Ah, the tandem work begins *updated with pix*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had thought of that framework back when I did that! I used to just pony the other horse off the back of the seat, tied with a quick-release knot to the backrest. No biting though!

Andrea

I'm always open to suggestions as this was just a prototype model! The biggest problem I need to resolve is how to make the whole thing easily removeable so I can pack the cart for travel and reassemble at the trail head. Right now it only fits in the back of the truck, which makes it hard for me to unload when the trailer is hitched. I'd also like to find somewhere else to tie the end of the lead as it's going to damage the foam of my seat back pretty quickly.

Leia
OH! you have a beach! Real, live water . . . .

I have cactus and goats heads
default_no.gif

I digress.

I frequently pony one or the other in our EE cart - so much time to condition and so little time to do it, so I have to make do with miles. I loosened the seat back screws and put in some flat tow-line nylon to make a loop around the bar itself, then retightened the seat.

From that loop I have attached a trailer tie - the quick release side clips on the loop and the snap side to the horse. Now I am harnessing both horses so I can drive one out, then swap them to come back.

As you say, this method isn't for everyone, but I know and trust my two: I know the stallion will face anything coming from behind or in front, the gelding will try to avoid "discolourations" like road lines and patches. But this is really helping him a lot. I did start out using a lead rope, but I have found the trailer tie, being a little stretchy, acts as a shock absorber, if Rascal decides to be silly. In preparation for this, I did tie Rascal with the trailer tie and intentionally spook him. Took him all of 3 minutes to learn that jumping back wasn't going to work much; the tie was just going to drag him forward.

The nylon loop has an adjustable sliding buckle I triple stitched in. I was thinking that would be the only way to get the loop on and off the seat bar. And if your EE is used for show, I guess you could put a halter fuzzy on it so it didn't rub the bar. I don't generally have problems with my stallion in company, but keep that little Vicks jar around just in case.

Cheryl

OH! you have a beach! Real, live water . . .
Sheryl, Here's a video from our 2008 Beachdrivers "tour."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fu9OJgmh-gk

taken by Daryl (BigDogsLittleHorses on this forum)

You'll see Daryl and his chestnut mare Dancer; Leia and Kody (little chestnut gelding); and Mingus (leggy bay) and me (non-leggy blonde). I don't remember if Liz and Mouse or Val and Bojangles (blue-eyed bay sabino) got any screen time.

Sheryl, Here's a video from our 2008 Beachdrivers "tour."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fu9OJgmh-gk

taken by Daryl (BigDogsLittleHorses on this forum)

You'll see Daryl and his chestnut mare Dancer; Leia and Kody (little chestnut gelding); and Mingus (leggy bay) and me (non-leggy blonde). I don't remember if Liz and Mouse or Val and Bojangles (blue-eyed bay sabino) got any screen time.
Hi Susanne,

I couldn't get the url to work
default_sad.png
but it's youtube! Gotta love that search!!

Mingus is Gorgeous!! and what a great trot he had going.

Hugs to Daryl for the great shots. I could just see PJ freighting down the wet sand. Rascal would likely have had a massive.

I miss the water so much, I'm almost ready to move to OR or WA.

Hi Susanne,

I couldn't get the url to work
default_sad.png
but it's youtube! Gotta love that search!!

Mingus is Gorgeous!! and what a great trot he had going.

Hugs to Daryl for the great shots. I could just see PJ freighting down the wet sand. Rascal would likely have had a massive.

I miss the water so much, I'm almost ready to move to OR or WA.
Hey there,

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9OJgmh-gk

This video used to be in 480P quality but youtube downgraded it to 360P and then letterboxed it.
default_frusty.gif

I think I have the raw footage from the camera and know some of it is in HD. Will have to re-do the video with improved quality and re-upload it.

Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I get for posting a link and not checking it before I leave for a few days...

I'm glad you were able to search for it, Sheryl. And thanks, Daryl, for posting the correct link.

Thanks for your comments on Mingus -- we're still both works in progress, but he is far ahead of me!

Latest posts

Back