What is the average cost of a Coggins a health paper in your area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS Classic Acres

Reaction score
So it seems that our vet just keeps raising prices, it is now $70 for coggins and health papers here, if you haul your horse in otherwise add another $50 to $75 for a farm call. This seems really high to me. So have we just had it really good in the past and I didn't realize how lucky we were?

Hmmm, I think that is about what it runs here. I want to say it is about $35-40 for the coggins and around $25 for the health certificate.

The call fee is right around there too. I usually try to get these things done while having other work done, like a gelding or floats.

Well So far is sounds like I just need to bite the bullet, pay up and stop whining :-> I might not travel out of state for shows as much this year. Wish we could use the health certificate for 30 day regaurdless of destitnation.

I think it was around $50 for coggins + and $50 for the farm call. So around $100 total.

Around $35 for coggins and $25 for health papers. I think we have a $70 farm call but we do coggins when the come to other work.

Just had some Coggins pulled this morning, $23. And that's the newer version with photos that they will email. Health certificate, don't need them often but I think it was $20 or $25 last year. Call fee for us is about $65...

Jan

thanks everyone! Have you ever been able to use your health papers for shows in different locations within the 30day timeframe they are good?

BTW MountainWoman I love your profile pic, it looks like your going to get a big kiss from your horse!!!
default_yes.gif

Have you ever been able to use your health papers for shows in different locations within the 30day timeframe they are good?

Absolutely! I always do that with my show horses. If I know what shows I'm going to, I have my vet list all of them on the health paper. I am paying $25 for a Coggins, $15 I think for a health paper and $45 for a farm call.

Wow. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you all what I pay. Here in good ole MO, it costs me $15.50 for a coggins. If you schedule several horses, it's only $12.00 each. A health paper (for a show I put several on one paper for general health inspection), it is $5 - $10 per paper. I don't live but a couple blocks from the vet, so I usually throw them in a trailer and drive approx a mile so there is no trip charge. Otherwise it's about $25 to come here. My other vet that is 25 miles away charges around $50 for trip unless he's already in this neighborhood, then it's less.
default_rolleyes.gif

thanks everyone! Have you ever been able to use your health papers for shows in different locations within the 30day timeframe they are good?

BTW MountainWoman I love your profile pic, it looks like your going to get a big kiss from your horse!!!
default_yes.gif

I was hanging out in the pasture enjoying the girls and my kissy face mare decided she wanted to join me for a relaxing snooze. Wish I had someone else there to do the picture taking. She's a sweetheart
default_yes.gif

$20 to $25 for Coggins, $10 to $20 for health papers, $35 to $45 for farm call depending which vet I use.

Coggins are $32, 30 day health papers are $20. Farm call is $50. Office visit fee of $10 if I take them to him.

I work for a equine vet in the Chicagoland area:

Farm call: $54

Coggins: $32 (the ones with photos)

Health Certificate: $19

default_yes.gif
At least here in Wisconsin the Health Certf. is good for 30 days all over. You do need to give the vet the list of states (places) you'll be going in that 30 days and they get listed on the paper. We don't need health papers to travel within the state.

Here in central Maine I pay $40 for a coggins test, its $70 for the farm call. Not sure what the health cert cost now. Always amazes me how different the prices can be depending where you live ! Everything seems to cost more in Maine and some states the vets charge so little for everything I wonder how they can possibly make a living.

As of last year, coggins was $25, health paper was $25 and farm call is $50 - grand total of $100. No discounts here for multiple horses being done. I usually take two horses to a show when funds allow so I'm usually looking at $150 for all that without shots included!

Hmmm - farm call tomorrow. Not sure what the farm call will cost right now - the last three I put together a mini community drive and only paid $15 - and each of the others paid different amounts, too (not sure if based on the number of horses - I always have the most, of course - or if she just split it 4 ways). I want to say the farm call is $65 to my farm now.

I do coggins/rabies "runs" about 4x a year. Coggins is $25/horse - I get a stack of blanks from the vet at each visit and I have them filled in with info and markings next time. The vet or her tech verifies markings and whorls. In a pinch, I can get coggins back in less than a week - there is an extra charge, haven't done it in a while. Rabies is $15/horse. My last two vet runs we've also floated teeth ($85 + drugs/horse) and done castrations ($150 + drugs & Pennicilian & Tet booster - depending on when I last gave WNEWT - she may just give that) - was going to do ultrasounds ($45/horse) but decided I'd either get foals from the breedings or I wouldn't (this time). She does shots for the dogs and cats as well (small animal rabies - $10). The last couple of visits, I've ended up doing other work - as seems the day of or before the vet arrives - something happens...

Because two friends are I are doing some swapping around of pastures, haul to each other's homes/pastures and haul out to ground drive, drive and ride our horses and ponies - we are required to have Coggins everytime our trailer leaves our driveway. I have a neighbor who is State Patrol with horses at the farm across the way from me and I think it's a standing joke to "stop the pony lady"... On occassion, I get stopped by someone - ...." waaahr ya' goin' this time? Ya, ya - papers all match what's in trailer - glad ya still use a stock type so we don't have to get in with them or unload, such a pain... O - You have a new wagon, can I see it??? Hey - the new personalized plates are good (SHETLAND)! OK, ya can go on yer way now...".

I generally start our babies on coggins and rabies at 6 months of age or when they are weaned. I've tried to balance it out so that I always do pretty much the same number of coggins/rabies each time... When I sell our ponies - they go with a stack of coggins & a vet print out of what they've had done - thru the years I've owned them.

Health certificates - I'm not sure. Last fall, when I hauled to TX I couldn't get to my regular vet and she couldn't come to me. I took mine in on the day I left to a not quite local vet who does mobile spay/neuters at the various communitites/townships - 2x a week. He was at a Food Lion just 10 miles from me. I paid over $225 to have two mares examined (one more extensively as she had started another round of eye infection and I had him verify and perscribe an eye ointment which I also paid for), take temps, went over where I was going and addresses (he put each planned stop on the health cert - took a while!), checked my coggins and the records I keep on the worming and shots I do. He did one health certificate with both mares on it. It was good for 30 days - we were on the road for a week before returning.

Never a dull moment here!

Latest posts

Back