What IS EPM?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Just saw on another post someone mentioning how Possoms can spread EPM and to get rid of them..Now my darn brain won't work again, (as always I blame it on my 2 strokes:) but what IS EPM exactly and what does it do?

Maxine
default_wacko.png

here's another link ... click

and here's one by H&R about the prevention, or at least reducing exposure ... click

A few years back, a horse at the boarding barn I'm at had EPM. It is treatable, but not curable to the best of my knowledge. It is sad watching it progress into the later stages, the horse I knew with it had trouble walking for months before they lost him. But he did live to be 33 years old, and since his owner managed it best she could he was a happy pony even in the last days of his life. The best thing you can do is recognize it early on and start treatment.

here's another link ... click

and here's one by H&R about the prevention, or at least reducing exposure ... click

A few years back, a horse at the boarding barn I'm at had EPM. It is treatable, but not curable to the best of my knowledge. It is sad watching it progress into the later stages, the horse I knew with it had trouble walking for months before they lost him. But he did live to be 33 years old, and since his owner managed it best she could he was a happy pony even in the last days of his life. The best thing you can do is recognize it early on and start treatment.

I am happy to report that EPM is treatable. I have a mare that tested positive for this nasty nasty disease, she was very sick and laid out flat unable to get up. But I got her diagnosed and on some very expensive medication for over a six week period, and she had a full recovery. This mare is now 21 years old and is a awesome jumping horse.

Early signs include horse is unable to back up and the tail is limp. Symptoms are very similiar to WNV, but treatment needs to be started asap. Never give up hope. Wendy

I couldn't believe I'd never heard of this before! Wow guess I have a lot of reading to do, but then with horses sold, guess it doesn't matter. However as I always say, knowledge is gold and makes you rich, someone else might need that info sometime
default_yes.gif

Wonder how many other things I missed over the years that I would have never heard of if not for this wonderful forum. Who knew, possoms! Yuk! Hate them anyway..but really I guess not my right to do so.

Thanks.

Maxine

I had a mare last year that came down with it...it can be spread not only by possums, but also by armadillos and raccoons, etc. She VERY quickly went from healthy and robust - to a walking rack of bones and was very weak and unsteady. The tests to determine if it is EPM are VERY expensive. So rather than test, and delay treatment waiting for the results, the vet and I decided to put her on the treatment. If she responded, that's what she had...and she responded quickly, made a full recovery, but had to be on the treatment for almost 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have it here far as I know:) Pray God from what I hear I wouldnt want it here either.Nasty business.

Will watch this thread though for experience as it's Spring and many people new to horses might benefit from it.

Maxine

Latest posts

Back