What is BOSS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Call me stupid but........I don't know what BOSS is! :eek:

I've heard it mentioned here many times. Please explain it's benefits.

BOSS..... is Black Oil Sunflower Seed

I've personally never used it but many say it improves coat condition/shine etc.....

Boss:

Black Oil Sunflowers Seeds have been included into many equine diets for many years. ¼ of a cup per day for a mini is said to enhance your horse’s hair coat and hair color. It is a source of fat, fiber, and some other nutrients.

Compliments of Dirty Holly

I had been feeding BOSS and not even knowing it. I had heard sunflower seed was good for the coat so i used it. Kept wondering what BOSS was, did I need to get it? Finally I asked a freind what it was and boy did I feel stupid!! :eek: I feed about 1/4 cup 1 time a day of BOSS and it makes a big defference for me. Shiney coats and the black horses are Jet black!! Give it a try. Plus you get a sunflower garden in the manure pile! :bgrin

Shelley<><

I'm feeding a cup a day to my mini's - am I feeding them too much? I also feed about 1/4 cup of flax (whole) per day, along with their grain/hay......

Thanks!

Mystic, BOSS is pretty high in fat, so 1 cup per mini per day may add a few pounds to their mid-section.

I started up with BOSS again a couple weeks ago. I ran out earlier in the winter, and just didn't buy another bag. Well, I have one mini that is a little on the skinny side, so decided to add BOSS back to their diets. 5 of my minis get 1/4 cup per day, the "skinny" one gets 1/2 cup and my half-Arab gelding gets 1/2 to 1 cup. The "skinny" one is looking less skinny since adding the extra BOSS to her diet, she's also getting some chopped hay that the other fillies aren't getting.

i started my mare on it last year , and she was a dark bay....and i lie NOT at the end of the year she was a DAPPLED black the difference was unbelievable....its the best thing since sliced bread
default_yes.gif
:

So is it good for ALL coloured horses, or just the blacks? I have a palomino (light) and possibly a black coming to our property too.

Also, is it just the regular kind that the birds eat? It's not husked/shelled or anything?

I've noticed that there are sunflower seeds in his feed already. It's a complete feed.

Would I need to add extra? He's only a weanling so I want to be careful with his diet.

Thanks in advance.

hi again, they are only the black ones in the shells, hence the name lol, i noticed when i fed them to my stallion whos a pintaloosa, almost white in coat with some black spots, that he got some black hairs going through his coat, and i took him off it, i would say just keep it for the darker horses,i dont know how it effects the palamino coat, ill be interested to hear also.....goodluck

I like the effects of BOSS - my horses summer coats shine like crazy without alot of hard work :bgrin

Now, I just got back into mini's this past fall (November time frame actually) and so far this winter all of them are in good weight - meaning neither over nor under. I feed them 2 cups Poulin Endurance, 1 cup BOSS and 1/4 cup flax once a day - with all the grass hay they can eat.....my one horse gets 2 cups BOSS, 1 cup flax and a huge scoop of grain (along with hay)....my ponies are different as one gets fat on air and the other needs a ton of food to keep weight on!!! But they all look (and feel) to be in correct weight. I'm saying this only because I realize BOSS is high fat - that's why I feed it. I get the benefits of "corn oil" without the mess :aktion033:

I do know that my darker animals shine like crazy and in certain light even my white (fat) pony shines!! Guess we will see this spring when I clip the mini's...since I don't clip my horse or ponies?!

Thanks!

Candy

Latest posts

Back