what injurys have yous had from horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,I too am losing muscle.Can't even pick up a full bale of hay(cut it and take sections)or a 50 lb bag of feed anymore.I go to the gym 2 or 3 times weekly and got a workout set up by the trainer /owner.Told her all my issues-surgeries and joint issues and she worked on a plan for me.I hate going but I am better when I go and do the exercises.I am like you and love my critters.Several years ago my grandaughter started a conversation"Mom-Mom when you get old and go to "the Home"-stopped her right in the middle.Told her in no uncertain terms I was n ot going since they didn't have animals there.I have it planned.When I get to the point I can't do the stairs I have big rooms downstairs for my bed and have a bath with shower on first floor.I can look out my window to the back yard and see my critters that are not in the house.My upstairs has 3 huge bedrooms and full bath so it can be easily converted to a nice living quarters for live in help.I'm good to go.This farm has always been my favorite place to be since I was a kid even though I wasn't raised here.Grew up in town, but I'm a country girl.I've even planned my own memorial service after I'm gone.Big hoedown in the barn with all my friends in jeans and bringing their trucks, trailers and critters and lots of country music.Hope it's not for a long time.It's one party I'll be sorry to miss.Maybe I should have it before I check out of this earth,but I might be embarrassed to hear what some of them have to say.I want my gravestone to say "SHE HAD A GOOD TIME"
sorry I feel like I'm hi-jacking the thread, but I wanted to be cremated and ashes spread in the horse pasture. Kids all said NO! Hubby was in the army during Viet Nam so we have spots reserved at the Vet cemetary, I don't want to go there, but thats what the kids want. The guy across the road cattle farmer had the perfect funeral. His coffin was put on a hay wagon and driven to the cemetary by tractor. Then we all went to the barn for a big party, band, beer, food, a big celebration of his life. I still miss him, big bear of a guy, always driving around on his John Deere. God Rest his Soul! Some day us oldsters will meet him in the big pasture in the sky! Any way for now we will endure all of the horses mischief, bites, kicks, whatever they serve us, cause we love them, and more importantly we need them. Yes we are crazy horse people, wouldn't have it any other way.

Let's see.... Left arm broken in 27 places, broken thumb requiring 3 pins, rotator cuff, fractured ribs and back, concussion, torn acl, broken tailbone. All from the "Big" horses
default_biggrin.png

I've been very lucky. One concussion, horse zigged, I zagged, he was 16.2 so it was a long way down. Very brusied foot, sandwich of concret, my foot, Clydesdale broodmare's foot. That really hurt. Really messed up knee, very ill mannered young horse and a tree. That kneecap popped out alot for several years but its much better now. Random sprained fingers, wrists, ankles, a few bites but nothing serious. At least now when I get stepped on, it doesn't hurt as much.

Over the years I have been fairly lucky. Lots of tumbles.

With my big horse (many, many years ago) back end came out from under him in the snow and down we went, just caused my bones to have a larger amount of space between them causing them to be very week.

It wasn't till a few years back with a mini yearling that I had my first broken bone. Doing yearly shots she sent up and over as I held her and I went with her causing the foot to turn somehow undernearth and breaking my manicus. Still hurts to this day, specially on bad weather days!!! My vet even called to check on me the next day
default_yes.gif

broken foot for me.. still have some problems with it as I waited almost a week to go to the doctor.. other then that not a thing

Diane

Broken tailbone, bruises and lacerations, bloodied mouth from getting whacked in the face by a horse head, bit in the neck, bitten everywhere, not kicked too often, trampled, broken toes. Definitely bad neck/whiplash from many spills. Hmm, and I'm going riding this weekend. I don't think we do ever learn.

Hmm that I can remember I have been kicked by foals, nipped(not really bitten) but my worse injury was when I was kicked very badly in my lower back by my anglo-trakhner mare, Scholastika(Graditz + Skip Action). Tika now resides in Alabama at Altamont Sport Horses as I sold her to them soon after that incident. http://www.altamontsporthorses.com/ if you would like to see photos of her click on mares, then click on her name to go to her seperate page.

I've had broken ribs from being bucked off on three separate occasions. I also broke my foot one winter when I stepped on a frozen horse apple and my foot rolled off of it. The worst injuries I've had were all from big horses as well, and all happened within the last ten years, even though I've had horses and rode all my life.

First one, ten years ago... I had gotten a new horse and was saddle training it. He was doing very well in the round pen. It was late May and I bathed him and put Show Sheen on him to show off his beautiful blood-bay coloring as we were having company. For some stupid reason, before the company arrived, I decided to get on him bareback and ride him down a trail. He saw a rabbit and spooked. I fell to the ground, because the danged Show Sheen was so slippery! The horse reared and came down on my upper arm. The pain was incredible! Went to the ER and found his hoof print on my upper arm! He'd also pulled the bicep muscle completely off the bone. I had several surgeries to repin it to the bone, but so many lymph nodes were also crushed that it was a year of physical therapy, in which they had to do some weird stimulation of all the major lymph nodes in my body. It was over a year before I could use that arm without terrible pain, and it's never been the same.

Then, about 7 years ago, I was riding the same horse and we were in a sandy area, and suddenly I could feel the horse starting to go down, as if he were going to go down and roll in the sand! I tried pulling him up but couldn't, so i tried to jump out of the saddle, and *almost* made it. Not quite, though. My one foot was still caught in the stirrup and when the horse went down he twisted my leg under him, tearing the ACL and popping my knee cap. Back to surgery again.

Then, just over three years ago, the SAME D@MNED HORSE.... we were riding on our trails, with my husband and a friend riding behind us. My horse was always such a fast walker, and the others were lagging far behind. So, we were going down a very slight hill and I pulled my horse up to wait for the others. He stood there for maybe two minutes, and then suddenly out of the blue, he gave a totally unexpected wild buck, which threw me out of the saddle and into a tree. I broke my collar bone and completely tore my rotator cuff in half. Another surgery and five months of recuperation.

I still love that horse like crazy, but I just don't ride him any more, LOL! He's got incredible ground manners and is so pretty!

Then, just over three years ago, the SAME D@MNED HORSE.... we were riding on our trails, with my husband and a friend riding behind us. My horse was always such a fast walker, and the others were lagging far behind. So, we were going down a very slight hill and I pulled my horse up to wait for the others. He stood there for maybe two minutes, and then suddenly out of the blue, he gave a totally unexpected wild buck, which threw me out of the saddle and into a tree. I broke my collar bone and completely tore my rotator cuff in half. Another surgery and five months of recuperation.

I still love that horse like crazy, but I just don't ride him any more, LOL! He's got incredible ground manners and is so pretty!

Sandy

I'm so sorry but his had me laughing! There is a old saying about some of these guys, they are good on the ground but difficult to ride, or they are good to ride but difficult on the ground. We also had a mare that was great when shown under saddle but a bit_ch on the ground. Sold her! She's the one that bite my arm so hard I still have a knot seven years later, but a great western pleasure horse under saddle.

I need to add not laughing over the injuries, just the statment Same Da__m horse, and still ove him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theresa, that horse really was an incredible gentleman on the ground. When I'd clip his forelocks I could sit right on the ground completely under his belly and never worry at all! He never invaded my space, either. I can lead him anywhere. When I have him in his stall and I need to walk in there I just open the door and say, "Back!" and he backs completely up out of my way. He walks into a trailer without missing a beat.

I've trained him to "give me a kiss" and to hide his head under my arm when I say "Shame on you" and if I tell him to say "Hello" he'll pay the ground three times. He does other stuff too. I've NEVER worried about him biting me, not ever. He's just fabulous, but for some reason he never took to being ridden.

The first time we had to cross water when I was trail riding with the saddle club, we had to tie him to TWO horses to drag him across a stream that was about five feet across and 8" deep! But by the end of that year, I was riding him across RIVERS where he actually had to swim! He just always seemed so scared of everything outside of his pasture, dry lot or stall. But as far as a horse on the ground, I've never had another one as safe.

Latest posts

Back