what injurys have yous had from horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
ive had broken toe ,whip lash, brused tail bone which i still have neck problams

ive had 4 broken ribs that damaged my kidneys from a big stallion horse kicked me.

but these were all from big horse ...................

what about you

Okay... forever damaged collar bone &tail bone, all my right ribs broke, a bruised liver & kidney, broken elbow, shattered wrist I needed surgery on and pins for, 2x sprained left wrist, 1x broke left, 2x broke right, 1x broke left foot, 1x right, too many to count sprained ankles, and all my fingers broken over and over again and 2 broken toes, will add more later. :p

16 years of riding and 7 years of training.
wink.gif

eta - 2 concussions, hyperextended knee, dislocated shoulder

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad back from coming off my Arabian, hyperextended knee from same horse; he also crunched a knee into a corner of a pillar. Bitten, kicked, stepped on. Flipped over on.

And we keep doing this WHY???
default_laugh.png

Lost count... one of the scariest ones was a head injury where I lost my eyesight for 20 minutes, disclocated and broke my shoulder that day. Horse attacked me on the ground while I was unconscious. he was not my horse.... The last bad one where my bargain dealer horse bucked me off and drove my head into the ground breaking my helmet and messed up my neck and shoulder forever and stomped on me as he was headed back to the barn.... I remembered the quote from the man from snowy river.. "and you get straight back on, you don't let him beat you'... LOL, I dragged my beaten self back onto that horse, rode him back to where he dumped me, back to the barn, crawled off and then realized I was hurt real bad. Adrenaline must have been raging, I didn't realize how bad I was hurt, I got taken to the eroom right after that... Man did that hurt, I had a hemotoma the size of a giant pumpkin on my hip. .That one accident made me give up riding and later I found the wonderful world of miniature horses. I never remembered the ground being quite that hard, As I age, my horses got smaller, no regrets. I really get as much joy from my minis and never looked back... Love driving my mini Ike around the farm. Will always miss my best riding horse Smokey though. In 10 years he never took a wrong step, never put me off and took care of me and he was the best. He died way too young,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broken ankle, broken back from being flipped over on. That did me in for riding. Had my right ear sewn back back on from a bite. broken ribs, fingers, and 2 broken wrists at the same time. All from big equine. My husband brought me to a miniature horse show while I was healing from my broken wrists. I was hooked that day. Love my minis.

I am with you Field of Dreams WHY!

I broke my tailbone due to a fall at a show
default_blush.png
, a concussion from a different fall in my riding ring, and a large hematoma from being kicked in the leg by my Quarter Horse gelding. So, all in all not too many accidents after 25 + years.
default_thumbup.gif

Besides the countless bumps, bruises, and sore feet, 2 spinal injuries that I still have issues with and missing a tip of a finger. Thanks to the spinal injuries I no longer ride.

35 years riding horse's at the time, no accidents... had just started wearing a helmet.

Will be 5 years this coming Dec... came off a young horse, onto frozen ground and shattered my back from my waist down.. plus all the other damage to long to list.

Still dealing with the after math of this, have to walk with a cane. Glad I wore the helmet, other wise I doubt I would be here.

I still ride but only on Icelandic's and only horse's I train. These are my last two Icelandic's and once they get too old, I will not longer ride. I also wear a Beta3/ASTM rated Protection Vest and a helmet of course.

When I get my Hyperbike.. will continue to drive wee Maggie of course.
default_biggrin.png

I've been lucky with only scratches and bruises from my biggie horses, however my sister was not so lucky with one of my big horses. One of my first horses was barn sour and my sister was going to break her of it...so she thought. My sister was thrown off and suffered a broken neck with paralysis. The paralysis was only temporary and after they put the halo on her a few days after the accident (a brace that bolts into your skull), she was able to gain most of her movement back. The rest came later with therapy. It was one of the scariest moments of my life, I was only 12 when it happened and of course I felt responsible.

I've been pretty lucky over the years I think.

Broken arm at age 6 from being thrown off a donkey. My parents thought it was a good idea when I asked for a horse to buy me an intact male donkey off the side of the road. They put me on him, without anyone actually ensuring he was ridable, with no saddle, no helmet and only a halter.
default_no.gif
Plus I had NO riding experience. So that ride lasted about 2 minutes and resulted in him bucking me off and I landed on my arm. Oh well. It healed and I still rode that %$@& donkey even with my cast on.

I would say the only other somewhat serious injuries were from two falls off my riding horse I had as an adult. One was my fault, one she got spooked. Each resulted in a concussion and the second one was worse. Headaches for months, nausea for weeks, and also had a lot of deep bruising on my hip and my back still hurts every now and then to the point I have to stay in bed for a day or two. After the second fall, I decided riding over 40 wasn't for me and maybe I just needed to stick with my minis.
default_yes.gif
My riding horse was also trained to drive single and double so I sold her to a man that needed another Belgian to make a team with his existing mare. She's happy and I still get to see her, but even though I'm tempted to ride her a bit when I go visit, I resist the temptation as it's a LONG WAY down from her 17.1h back!
default_laugh.png

Other than that, just lots of kicks, stepped on toes, bites, etc from various minis over the years.

Other than bruises, none from the minis. Concussion from one of my biggies (riding accident)

Ouch everyone.

That is why I am into minis.

Years ago, horse spooked because of snake.

Flipped over horse and broke my humorous bone and than lost my courage in riding.

Been safe so far with our minis, but just because they are small does not mean to let your guard down.

Fracture in L-1, (thrown into wall indoor arena) broke tailbone twice, concussion. Have a slew of back problems and no longer ride that is why I got into miniatures!
default_wub.png

I had one horse that would step on your foot (the one on the opposite side that she was on) and she would twist her foot while she was on your foot. She broke my big toe in the joint.

I can't blame my broken ankle on the horse. I stepped off of the feed trailer porch and broke my ankle.

I was training a TB that I saved from the meat buyer. He was off the track. A stable bought him to be a lesson horse. But he took his led opposite of a normal horse. The trainer popped his tendons on both front legs. I got him sound and this accident was totally my fault. He was green broke and I road him home from the stable. He didn't like to be ridden with out another horse. So I am talking to my family about training the horse sidesaddle. So, brilliant me, I am sitting sidesaddle on my english saddle. Randy was 16.2. He side stepped me and I landed on my bottom. I got a sever concussion (guess we know where my brains are) and messed up my neck.

My next accident was years and years later. Also my fault. I had a QH/Appy mare that was dumb as a stump and as smart as I was, I skipped ALL of the ground work. She charged full speed at the fence that was chain link. I picked up all the pieces on the other side. She strained me through the fence like spaghetti.

Yes, there were other bumps and bruises along the way. But, I did finally have surgery on my neck injury from when I landed on my butt. My disks were pressing on my spinal cord and they had to be removed. I have a good sized titanium plate in my neck.

Now I have a messed up knee. One of my minis did it. And yes, once again, my fault. Missy had opened the gate and she and Ellie got out into the yard. I propped the gate open and told them both to get back in the pen. Ellie went in and Missy went the other direction. When I got Missy in Ellie went out again. I grabbed a hand full of mane and tugged to get her to come with me. She turned the other direction and her back legs tripped me. I only fell from my foot to my knee. But...my knee was damaged. I had a big bump on the front of my leg about 3" below my knee and a big bruise about 4" above my knee. I went to the ER because I couldn't walk on that leg. They did ex-rays. They said nothing was broken. I couldn't walk for about a week and it still collapses with out notice. Yes, this one happened this year.

P.S.

if there are misspelled words or clumps of words the spell check keeps doing it ;p

Kicked in the hip and broke my femer and was thrown aprox 10+ ft

2 broken toes- now wear steal toes ALWAYS

got bit in the chest where I now have a huge bite mark scare.

scratchs/bruses

I've been kicked dozens of times by mares. Been bitten in the head from forehead down to under the jaw, required stitches. Been kicked in the butt, head, and back (double barrel) by a mare who pinned me in a stall. Been kicked in the phone (in my pocket) which left a phone-shaped bruise for a week (stallion did that one). Been nipped, bumped, smacked, flicked, etc. Broken dozens of toes, including the time a mare stepped on me while I was collecting semen from a stallion, who was also on her back at the time. 1000+lbs on my foot for almost a minute. Nothing I could do till he finished!

Wow. You guys have really been banged up. I feel so lucky I will probably buy a giant of a horse when I turn 60 and ride it until I turn 90! My scrapes are minor in comparison. When I was 10 I begged for a horse. My dad bought me a "very gentle" mare at the sale barn for $75. The real truth was that she had pneumonia and was more the hellbitch than gentle. Once she ran under the clothes line while I was riding her. It was a 4 strand and all I had to do was wait for my voicebox to heal and re-grow skin on my neck. Then she bucked me off into a fence once. No harm done, I was young enough to ride in the PBR and made of titanium. Then she bucked me off into a woodpile once. I have to admit broken tailbones are painful, I don't care who you are. Then once she got loose from me and ran out into the highway...that guy driving the 18 wheeler looked really amazed that he had a horse running down the highway in front of him with a girl begging him (the truckdriver to WHOA!) And when I rode with friends I always had to ride in the back because she kicked at all horses and riders. The great thing about me having a crazy horse was that my parents worried so much about me being hurt by a horse they gave into my plea for a motorcycle when I was 15.
default_new_rofl.gif
My sister said I was spoiled, I tell her she simply was not adventurous and was obviously very jealous.

My minis are very sweet. Knock on wood, the worst that has happened is one colt kicked my hand when my shadow fell across him while he had his head in his feed bucket. I was far enough away from him that I should have been safe but somehow his bucking frenzy caught me offguard and I got a good gash in the top of my hand.

And then there was the episode where I had a sneaky mare foal in the field and in the ensuing excitement of scooping of the foal to carry to the safety of the barn I got caught in crossfire of mom and others kicking and ended up with a kick to my leg and ended up on crutches for a couple of days and a bad case of edema.

I count my lucky stars!

Very serious head injury years ago. I am very, very blessed to be alive and healthy today. I got into minis because of my fear of riding again. That changed 5 years ago, and I am now happily riding Quarter Horses and learning reining with a lot of support from my friends and family.

Liz N.

i told my hubby about this topic and told him about all the responses and he said "we're all crazy horse people!"

lol!

OUCH! Is all I have to say after reading all of the replies.

In 35 years of riding, I have been very blessed. I fell off A LOT when I was younger, but I bounced so much better then and was blessed never to be seriously hurt. The summer after I graduated high school I was riding double behind a guy I was dating. We were cantering through this patch of woods and I was just getting ready to tell him to slow him to a trot because the horse we were riding was very quick and athletic and I knew if he decided to go one way around a tree, we would go the other - I wasn't quick enough and that is exactly what happened! The guy on front flipped and his back hit the tree breaking three of his ribs. I hit the tree with my face getting a broken nose and a nice concussion. There is something to be said for adrenaline though. I always follow the "get back on" philosophy, too - so I chased down the horse, brought him back and climbed up on him and rode back to the barn. My date declined to get back on.
default_rolleyes.gif

Most recently I wrenched my knee and had a severe sprain to my ankle - not from a fall.....I stepped on a frozen horse poop ball and wrenched my leg.
default_blush.png

Barbara

Latest posts

Back