What feed do you suggest for a thin little mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Some of you likely have read about Delilah my little mini who was neglected, not exercised and thin. Her hip bones do stick out and I can feel them pretty prominately. I have not added any sort of supplement as of yet. I only had her a week. She is just eating hay right now. She is on a regular worming cycle due in April. I know that is done. So here are my questions?

1. What would you start her on? I really only have access to either Tractor Supply, or I can have our local feel mill mix her some feed up.

2. What amount would you start her on? I have no idea what she weighs. She is a petite little thing.

Val

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what she was on before? If nothing, then you can start fresh picking a grain to feed her. What kind of hay are you feeding? How much?

If you wouldn't mind adding Delilah's stats here, so no one has to find the other thread? So, age, height, build/weight. [And, perhaps a picture.]

If you have access to TSC, then perhaps the easiest thing to do might be to try her on the Purina Mini and Pony feed, its sold at most TSCs.

Minis usually don't have trouble gaining weight! Usually just the opposite. I would have a vet check for worms, especially since you just got her. She may need a specific worm treatment other than what they used in the past. This is a common cause of an undernourished looking mini. Hope this helps.

Mine was underweight (90lbs at 27"/10 mos) I wormed her and started her off with good coastal, grass and 1 cup twice a day of Total equine feed (alfalfa based feed, excellent for underweight horses but only sold through distributors and some feed stores). She gained weight well on it BUT we literally had to teach her how to eat anything other than forage, she had no idea how to chew it, after she got the hang of it there was no stopping her! Now (and I believe that to be the aftermath of being starved) she LITERALLY eats everything, from spikey yucca plants to anything else she can get her mouth on, so she's muzzled in the pasture.

Whatever grain you start her on, check the fat content listed on the bag and try to find one that is a higher percentage. When starting out, I only feed a small amount - maybe just a quarter pound of feed or less per day - and gradually increase it to the amount stated on the bag. Make sure you weigh your feed. Usually the amount stated for a yearling is fine for a mini. Or if the bag lists amounts to feed based on the horse's weight, do the math - a 1000 pound horse is probably 4 or 5 of your thin little one, so divide accordingly.

If you can order through some of the popular horse catalogs, I have had great results putting weight on thin horses with Uckele's CocoSoya along with a grain ration and good quality hay. It's a liquid that contains Omega 3 fatty acids (among other things) and is calorie dense. Usually one gallon and the thin horse is blooming. I use one squirt twice a day (about 2 ounces total), just top dessed on the feed. A gallon is around $20 plus shipping.

That said, if you can feed three or even four times per day - both hay and grain - that will help too. Rather than give two big meals, try three or four smaller meals. You can feed a little extra than you would with just two meals. As always, start small and work your way up!

Best of luck to you and keep us apprised of her progress!

All minis are different. Some need a much more feed than others to stay at a good weight. Tractor supply has calf manna, a great supplement to any grain to add calories. You don't need much, but it is a great way to add that extra something when horses are lacking. Soaked alfalfa is easy on the stomach and also a great way to boost calories without being harsh. I personally do not like the miniature horse and pony feed, it is made with the idea of minis being easy keepers and you need to feed a lot to horses that are lacking enough calories in their diet. Purina senior equine is an excellent way to gently add calories if you are looking for an easy to digest gentle feed, eventhough it is labeled for seniors, any horse needing a gentle feed that is easy on the digestive track would benefit.

I personally would use the senior equine, you can add warm water if you are ever concerned about her not getting enough fld. It fluffs up to a mash in no time with warm water. I would likely add some soaked alfalfa to her diet too. If you still aren't starting to see some results in her coat and condition in 4 weeks, I would add some calf manna at that point. I just know what has always worked for me.

I asked about calf manna recently and was told its no longer good because they changed it and are now using soy?

Well, soy is in many feeds these days, so its not always easy to find a soy free product. Sometimes you have to use what is available and will do the job you need it to.

I got a very skinny old quarter horse in decent flesh with soaked hay cubes 50/50 alfalfa/timothy and also fed a decent supplement. The dental proved to be valuable too.

Back