What do you where when you show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MySweetElegance

Reaction score
Hey

Im posting again but being new I need to ask all I can, I was wondering if you all could show me what you wear when you show. both local and at big shows.

The crazy thing is I will be showing against Professionals cause I cant have an amature card cause I give lessons and helped train a few horses for money so Im jumping into this head first Im kinda scared
default_unsure.png

I've only been showing for a few years and bought most of my clothes at the thrift stores. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on clothes until I knew I was going to like it. Since I decided that I like showing I just bought a few nice outfits on e-bay and some other online venues. Anyway, I usually wear black pants, nice shirt, usually sleaveless, and a nice tailored jacket. Sometimes I wore a vest with a long-sleeved shirt. You don't want to overshadow your horse, but you want to look good and well put together.

Ditto to the above post.

My basic outfit always starts with black slacks. I have found some neat jackets at Thrift Stores. My favorite jacket is a nice loose one with a black background and gold threads woven through it.......Problem is, is I've lost a bit of weight this past summer, so the August show I went to -- I swam in the darn thing!

Oh, and I have a classic cream blouse with a bit of lacing at the color that I wear underneath.

MA

I agree with those that have posted already. Start with some basic slacks or black jeans (local shows) ad a nice shirt and a jacket from the second-hand store. You can always dress up the jacket with beads or glue on jewels; or change the collar by adding velvet or suede maybe some touches at the cuff or pocket to match the collar.

Local shows aren't big on glamour but the big (as World or Nat'l) shows are.

Provided you don't mind seeing an "old lady", I have some pictures with my horses in my show clothes on my site. (see link at bottom - click "our horses") Each horse has their own photo "album".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I used to not really know what to wear to shows :DOH! , but now, I have got kindof brave, I have several show jackets in the brighter colors(I.E. Teal, Royal Blue, Turquiose, Pink) Then I have a Navy, and a Tan jacket,, I wear black slacks most of the times, sometimes Sand colored ones, and with my Navy blazer, I have Navy slacks...oh, and Hobby Horse slinkies, I own so many of them , however personally, I couldn't afford the price of most of this stuff, but I go to thrift stores, and EBAY!!
default_yes.gif

I like to wear tailored looking jackets over black sleeveless (tank but not ribbed) tops and black slacks (and ariat boots!). I have gotten many beautiful show jackets from eBay and I wear them also to the office.

Don't be nervous. You'll have a blast. Some of the ammy's are really as good as the professionals and many "novice" people show in open, too. Most ammy's will show both ammy and open.

If you are showing in Halter you can usually get away with wearing a blazer with some kind of decoration, I've seen people show with it plain though. In performance such as halter obstacle, jumper, hunter, and showmanship you can wear what would be a Showmanship Jacket for people who show big horses. Driving you can pretty much wear anything from a blazer to a dress. It depends on your class. Usually I've found people showing in Single Pleasure to dress more formally than in Country but I could easily be mistaken. You wear silks in roadster.

You can usually find some really neat stuff for showing on eBay. I've gotten the majority of my performance jackets there. I've found it harder to search specifically for halter blazers but iif you find something nice you can always add some sparkles.
default_wink.png
We've learned that you CAN hunt them down, they're out there! However, there are top class show jackets go for big $$$ at stores that specialize in them.

Latest posts

Back