What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMolly

Reaction score
Any one care to critique this girl? She is a 3 year old. I know with all the fuzz it is hard to really tell, but in general, what do you think? I know her head is a bit big and plain, and with her winter fuzz, it looks a little like a buffalo head! That is why I added the head shot. She is a really sweet girl. I have really enjoyed the critique threads, it is really helping me look at my little herd in a new way. Please be honest, my feelings won't be hurt, just trying to learn!

Gail

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she is a cutie, nice color! are you planing on showing her? i love the ears, i dont think her head is that plan at all, nice long mane too, nice girl!
default_biggrin.png

I hate to critique winter woolie pictures because the fuzz covers up what is really under all that but i'll give it a shot
default_smile.png

From straight on in the face she has a nice profile and wide forhead, large dark eye and small perky pointy ears. Her neck my be a little short but i think under that fuzz her neck is nice and thin, possibly a little budlge down towards the bottom of her neck. Her head (from a side view) is pretty plain and flat over the nose, i'd like to personally see a little bit more 'concaveness' under the eye (then agian, some would argue that is a dwarf charicteristic lol). I think her necks comes out nice, however she is lacking a strong shoulder and front end. She might be slightly (very slightly!) over at the knee ?

I like her length of back, some might say she is a tad long in the back HOWEVER i like my horses with just a tad bit more back on them. I'm not to crazy about her topline, i like a flat topline looking at it from a halter horse point of view (and that is what is 'in'). She has a VERY low tailset and possibly even gooserumped (I have a hard time telling between gooserump and just having a low tailset). She looks deep in the girth though, that is nice
default_smile.png
. Her hooves look good. She could use a bit more leg legth maybe (?).

I'd like to see a flatter croup on this mare too and a fuller hip.

Pretty mare
default_aktion033.gif

I'm really not good at seeing through hair. I'm surprised each spring the way horses I've owned for years look clipped as I just cannot "see" through winter coats.

With your girl, I do see some things I can comment on. Although you say her head is plain, I think she has a very good expression. To me, just seeing her first picture, she's what I would figure is a very sweet mare. I love her little apostrophe ears and looks like she's got a nice, strong hip. Her color and markings are awesome.

If I had a magic wand, I'd give her longer legs and probably a nicer / higher set neck. She could use a higher set to her tail and she looks like she could be a little sickle hocked.

Just like with any horse, there are good and and not so good things to notice. If I could, there are things I'd fix with that magic wand on each of my own horses, too
default_smile.png

Leeana, thank you so much for commenting. I realize fuzzy pics are hard to comment on. I do agree on the tail and head. The rest I don't know much about yet! But I think I see what you are saying. Thanks again!
default_smile.png

Thanks Jill, she is a real sweet mare, with just enough 'tude to make her alot of fun!

I can't wait to unwrap all of mine!

I would say that although a head shape and size is somewhat arbitrary (though oddly it is the most favorite and common feature people look at first...go figure. ;) as in "you don't ride a head" hers is plain but not unpleasant. she has nice, large eyes to go with, and it is not ugly.

What her conformational shortcomings say to me even through the hair, though with the hair, they either may not be as bad or they may be worse is that she has a weak and short hip angle. She needs more depth of hip and then her longish back will not look out of place so much. Also, though her tailset looks low, it would also look more appropriate if her angle were more "right" and in proportion to her overall build, as it would naturally come up.

Her coupling and loin area look "off" as a result of how she's made in that area, and I don't know the whys and the hows or how this will affect her soundness, it just looks wrong to me. I believe it affects her ability to get under herself, but then again, oftentimes horses that are made poorly perform just fine, even at the things they shouldnt' be able to do if you go by the book.

Her front legs appear to be over at the knee.

Her neck ties in low and has a dip in front of the wither. It appears to be ewe-necked as well.

I know this sounds like a lot "wrong" but I would say she is overall not that bad. Depending on what her sire and dam look like, she could be well hiding some nice genetics, but this is not a mare I would choose for breeding based on her appearance alone. I know you did not ask for that decision, this is just "my opinion."

There's just too much off about her. If you want to clean her up a little bit and clip her, you may get a bit different opinion or better idea of what her build is. All in all, before you go making decisions, it's best to learn yourself what to look for as well as ask opinions of people who are better qualified and can see her in person.
default_smile.png

The hair could accentuate some flaws and hide others, but these things are what I see on this horse.

Liz

Latest posts

Back