What do you think about someone selling a dwarf for profit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
Among all the recents ads of the Sales Board, with people desperate to sell their horses, was one for a dwarf for a fair amount of money. Maybe I should specialize in defective animals,-it sold real quick. I think this is wrong. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all if I had a dwarf I would not sell it but I would try to find it the best home possible if I couldnt keep him/her

But I do not have a problem with other people selling them as long as they represent the horse as a dwarf and are honest about its problems etc. I think for some they hope that by charging a price they will get a good home. But we all know just because someone pays doesnt mean its a good home.

What I do have a problem with is if a dwarf is advertised as a stallion or breeding mare.

Very touchy area.

Personally I do not think they should ever be sold.

If I had one and could not give it the time it needed and a good home turned up as they often do for these maimed little things, even when there is a queue of healthy animals looking for homes, then I would place it on permanent loan.

It would remain my property.

Very touchy area.Personally I do not think they should ever be sold.

If I had one and could not give it the time it needed and a good home turned up as they often do for these maimed little things, even when there is a queue of healthy animals looking for homes, then I would place it on permanent loan.

It would remain my property.
Why do good homes turn up for these "maimed little things" and not useful horses? I bought a Shetland Pony at an auction a couple of years ago, who has bad legs and assorted other issues, and everyone else wanted to buy it as a riding pony. It would not have survived. So, I guess I understand people wanting to help the down-trotten. But it burns my britches, as I lower my prices again and again for healthy, sound animals.

I totally agree that they should not be sold. If they have to go to another home it should be just given to those people after checking to be sure they can handle the health issues and other responsibilities of having a dwarf. I am just sick when people sell those worthless little things for more money than anyone can get for their good horses right now. I went to a sale last year where three dwarfs were sold one was for 4000, another for 3800, and the other one which was a colt was 1800. The broodmares and show horses werent even hitting the 500 mark and there were some nice horses at that sale. Sorry if I offended anyone by calling the dwarfs worthless but...well...they sort of are
default_smile.png

To me every horse has value.

I remember years ago I had helped a forum member place their dwarf. Both the owner and I got back pictures of this "worthless" dwarf nuzzling a special needs child in her wheelchair. That dwarf still goes to special needs children events and the kids just fall in love with her. To these kids who have so many problems to see this little horse who also has problems just is priceless. And shes so little shes on their level so that they are not scared. I think she has a very important job and so do the kids that she brightens their day.

So while I understand what you meant, please dont call them worthless just because they are not "normal"

To me every horse has value.
I remember years ago I had helped a forum member place their dwarf. Both the owner and I got back pictures of this "worthless" dwarf nuzzling a special needs child in her wheelchair. That dwarf still goes to special needs children events and the kids just fall in love with her. To these kids who have so many problems to see this little horse who also has problems just is priceless. And shes so little shes on their level so that they are not scared. I think she has a very important job and so do the kids that she brightens their day.

So while I understand what you meant, please dont call them worthless just because they are not "normal"
That is really special! I do know of a place in IL, that teaches troubled kids how to care for farm animals and they have a little dwarf too. I guess I just object to people profitting from selling them. If sellers would donate the money to a rescue, it would be nice. But, we all need money these day, so I guess people try to make it, where they can get it! And it was hopefully, a kind-hearted person that bought the recent one that sold. There is another ad now, for a woman lookking for a little FREE dwarf, as a companion for her dwarf. I imagine it costs more to care for these little dwarves properly.

I agree that, if fairly and accurately advertised, if someone chooses to sell a dwarf rather than place it, I don't have a problem with this. But it is a grey area. In some cases, selling rather than placing or giving requires some commitment. If you have to pay a pretty penny for something you are going to think twice about it. It's not going to be a whim or taken lightly.

On the other hand, there are lots of stupid rich people.

I think common sense has to come into play here, on the seller/giver/loaners end. Do what you need or want to do, but be honest and make sure whatever your doing that the animal has a good home who can care for the special needs.

Personally, if I had a dwarf that had serious issues and I could not care for it, unless I was 110% confident in a new home I would probably put it down. Flame me all you want, but to me, that is more humane than running the risk of the animal getting tossed from home to home, not cared for, abused, etc.

I was at a show last summer and there was an exhibitor that was showing an obvious dwarf. I have no problem if people want to show them in showmanship or an easy obstacle class or something for fun, at local unrated shows, but this dwarf was being driven, and the driver was not a child. Then they took the horse in a jumping class, which he tried hi heart out to do but he physically could not. I felt so bad. This is the kind of home that I would not want a dwarf in . . .

I totally agree that they should not be sold. If they have to go to another home it should be just given to those people after checking to be sure they can handle the health issues and other responsibilities of having a dwarf. I am just sick when people sell those worthless little things for more money than anyone can get for their good horses right now. I went to a sale last year where three dwarfs were sold one was for 4000, another for 3800, and the other one which was a colt was 1800. The broodmares and show horses werent even hitting the 500 mark and there were some nice horses at that sale. Sorry if I offended anyone by calling the dwarfs worthless but...well...they sort of are
default_smile.png
I can't believe those prices! There are nice, tiny minies out there, with-out problems! And, so many bigger ones that need homes...I wrote to the Sales Board about this--and they pulled the ad! Go Sales Board!

I would not buy a dwarf, I don't care to see them be sold. Eventhough it is not my forte, It is someone's right to sell their animal if they choose.

We must keep in mind, maybe there was an agenda we are unaware of. Maybe, just maybe, the sellers point of view was if someone can come forward and "buy" this animal, they can afford to medically care for it. For all we know, just proof enough that someone had the money and the means to immediately care for this animal, may have been the reasoning behind the ad. There are those cases, that this is done to weed out those that will scarf up a free animal just top try to resell it. In the end, it could have very well been given away, and the ad could have been placed just to weed out those that had the wrong intentions as amethod of screening. No, I am not talking about the ads for several thousand, I am talking about the ads we see every so often for $800-$1200 dwarfs (some a bit less, some a bit more, not the ads screaming out that they are taking full blown advantage of the situation).

Maybe far fetched, it does happen, sometimes things aren't always what they seem.

Carolyn

hi guys.... i own a dwarf, and to be honest i was gutted when he was born, i had such high hopes for him,

the sire was gelded...and the mare was sold back before i even knew he was a dwarf ,

i informed the owners and they didnt want to know and rebred her, i even offered to buy her back as a pet.....so she wouldnt be bred
default_no.gif

anyway the thing is my daughter means everything in the world to me, and she loves him hes only 23 inches at the withers as a two year old,

i considered rehoming him, as everyone said i may as well feed a gooden as a badden,but do you know what, id rather have him than any champion in my barn,

so i couldnt do it, i love him to bits and hes my creation.......

he doesnt bite, kick, hes so loving like a dog......hes as ugly as sin
default_wub.png

but hes so safe for my wee girl,and thats what matters....

so to me and my daughter he is pricless!!!!!!

there is someone in england at the minute selling these wee dwarfs as dog like horses
default_unsure.png
and they are asking a fortune for them, they are calling them calynches?

im worried that unexperienced people take a notion for them for there kids only to be left to the wolves....so to speak

i dont agree with them ever being sold, they are expencive to care for , but worth every penny to me...

i agree also , to me if i couldnt guarantee a 110% good home, i would also put him down

I don't know of anyone who intentionally breeds to produce a dwarf. However they do happen and they happen quite frequently. That little dwarf is no less deserving of a good home and lots of love and proper care than the rest of the little horses out there. Their needs are surely greater. Before you go calling them "worthless" you really should meet one. A sweeter creature you will not find. Apparantly if someone is sellling them for thousands, and people buy them, they're not as "worthless" as you would like them to be.

I would not condone anyone keeping a colt with dwarfism intact, nor promoting a mare or filly for breeding purposes, but the fact is the little guys need a home to. If someone has one and opts to sell it, Who are any of us to judge? Dwarfism is the "darkside" of this breed. The goal is to quit producing them, but it has not been done yet. There has to be a level of responsibility for the ones that do exist. They're not "the plague". They are living breathing animals that have been brought into this world via someones breeding program. They have so many trials and adversity and some degree of pain, however they are so joyous and full of life and love. I just don't understand why people get so upset when one is sold or finds a new home. That mentality is very sad!!!

Flame suit on!!

I am a proud owner of a 2yr old dwarf gelding. He won't win a ribbon or a trophy in his life, but he has won the hearts of more people than I can count. He's a mischievious, playful, loveable, little troublemaker with more attitude and charisma than the rest of my herd put together.

I couldn't fathom anyone calling him "worthless"

So many good comments and points of view I hadn't thought of! You are certainly right, that they deserve a home, like any other horses. Maybe, it is my jealousy, that something else sold so easily, when many of us are having a hard time selling. I'm sorry for being narrow-minded.

First off, I never saw the ad in question here, so I am not commenting on that, only on my feelings on this subject.

I am also one that sees no harm in selling a dwarf as long as it is clearly stated it is a dwarf and that the potential new owners are made well aware of the health problems associated with owning such a horse, and the resulting heartbreak that is sure to follow. No, I don't feel they should be sold for "show quality" prices, but I see no reason not to charge an "adoption fee" type price, afterall, the breeder also has much time and money invested in this little horse too, before it was ever born, and before it ever leaves the property.

It is a common practice in shelters and rescues to place adoption fees on ALL animals they place into adoptive homes, even the elderly, the sick, and the cripled, so why not with our horses?

I also agree with those that said that dwarfs are NOT worthless!!! NOT AT ALL!!! They are the most loving little creatures!!
default_wub.png

l almost bought myself a dwarf not long ago...not to use for anything but because l fell in love with him as soon as l looked into his big brown soft eyes there was a firey spark in them in a poor deformed body which wasn't his fault...l wasn't allowed to buy him by my other half but the rush of love l felt on the spot was real and really unexpected...maybe thats what happens to other people when they have a choice and choose the less perfect instead of the picture perfect..

Can someone post a photo of a dwarf for me... I am new to Miniatures :) Not interested in having one, just had my curiosity piqued .

default_smile.png

We went to a Miniature horse auction a couple of years ago and this dwarf filly was there. Someone who did not know, bought it for breeding purposes. We informed her and the auctioneer that it was a dwarf. She gave it back and they auctioned it again at the end of the auction and got only a fraction of the price.

These poor things should never be at auction,as most often, the buyer would have no idea how to take care of it. They really are better off being put down than sold at some auction. Some dwarfs are so crippled and so in pain that I feel it is cruel to continue to make them suffer. There are other Dwarf Mini's who are not as twisted and deformed that may do alright. But as they get older, they seem to have more and more problems and deformities.

[SIZE=10pt]ok my turn... I just posted an ad the other day wanting another dwarf to buddy with my remaining one.... I regretted GIVEING away my other 2 but they went to the same home and are SO loved you just have no idea how loved they are. The reason I regret it now, which if I asked the lady would give me one back, is that Doll has no one to buddy with. I how ever DID pay for Doll 6 years ago and the lady reasoning was that she fgured if someone put money into her that she would get taken care of, but in turn I could have used the money on dental work, feet ,ect. I don't think you should profit from the dwarves. Wonderful home SHOULD be sought out for them, not to the one with the deepest pockets. I can see an "adoption fee" being put in place as long as it is not too high, maybe a couple hundered. As for me I think they should be given away to knowledgable homes.[/SIZE]

Oh and I won't touch the "worthless" comment. I think that has been addressed.

I have added a pic of me dear little Doll...

April

doll.JPG

PAS check out http://www.minibreeders.com/horsieheaven for dwarf pictures.

As for anyone selling a dwarf "for profit," I'd think that'd be pretty difficult if they raised the horse from birth. If someone is willing to pay for a special needs pet and can handle taking care of it, I don't see a problem with it.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

The problem with "selling" dwarves to whoever has the most money is that the people may be able to "buy" the "special needs" pet without really knowing what is in store for them as well as the "pet" in the future. I don't know HOW many people has offered me big $$$$$ for Doll, and the after talking to me for an very extended time about this problem and that problem they STILL have no clue about what it takes to care for one. And then ask me AGAIN why I had her spayed and did not breed her. I really guess it is not as much of the idea of "selling" a dwarf , but more about WHO buys it and HOW well they know the problems and what it takes to care for them.

April

Latest posts

Back