What do you think about "Electrobraid Fence" ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 is not enough

Reaction score
Hi, we need to change our fencing here. I have been looking into Electrobraid fence, opinions would be appreciated. Do you have it? Do you like it? Interested in how it does in areas with lots of snow.

Oh and here is their web site www.electrobraid.com

Thanks

Karen

Love it! 4 Strands keeps the minis in, 3 strands for the horses. Not 1 injury or escape.

Hi there Karen
default_smile.png
I was on another site this morning and read this post about the fencing. I didn't want to pull you off your happy cloud, but I felt obligated to post it here for you after I read your thread title. There is always a 2% factor with anything, but I thought this applied. It may not even be the same brand of fencing, but good reference to have in case you choose this type.

Here was the post:

A good friend of mine who raises Canadians nearly lost a 2 year old stallion Friday night when he got tangled in the new electric "rope" fencing. I don't know the brand of her fence, but it is that really expensive stuff. A year ago, she lost a weanling that hung himself in the fence. Friday night a 2 year old stud got in the fence. She found him Saturday morning, still tightly entangled in the fence. They think he fought the fence for over 5 hours. He was being shocked the entire time. She called the vet to come and put him down, but the vet didn't put him down. He's on a lot of meds. One eye was packed with mud and dirt; he has multiple deep rope burns; and, severe muscle strains everywhere. It took 30 minutes for the muscles to relax enough so he could get up. They do not know if he is going to be all right or not. He was soaking wet from sweat with icicles frozen all over him. He may have injuries that haven't shown up yet and he is in danger of foundering from the stress.

When the weanling died, she thought/hoped it was one of those fluke accidents. Yesterday she spent the rest of her day tearing down all her fencing and putting up good old fashioned electric wire that will break if a horse gets tangled in it. It really doesn't make sense to make fencing that will entangle a horse, but not break. We don't put them out with nylon halters for the same reasons, they can hang themselves in them. I can't believe that my friend is the only person who has had problems with these fences. Anybody else heard anything about them?

I have to agree. sorry, give me good old metal, if they spook and run, it breaks, easy to fix and they don't usually go far. My fencing is 3 stand electric, we had a pair of bears once years ago and I hate to think how they could have been entangled when they spooked. As it was the main mare broke the wires and took down a gate but they lived with minimal boo boos. I love the clean look of the braided and the wide tapes but I always fear what would happen if they spooked.

I'm not familiar with electrobraid but have had very good luck with intellirope from Premier Sheep Supplies www.premier1supplies.com. The trick to keeping it safe is to keep it tight. Use the springs and end insulators that have steel shanks that extend around the curve. I use 2 strands at 15" and 30" and that keeps in stallions. I used to 3 strands at 10",20" and 30" but I didn't need the extra strand. I use EnduraSoft but they also have Intellibraid, which is supposed to be better that Electrobraid.

Latest posts

Back