What do you require to breed to your stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
What do you require of the outside mares that are bred to your stallions? Do you require the mare to have a current coggins and health papers? Do you charge mare care if the mare is to stay at your farm? Any other info is appreciated also.

Reason I am asking is: That is what I would expect if I bred my mares to an outside stallion, plus of course the stud fee, etc. Just learning, and interested in what those of you who have been breeding for a while think.

Coggins goes without saying - it's illegal to transport in most states without one.

Pictures (if I don't personally know the mare) - I reserve the right to refuse to breed a mare that is a dog

Clean culture ( if I don't know the owner and mare very well)

Mare care - I start charging on day 8

Contract - even if it is for a good friend with all terms spelled out in DETAIL

We rarely breed outside mares and if we do it is usually as a favor or gift to a god friend. I can count the number of times we have done so very quickly. We keep our stallions too busy for much of it.
default_new_shocked.gif

But with that said when we do we require:

1. Contract with everything spelled out.

2. All health papers, coggins, culture up to date and presented when the mares come on the property.

3. Hold Harmless agreement or insurance provided by the mare owner.

4. Mare Care is charged from day 1 at 3.00 per day for dry mares and 6 dollars for wet mares.

5. Mare must be approved prior to bringing her to the stallion.

6. Live foal guarantee is provided by us in the contract.

hope that helps,

We do all of the above plus we always put in the contract the mare must be able to halter, lead and tie. I just cant be handling a mare that isnt even broke to halter.

Kay, I had to laugh at your reply...not at you but the thought that you actually HAVE to put that in a contract. Someone who thinks they have time for a baby but cant even take the time to train something as elementary as to stand or even put a halter on on the mare!! Im speechless!! Heidi

it happens.. seriously. I used to work at a hackney barn where we stood a very well known stallion. We had mares coming in from all over the country and MOST of them were barely halter broke (i personally wouldn't have even considered them that pretty much). always found it amazing (and quite rude) that anyone would send mares that way to have other people have to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different breeders require different things. Some are more flexable than others while some require quite a bit.

I like to make sure the mare has no serious faults, and if she looks reasonable I will accept her for breeding.

Some mares that have had minor faults, my stallion seems to correct in the cross as those areas are his strengths, so it all depends.

In the past I charged for mare care, but lately due to the economy Ive been throwing in a month for free on mare care to

help out the mare owners. It has worked out well for both of us, so I am still offering it.

Hope that helps.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back