What do you call.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Simple Life Farm

Reaction score
I have seen a portable barn/stalls on steel skids. I am interested in getting one, but I don't know what they are called to be able to search for one.

If I can describe it....... It has 1 stall (12x12) a tack room, then another stall. It is built on large steel skids, making it portable. Sorta like a loafing shed/ run-in shed. If you know of a company that makes them, or what they are called, please post.

Thanks,

Kelly

This is a link to Klene Pipe Barns. We got one in 1996...pipe came via freight truck...think it was 12' x 12' or something like that...to add onto our little barn because I got a couple minis. We toed into the barn, then you add your own siding...metal or we used T111 siding. You can build it free standing of course. It is 11yrs old never had a single problem with it...really solid. (the add on for my 'minis'...eh...wasent near big enough...couple years later...we built an arena). Klene makes large structures too...just about any size you have in mind. Hope you this helps.

Klene Pipe Barns Oh...and if you build it free standing it is movable

Last edited by a moderator:
do a search for "amish run in barn" and you should get some hits. You can check Lancaster barns in PA as well.

Portable barns are nice but be careful. We had a portable that was set to the ground with anchors but a recent wind storm broke the anchors free and put the building in the feild next to it. I still plan on buying another one but now I make my own anchors instead of usingwhat came with the building.

My thoughts are if that barn on skids were in my pasture they would call it a sled! The wind would have way too much fun with that and I can just see it slipping and slidding all over the pasture. LOL Imagine my poor minis chasing the barn trying to get shelter when it rains. Ha ha ha ha

We have a shed on skids that my husband made -- but I am with the others -- we used to have 2 but they have to be sitting at the right angle and have to be heavy enough that the wind wont catch them because the 2nd one had light weight tin instead of the heavy tin and it did get caught by the wind and got flipped so we ended up tearing it down (it was pretty damaged - thankfully none of the horses were around it when it happened) and building an inground shed in that place. Our other shed that is on skids has two 12X12 runs and then a 6X6 area in it as well and I think it is 10ft tall. But it is made of VERY heavy tin -- not sure what they call it but it takes 2-3 men to lift one sheet of it even -- I cant budge a sheet by myself and the wind did rock it when we first set it because it was sitting with the wind blowing just right but since we have angled it it hasnt flipped in 3 years and Kansas has some pretty nasty, strong winds. It is handy though in the fact that my husband can hook the tractor onto it and move it if I want it moved, which can be handy.
default_smile.png

I think you will probably find that for the money though that you can get an in ground one for approx the same price and then it will be safer all around if you have the wind issues
default_smile.png

Good Luck!

Thanks for the links and useful info. I will take all that into consideration when making a decision. I am looking for some affordable housing for 2-4 minis. The search continues......

Thanks,

Kelly

Check out www. barns2go.com they have tons of different styles and options . They look pretty reasonable priced. I just ran acrossed the website in my search for portable barns

Thanks for the link Nichcole... tehy do have some I might be interested in. I haven't been able to find the exact one I am looking for yet
default_no.gif
I want something to use as temporary shelter for 2 years, but then can be moved to another location. If anybody has some suggestions, let me know. I am about to make myself crazy over this!!!!

Kelly

Latest posts

Back