What do you call those little bumps on dog's butts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
They are one little hard crusty spot on each side of my dog's butt where she sits down.

I used to thing they were called pressure points of somekind but I don't remember.

They are getting really big and I am wondering what to do about them?

:new_shocked: Is this for real?????? Are you talking about a dogs Anal glands that sometimes needs to be emptied? UGH.......now theres a lovely thought. They are pressure points all right. Take her to the vet to have it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

ummmmmm No, I don't think that is what I am talking about, am I???????????

If you're talking about the two bumps on either side of your dog's anus, then yes, those are anal glands. If they are crusty, hard, swollen and/or sore PLEASE schedule a vet appointment immediately. Anal glands do need to be emptied manually if a dog's body does not do it well enough during bowel movements (and that means frequently for some dogs) or they can become impacted and even rupture.

Well those are the only things I know of that get bigger on each side of a dogs butt. She's certainly not sprouting two more tails.

[SIZE=18pt]GOOD GRIEF! What kind of a conversation is this anyway!
default_wacko.png
: [/SIZE]

ROTFL Carol, I'm used to this kind of discussion after being a professional groomer...
default_wacko.png
:

Well, I was thinking if there's any doubt, Marty's got a camera
default_wink.png
: Yeah, I know... I'll go away now.

Nikki.......I am just jerking Marty's shank! It takes a lot more than this to gross me out! LOL!

Oh THANKS JILL! I am sure we wil get 8 x 10 glossys now.
default_giveup.gif
:

LOLOL Oh I see, Carol! I was going to say! :lol: :new_shocked:

Sooo... Marty?

*Ewww, Jill! No way!!

OK well geesh, No I'm not going to post a picture of her butt you goof balls. You are baddddd. She'd be very embarrassed. No I guess it's not the anal glands. I didn't think the anal glands were like that! I did a search and wanted to see a couple of pictures. That's not what this is. I don't know what this is. I thought it was just from rubbing her hair off when she sits out front on the concrete.

She has a vet appointment on Tuesday for her other stuff she has so he'll take a look at this too.

Boy I swear this little girl of mine is such a little baby. A 93 pound baby too but she's my best buddy ever in the whole wide world and I don't want boo boos on her hiney!.

I don't think she's talking about anal glands....if you can see those then Tracey is in big trouble! :bgrin

My dog has spots on his elbows on the front legs kind of on the side of his legs - the hair is gone there and it almost looks like scabs, but is not crusty. They are from him laying on his side and pushing his fat but up. Is this what you're talking about? Vet said they are totally normal. In the summer when he's swimming alot they kinda peel and get raw - we put doggie ointment on them when they get that way. I've never seen a dog with these on his butt though...I think we need a pic to see what you're talking about.

Actually, Sonya, you can "see" where the anal glands are on a lot of dogs...
default_yes.gif
: but I'm glad to know that isn't the problem here.

Pressure point callus........being that Tracey is 90+ pounds....not uncommon, comes from laying on harder surfaces.....

Our labs have had them even though we have many many beds for them to lay on, they choose the bare hardwood. Cooler, I suppose.

Once they are there, there's not really anything that you can do about it.....Typically they don't even cause a problem.....

I didn't know you could actually see anal glands from the outside! This is something I would not want to see - bad enough to smell it, let alone see them too - Brutus had one of his removed - thank God as he is 120lbs and boy did he stink when they expelled - his one kept getting abcessed so they took it out. No problems with the other side.

Here are the things Brutus has on his elbows (like calluses - I'm sure there is a technically name) - is this what you're talking about Marty?

HPIM11722.jpg

Pressure point callus Thank you thank you thank you!

That's it! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: I couldn't remember what you called it, pressure point,..........something!

That's what I mean.

Tracey's are huge and nasty looking and I don't like them there.

They look ugly on her, she's so pretty you know.

I'll ask the vet if he can fix that.

Must keep my daughter looking beautiful!

OK well geesh, No I'm not going to post a picture of her butt you goof balls. You are baddddd.
If she has Pressure point callus's on her butt she must sit a lot. :)

I am sure not everyone has a photo of their dogs butt but here is one of a dog I had years ago.

Chappyb.jpg

He was a Norwich Terrier; Ch Tontine's Limehouse Chappy. I showed him for a number of years in the US and Canada. He was the number one Norwich Terrier in Canada two years in a row and during the same years he was the # 5 and 6 Norwich Terrier in the US. Part of his showing was at Working Terrier Trials. The photo was professionally taken at one of his trials. I used to run ads for him once a month and used a show photo along with this one to show his versatility. He was a great show dog and I showed him two years into his Veteran years.

Now then Neil, this is why I gotta love you. You are so very considerate and quite generous in putting your little doggy's butt hole right in my face where we all can see and appreciate it. It's a wonderful picture by the way and I did very much enjoy it. What a very lovely gesture Dear Sir. You are way too kind.

I even showed it to Tracey, but lady that she is got a bit embarrassed and began to blush. Thank you for sharring!

Yes Tracey does sit a lot, and lay a lot. She's got degenerative disk disease among everything else, but hardly ever outside in the winter so I don't know why she has that stuff going on. She's an indoor girl mostly and is always usually laying on my bed or in the carpeted area so I hope the vet can do something about that for her. Poor baby is getting a wee bit old like me and we have many issues to address at the vet all the time.

I'm thinking of buying her a bed with a thick matteress of her own. We just saw some in Dr. Foster and Smith's catalog that look pretty good. I'm thinking if I sell 247 halters I can get it.

OMG I wanna pinch that cute little arse :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin what an excellent shot...too funny

OMG, yep he's all boy isn't he Neil? :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

And can't help ya Marty as the lumps on butts around here are usually from my BOOT to get their noses out of things they shouldn't be into :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I'M KIDDING, DON'T GET ALL BUNGED AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Krisp

Marty,

You might try getting her some thick foam pads that look like egg cartons. They use thinner ones on hospital beds for long term patients.

Make some beds for her in the rooms of your house where she lays near you, other than the bedroom of course where she gets the best bed.
default_yes.gif
:

Robin

Latest posts

Back