What do I do...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxi

Reaction score
My new little colt Disco, has really started biting, when I just got him he would try to just nibble and whenever he would I would just kind of tug on his halter to let him know that that isnt good, but now he bites, when I am turned around and walking him he bites the back of my leg, so I give the rope a little tug, to tell him no, but I guess that's not working because he still does it, I know this is a really bad habit, and so I just dont know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

Thanks, Chelsey

No "little tugs." All he knows is that he bites, you tug. That doesn't mean "I did something bad" in his head. It means Mama decided to be irritating and tug on the lead for some reason totally unrelated to his biting.

You've got to make him think the world is about to end when he does that. Biting is dangerous but you don't have to actually whomp on him as long as he thinks you are willing and able to. (I hate nailing my mini. I don't have to get that nasty with my big guys to get results, why do I have to with the little one?? But he needs it sometimes.) Pop the lead it so the snap makes a loud sound against the ring and he throws his head up in startlement while you yell "No!" in a drill sergeant voice. Turn so your shoulders are at right angles to his front end and walk right into him and make him back up while you snap that line against the halter once or twice more. Don't overdo it. If he backs off and stands respectfully for a minute, soften and turn and make him walk on with you like nothing happened. (Keep an eye on him though, if he's really being obnoxious he may come after your leg when you turn away.) Reward him when he's walked beside you without biting, and be aware that may only be a few minutes or so. Catch him while he's good.

Aw heck, who am I kidding? I'll let everyone else reply with the "How to's." I'll just say that if he's a little stud that would be a lot of your problem. Geld him and be firm with him instead of cautious and he'll probably knock it off.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
A well aimed fist on the nose works wonders and as far as I am concerned needs to be done immediately and NOT timidly! He will very soon think twice about trying it again.

I pop them under the chin when they bite, it teaches them that when they bite it hurts their chin yet they can't see where it's coming from so it doesn't make them head shy like hitting them in the head/face does. I hold my hand like I'm holding an ice cream cone and wait for the bite then get them. As soon as you do this then make a fuss over them and console them, a scratch on the withers etc. Makes them think about the pain but not think you did it, the biting caused it. :bgrin

krisp

I pop them under the chin when they bite, it teaches them that when they bite it hurts their chin yet they can't see where it's coming from so it doesn't make them head shy like hitting them in the head/face does. I hold my hand like I'm holding an ice cream cone and wait for the bite then get them. As soon as you do this then make a fuss over them and console them, a scratch on the withers etc. Makes them think about the pain but not think you did it, the biting caused it. :bgrin

krisp
Thats how I do it Krispy!

Chelsey, you just have to let him know, he bites its not going to be good or fun, right now is the beginnings of his life and if you dont take it easy and he keeps getting away with it he will be a not so good stud, so make sure you let him know that it IS NOT A GOOD THING TO BITE.

Also I have seen people kinda rub there noses and they dont like it, and kinda squeze there lip, like a tiwtch, but I think the pop helps the best!

Gage

First of all what are you doing by allowing him to walk behind you so he can grab at your ankles in the first place?

You have to lead him right

and

don't set him up to bite, such as giving him the opportunity

I also do just what Krispy does, A good pop under the jaw and a loud NO goes with it at the same time. My horses are not used to getting yelled at so they are basically shocked and mortified when I raise my voice and they do very much stand at attention when I do and go "oh man, she's ticked"

Whatever method you use, the goal is to make it crystal clear that his choice to do that (bite, kick, rear, bolt) was a bad choice or place to put that body part. ;) Horses learn best w/ clear, consistant repetition so during this training time you will have to pay attention to all the details.

Good luck with him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was doing the same thing. A friend came to see him and everytime he tried to bite her she put her hand on top of his nose and made him back up, even at the slightest little move he made to bite. It seemed to work.

When my guy decided he wanted to bite I would grab hold of his nose and Yell "NO" this would "take his breath" away and he soon decided it was not fun any more.. Hold on for the count of 5 and then let go and contiune walking or doing what ever you were doing when he tried to bite if he does it again grab hold again....I dont like hitting with the fist on the nose it could cause himto shy away when you reach for him..I have a gelding here that was a stallion for 11 of his 12 years that was always Hit about the face when he'd bite..He is VERY head shy but is slowing coming around now that he knows i will not Hit ...He has not tried to bite since he has been here.. My 2 yr'old Stallion has decided to start biting again and I just grab that nose and hold for count of 5 he is remembering its alot more fun to Breath than to not be able to... I have done this on big horses as well and it does work....

Best of Luck to you. gope this helps.

jenn

I will carry a hairbrush with the bristles sticking out in my hand so when he tries to bite my hand as I'm leading him he gets a the hairbrush bristles in the mouth/nose and I have to tell you he doesn't like that....

I'll do a quick smack along the side of his nose - it is not very painful but will make a LOUD smacking noise to startle him AND with a firm "NO". I like the idea of backing them up, i'll add that too because my guy is learning not to bite, but not fast enough it seems! I like to come at him from the side because even though he has not been punched in the nose or smacked before, he seems very shy of a hand coming at him from above (squints his eyes and backs off) I think he had one too many of his colt friends come at his face from above....so instead of making that worse, coming from the side seems to work really well!

There are some good suggestions above, and different things work for different personalities of horses. However, I never use the word, "No," as it sounds too much like whoa. I don't want there to be any question in my horse's mind what I'm telling them. I always say quit.

Latest posts

Back