what colours should i test for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyponies

Reaction score
hi from uk here
default_rolleyes.gif

we bred a colt foaL this year who i am just going to get colour tested but i'm not sure what colours to test him for

i think hes a perlino pinto? double dilute?

he has blue eyes and pink skin, but my vet thought he could be champagne?

his dam is a chocalate pinto colour ( from a black pinto out of a palomino pinto she always throws coloured foals, has paw marks)

his sire is a boones buckaroo son who is buckskin as well.

hope you american folk can help
default_aktion033.gif

thankyou

SDC11603.jpg

SDC11609.jpg

SDC11244.jpg

I bet he is a smokey cream pinto. Test him for red/black and agouti. He is obviously a double dilute (not champagne) so no need to test for cream, unless you really want to. And you know he is heterozygous for pinto since his dam is pinto and sire is not, so no need to test for tobiano either.

Sorry, I think perlino is also an option right? Seeing as agouti is present in sire.

Also looks like there might be a silver gene from the dam. I would agree though, looks like perlino.

No champagne unless there is a champagne parent, so that is out.

For a triple dilute horse, look at the one in my avatar. She's tested, and proven, a Gold Double Cream Champagne, aka Cremello with the champagne gene.

The mare has to carry cream and it does not look as though she has agouti, but either waya she is definitely not a silver smokey black or silver buckskin, so no silver.

Yes, the colt is either perlino or smoky cream and the agouti test will tell you which.

Yes the dam appears silver to me- perhaps test for that too?

The mare is smokey black which gives her the 'soft' color so to speak. I think everyone has seen pictures of a silver smokey black (Dakotas Lil Gluten, Supaspots gorgeous boy, and many Alvadars Double Destiny get). The mare is definitely not a silver smokey black. Save yourself the money
default_smile.png

thanks everyone, i think his sire carries the silver gene does this make any diff ?

the mares dam is a cream/palomino pinto

Last edited by a moderator:
If his sire is a silver buckskin, then your colt could certainly carry it.

Latest posts

Back