color test on my kool stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I'm tossing the ideal of having my boy color tested just because I know what I call him but others say his color is not a real color that I call him. He is very unique (to me at least) and it seems every couple months he changes or even after a body clip.

I also think his bloodlines play a huge part in his kool color as well. I know everyone knows him here on the fourm as I post his pics lots of times, but would like some opinions. He is a double bred Komokos Little King Supreme son. I personally call him a smutty buckskin roan myself but others just say he is a brown roan.

If I do decide to go ahead and get him tested, who do I go through and what should I have him tested for? How much would I expect to pay for testing and or do you think its a waste of time and $ if he looks just brown?

What dose everyone think... LOTS OF PICS TO OBSERVE...

100_0217.jpg

100_0336.jpg

100_0365.jpg

100_0441.jpg

100_2012.jpg

100_2201.jpg

100_2206.jpg

100_2207.jpg

100_2209.jpg

100_2216.jpg

Boy he looks like a roan buckskin to me. Ive tested for LWO and the test to find out if my double dilute was a Perlino or Cremello.but I used that Animal Genetics in Florida. Im not sure off hand everything they test for but I know they test for cream. I paid $25 each to have my LWO tests done and I think $40 for the tests on my double dilute.

I don't know if Animal Genetics has a test for roan but to test for buckskin you would probably want two tests 'agouti' which will test for the gene that causes black to be isolated to the legs, mane and tail making a black horse bay, as well as 'cream' which will confirm his buckskin status. For what its worth I think you have his colour pegged.

You know, I really think you should test him for brown. He looks like a roan brownskin to me. (Cream on brown instead of bay)

Not color tested as brown, but we think my little stallion is a silver brownskin.

Here's Che`:

che` - aug 3, 2008 - front 3.jpg

Che` - July 22, 2010.jpg

[i don't have current pictures, so these pictures are 4 and 6 years old.]

I've only color tested him on cream, he has one copy. It's obvious from his color he has silver.

See, that's what makes me think this guy is actually brown instead of bay/black based. Of course, your stallion above has silver, which you mentioned, I definitely think that brown should be tested for.

Brown is a form of bay, it's designated At and only one lab currently tests for the brown form of agouti. I can't think of what it's called, and it's not Animal Genetics in FL or UC Davis.

He does look like he could be a smokey brown (brownskin is not the correct term as that would still imply that bay Agouti is present). You could test him for cream and regular agouti (A) and if he were to test negative for agouti then you would be safe to say that he is most likely At brown agouti unless you find the place that tests for that. From what I have read about Bay Agouti and Brown Agouti is that if the horse is positive for both that it will still be visually bay as the bay agouti overrides the brown agouti. Hope I at least sort of explained that well...LOL

Actually brown will test A on the agouti test, it just won't break it down as to whether it's A or At; only the one lab will break it down.

Actually brown will test A on the agouti test, it just won't break it down as to whether it's A or At; only the one lab will break it down.
Really? I was told there were several horses that tested negative for A but positive for At.

• Read the info on the Pet DNA page you linked, it explains it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just want to say I LOVE his color! he is a pretty boy
default_yes.gif

Just got this information from The Appaloosa Project:

The only place that does the test for seal brown (At) is Pet DNA Services AZ. Here’s the link:

http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/equine-testing/

These are the folks that did the research to develop the test they use. No other equine testing lab offers it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Brown tests positive for A. He is definitely a Roan so there probably is not any need to test for that, and is probably a Brownskin, for which you can test if you really want to.

Latest posts

Back