What colour class would I put a Silver Bay in?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here is the most current photo taken of him about a week ago, it has his dyed hair so it doesn't really help I suppose :/

attachicon.gif
408004_4035703831039_1429387497_n.jpg

Yup, looking at that, he's bay! Plus, if your rules are anything like ours over here, you can't change the color of his mane and tail from the original color. He's still pretty, and I LOVE bays!!!

Thank you all for your help
default_smile.png
And over here in Australia, we are allowed to dye bodies and hair, and either change their colour completely or enhance the original
default_smile.png
Over here you see Duns and buckskins being dyed bay, and it's all allowed
default_smile.png
The only reason his body wasn't dyed is because he was in the AMHA classes, and you are only allowed to enhance or change hair
default_smile.png

Would it be worth getting him colour tested or would it be a waste of money seeing as he is a gelding?

My understanding is that silver is a modifier not a dilute?? Nice colt!

He's bay. And actually...Body dying is 'illegal' and you are not meant to do it. You can 'enhance' the colour but you cannot 'change' it.

Example: You clip your black horse and he goes that gross mouse colour; you can dye back to black.

If you have a bay horse and you dye him black that is a no-no.

Silver is definitely a dilute, NOT a modifier....

He is Bay, no Silver.

i have never dyed a horse, nor do i intend to (except for manes and tails on dark horses)
default_smile.png
i have a black horse and i refuse to body dye him back to black when he is clipped
default_smile.png
I have seen a lot of horses at shows that have had their colour completely changed due to body dyeing, i personally think it is wrong, i have not been showing for long so i just assumed it was allowed because so many people do it... so thanks for clearing that up...
default_smile.png
He is currently registered as a silver bay. i have another bay horse here and he is waaaaayyy more silver than the other one, he's legs are fully silver and all under his belly is silver and his body coat has silver through it aswell. comparing him to other bays at his last show, he looked a lot different and none of them were dyed either. (i will upload more pics of him at nationals when i get them back from the photographer)
default_smile.png

He's bay. And actually...Body dying is 'illegal' and you are not meant to do it. You can 'enhance' the colour but you cannot 'change' it.

Example: You clip your black horse and he goes that gross mouse colour; you can dye back to black.

If you have a bay horse and you dye him black that is a no-no.

Also, the stallion he is out of is most known for throwing silvers

Here are some photos of him from the Australian Nationals this year
default_smile.png
He ended up taking home a National Reserve Champion AMHA Gelding, Reserve Grand Champion AMHA Gelding, National Champion Gelding & National Grand Champion Gelding
default_smile.png

PE5A1180.jpg

PE5A1172.jpg

PE5A1186.jpg

Beautiful boy!! Congratulations on your wins.

Are you sure mom is a black and not a smokey black? Amost looks like he could be a sooty buckskin in these last pictures, although the inside of his ears looks pretty dark -- but who knows. Whatever his color -- he's just beautiful!

As confusing as he is, I'd get him tested just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
I would say he is definitely not silver bay. Here is a picture of a silver bay:

ginger03a.jpg

And the jury is out on whether this one is silver bay or sorrel (I lean toward silver bay since her legs are darker...ignore the pudgy broodmare in foal look):

julie04body.jpg

I'm not sure if his mum is smokey or black, I could post a picture? I think it's just a mystery on what colour he is unless I get him tested! Which I might end up doing
default_smile.png
And thank you, I'm very proud of him, he is a special boy
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back