What colour class would I put a Silver Bay in?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
I have just purchased a silver bay miniature gelding, a colour I'm not familiar with at all! I was just wondering what colour class would I put him in at shows?

The choices are:

*Best Solid

*Best Broken

*Best Dilute

*Best Spotted

*Best any other colour(This class is only offered at some shows)

Here is a photo of him as a weanling (He is only 5 months old now but I don't have any recent pics of him until I get some back from the photographer at Nationals)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he a solid or a pinto? If he's not a pinto then 'Best Solid" seems like a reasonable assumption. Pictures would help people give you more educated advice
default_smile.png
(plus I always like to see pictures lol)

I've always shown my silver bay in solid.

Seeing you are in Australia you have me very curious about the color divisions. What would a dun or a roan show in as far as color? Is silver considered a dilution or a modifier?

Silver is a Dilute, but "Dilute" as a class usually means Cream. I have to say he does not look like a Silver Bay to me, do you have current pictures? He is very, very nice, whatever colour he turns out to be!!

Silver is a Dilute, but "Dilute" as a class usually means Cream. I have to say he does not look like a Silver Bay to me, do you have current pictures? He is very, very nice, whatever colour he turns out to be!!
For what its worth I respectfully disagree with rabbitsfizz. He shows the classic silver bay grey/slate coloured legs and light tail. Now of course it is possible that is just a clipped baby and in truth he is actually a bay - no silver but assuming the OP would confidently recognize him as a bay by now since his mane/tail and legs would have come in black I would say he's a silver bay.

I do however agree with her that he is "very, very nice"
default_yes.gif

I agree I don't see silver here. Bay babies most often won't have the dark legs or manes and tails just yet. Same can be said for in buckskins. Of course that may all change when he gets older. Does his parents have any silver?

In this photo, he was freshly clipped. Currently he has very silver legs, with flecks of black. He is dappling out under his belly and neck in silver spots, and white is flecked throughout his coat
default_smile.png
His main and tail are currently dyed so I can't see what colour they are naturally :/ ill get a photo of him today so everyone can have a look and see what they think
default_smile.png
His dad, Arions Call Me Destiny has been imported from the USA and he is a silver bay also
default_smile.png
His mum is black
default_smile.png

Thank you all for your lovely comments
default_smile.png
I adore him and I'll update you all with current pics when I get them back from Nationals
default_smile.png

Here are some photos I took of him today
default_smile.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hmmm... he may not be silver. My Sunny gets silvery like that in the winter (horse in my avatar) and he is definitely not silver!

The white in his coat probably doesn't have anything to do with the silver gene. He could be roan or sabino.

BUT: no matter what he is, he is GORGEOUS!

I have no idea if he had any roan or sabino in his bloodlines, ill try and find out though
default_smile.png
I'm not sure anymore if he is, if your guy does the same and he isn't silver :/

Thank you to you both for your lovely comments
default_smile.png
Wait till you see his pics from Nats, he looks completely different! (In a good way xD)
default_smile.png

No, the mane and tail should be white by this time (well, almost) You do get dark manes and tails on genetic Silvers in BH but I do not know of any in Minis.
newfoals09033.jpg

This is a classic Silver Bay foal colour....

I'm not sure what his mane and tail colour would be underneath, as I picked him up show prepped with his mane and tail dyed.

Here is a photo of him as a baby, although you can't really see his mane colour :/

zonk1.jpg

And here is the most current photo taken of him about a week ago, it has his dyed hair so it doesn't really help I suppose :/

408004_4035703831039_1429387497_n.jpg

Hmm, I am going to reverse my opinion on him being silver bay. From looking at that last picture and the one of him as a foal(you can see his fuzzy little mane is black) I am going to say he is bay, no silver. I love bays, very nice looking boy.

Latest posts

Back