What color is this little guy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
I found this little baby at a farm today! He's a month old...he's just the friendliest and cutest colt. I was wondering about his color...I would say really light bay, except he has that silvery tail, not quite black mane with some lighter accents, faint dorsal stripe, and he's almost off-white on his legs. What color would you say he is? I'm really not sure.

IMG_0037-1.jpg
IMG_0036-1.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0026-1.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ls he yours..if not we shouldn't be saying anything about him on the forum..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Oh noo, really? He's not mine...he might be when he's weaned though, if that helps!
blush.gif
I saw him yesterday at this little petting farm and went back and took pictures with the owner's permission today. I'm just trying to figure out his color, since I'm really good not good with anything except true bays, chestnuts, and blacks, and the current owner doesn't seem to be positive either! The owner said to let him know if I figure it out, haha. They're not mini breeders or in the miniature horse business or anything...these are their only two minis...they just has them for all the kids that pass through the farm.

If you can't critique him, maybe just help me with his color, if that's allowed?

(

ls he yours..if not we shouldn't be saying anything about him on the forum..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

He looks bay. Foals will generally be a lighter color and then darken as they get older (unless they have the champagne gene, then they do the opposite, though that isn't relevant to this conversation). Bay foals do tend to have white hair covering their lower legs and white hair mixed in their tails at first. This little one may end up the same shade as his dam.

It would be neat if you could buy him.
default_smile.png
Would he be your first miniature if you did? He's cute.
default_smile.png

He'd actually be my third...I've had two since last fall. I quickly discovered I couldn't have just two...what awesome little horses! They're very addicting.
wink.gif
I do really like this guy. He has no worries with coming right up to us and letting me touch his ears, face, nose, body...he's not from a breeding program or anything - I'm not sure how much that matters or not - but he is really sweet.

He looks bay. Foals will generally be a lighter color and then darken as they get older (unless they have the champagne gene, then they do the opposite, though that isn't relevant to this conversation). Bay foals do tend to have white hair covering their lower legs and white hair mixed in their tails at first. This little one may end up the same shade as his dam.

It would be neat if you could buy him.
default_smile.png
Would he be your first miniature if you did? He's cute.
default_smile.png

I would say a silver bay since his tail has more white than black. If you are just buying for a pet, it does not matter if he has papers, but I would not be breeding him. Cute little boy with a sweet attitude right now.

Hes a bay and will darken as he ages.

His mom really needs some more weight on her. Poor thing is way too thin.

I personally see no problem with commenting on the color, but remember folks, these horses do not belong to the poster and they should not be critiqued on here.

The colt is a Bay. His legs and tail will darken with age as he looses his baby fuzz.

No worries...no breeding for him! If we did buy him, we'd be gelding him as soon as it was okay and just be keeping him as a pet.

I would say a silver bay since his tail has more white than black. If you are just buying for a pet, it does not matter if he has papers, but I would not be breeding him. Cute little boy with a sweet attitude right now.

whats up with his nose? and what the heck kind of feed is that?!? it looks like chicken food! if i were you i'd report them! just look how thin that mare is!
default_no.gif
:No-Sad

he looks bay, he'll probably darken as he ages.

whats up with his nose? and what the heck kind of feed is that?!? it looks like chicken food! if i were you i'd report them! just look how thin that mare is!
default_no.gif
:No-Sad

he looks bay, he'll probably darken as he ages.

I believe the thing on his hose is a rub mark from having a halter left on him for days at a time. The feed looks to be corn...not something a foal should be eating.

That's what I'm guessing as well. And he was in a pen with his mother and a miniature donkey...and I believe the corn was there because a child threw it in for the mini donkey coming up to eat it. The corn was not intended for him, nor did he eat any when I was there. As I said, this is a petting farm we visited, so there are going to be children who don't know any better innocently throwing the wrong kind of food in their feed trough, unfortunately.

I believe the thing on his hose is a rub mark from having a halter left on him for days at a time. The feed looks to be corn...not something a foal should be eating.

Latest posts

Back