What color is this little guy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifreishorsefarm

Reaction score
I have a yearling gelding that I just cant get his color strait on. When he was born he seemed to look like buckskin but as he got older, seemed to be black. I got him at 4 mos old, only saw the mom. She is registered as sorrel, but looks to be silver bay or something to me. Sire was to be a buckskin but no pics of him. I had him color tested and he came back as carrying the red and black genes, no cream, no silver and no agouti. So All we can guess is black or grullo? As the sire might have been dun instead of buckskin. I have never seen a black horse with so much blonde in his mane. HE is not sun bleached as its been this way all year and he's not out in direct sun all the time. His body is also more of a chocolate color,not black. Its really hard to see in the pictures but he has what looks like a fine dorsal stripe down his back and into his tail.

Any guesses on if he is black or a dark grullo?

Here is the link, it has baby pictures and his mom in a couple too.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp

Thanks!

Marsha

He sounds lovely, but I can't get the link to work either
default_sad.png

Hi Marsha, He looks liver/dark chestnut to me.

But what about the dorsal? I did look up pics of liver chestnut and he does look a lot like that, but he also looks grullo.

Marsha

If he was grullo (black dun), the dun gene would show up in a color test.

If he was grullo (black dun), the dun gene would show up in a color test.

The only place I saw that does the dun testing required a sample of the parent who has the dun gene too. Since I dont have access to that, I cant test him. Do you know of a place that will test for dun without the parent hair needed too?

His mare is a funky color.....Silver Bay or Smutty Silver Buckskin even.

He really looks like a Smokey Black Sabino to me, but if the tests come back negative for creme...he can't be. So, if the tests are correct (and they have been known to make mistakes)

I think you are probably dealing with a simply "Black" horse who happens to have a lot of lighter baby hair left. In that case, his mane will eventually come in totally black.

I see no signs of Dun.....the darker line down the back is so faint, I wouldn't consider it a dorsal, just countershading.

To be liver chestnut, doesnt he have to be homozygous for red ie: ee. He tested out as Ee, so carrying both genes. The reason I really want to know his color is he is for sale and I really want to put the correct color for him. I dont think his lighter mane is from his foal coat because it has gotten lighter the older he has gotten.

Marsha

Back