What color is she?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless

Reaction score
This is my first buckskin foal. Are they born with the dark points? This is Timeless Banana Ice Cream Pie. Her mother is a silver bay and the father is a buckskin pinto. Just got back DNA resluts

Ee AA nCr nn(for silver)

Will she darken up or am I missing a pinto? Thought for sure she was a silver buckskin.

176-1.jpg

165-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a solid buckskin.

Her hooves are dark and will have black hair above them. You are seeing foal colored (light) legs.

Where did you have the test run? I have a filly that is almost identical to yours, I can see the black points and she has a golden coat with no hint of red. But, and it's a BIG but, dam is greyed out chesnut pinto, sire is Thumper, solid palomino. Sire of Thumper is a perlino/creamello, and dam was a chesnut. Sire of the dam is a greyed out sorrel pinto, dam is bay. I have personally seen IRL or clear photos all the of grandparents. I'm very confused
default_wacko.png

Had test done at Animal Genetics. Mother is DNA tested silver bay and dad is a Buckeroo son and is a buckskin pinto.

Foals are born a more muddled version of their true color without their dark points as a defense mechanism. In the wild they would need to be able to hide from predators until strong enough to outrun them. So foals don't get their 'true' color and dark points until they shed their foal coats. I see some black in her mane and tail so that will probably be darker later.

Ruffian, it is possible your mares sire carries silver and she is a silver bay that has greyed out so has the black gene which she passed onto your filly.

"Ruffian, it is possible your mares sire carries silver and she is a silver bay that has greyed out so has the black gene which she passed onto your filly. "

I don't think so, the dam, Ladyhawke, was born here and she had no silver. She didn't gray out fully until almost 5 and I didn't notice any silver. Ladyhawke's grandsire is also a chestnut pinto with no silver. I tried putting silver bay into the color calculator, and it still doesn't give me a possibility of buckskin. Ladyhawke's dam is bay-no silver, so possibly she carried through to the baby?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes silver bays are so hard to tell apart from chestnuts though. Just a thought though, I haven't seen any of them or their foals so can't really say, just throwing it out there.

Silver bay+palomino can definitely give you buckskin. You can get a buckskin from a bayXpalomino so if your mare was heterozygous silver (which she'd have to be with the bay dam) then buckskin is always a possibility there.

Bays will not hide silver, only chestnuts (or any other red based color) can hide it.

Them as in your mare and the horses in her pedigree that is
default_smile.png
sorry, on my phone so can't edit my previous post to clarify.

My filly's mother was registered as a chestnut, but her mane and tail are lighter than her body and has some black in them. So I had her tested. Silver bay. I think it was common to call a silver bay chestnut before DNA testing. My filly tested negative for silver.

She can't be Silver anything, she tested neg for Silver!

Are you sure she is not a Bay Dun??

Silver can also "hide" in any Buckskin, the Cream seems to inhibit the expression of Silver, thus Buckeroo, who is a Silver Buckskin, shows no sign of it. It can also be masked by Roan, and be very hard to see, as well as Smoky Black- that can throw up some very weird "sludgy" coloured horses that look far from Silver Black!

But in this case none of that is relevant as she is neg for Silver......

Latest posts

Back