What color is my stallion???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi, my stallion just arrived home today, and I am not sure of his exact color???? I did post a picture a few days back in a different thread, but in those pictures, he was really bay, and someone thought silver bay was his color (the farm I purchased him from sent me the pictures by email). I am very happy with him, he is a BTU grandson, but I am confused of his color. I think he looks buckskin, but his mane & tail are light, the hairs do have a mixture of dark in it. He also has a dorsal stripe and possible leg barring, and shadowing on his neck. What do you think?

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

I would say silver buckskin. I am not seeing the leg barring at all but he definitely has a dorsal stripe! :bgrin

I think he looks silver bay dun (silver dun) with possibly sabino at work, in a few of the pictures it looks like he has white hairs mixed into his coat.

I'm going with Donna. He appears to be a silver dun pinto.

Editied to add that I also agree with Chandab (must have been posting at the same time :) that there could also be some sabino going on there too. But I am certainly not a pinto expert)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like he has sabino in him...but i am no color expert and I just wanted to say i think he is very handsom!!!I like him alot
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with the silver bay dun pinto.

MA

I would say either silver buckskin dun or silver bay dun.

He is very pretty
default_smile.png

We have a BTU son (gelding palomino Bacardi) a BTU grandson (stallion grey-grullo DunIT), and a BTU granddaughter (buckskin pinto dun mare Suprize).

You can "see" I'm a BTU fan
default_smile.png

Definitely a silver bay dun pinto. Hes got the chocolate legs going on.

For our edification...

What makes him a silver BAY dun pinto as opposed to a silver BUCKSKIN dun pinto?

He looks very simular to my boy Rocky who is a silver bay dun. He has definate leg and shoulder barring which but they are rather faded and never show up in an overall photo. His dorsal stripe is very prominant like his is. I would definatly have to say silver bay dun too.

A buckskin dun would carry both cream and dun where as a bay dun only carries the dun gene. It is possible if both genes are carried by the parents. The only way I think you would know for sure if they were a buckskin dun would be by testing or throwing a cream colored foal by a non-cream parent. By outward appearance a buckskin dun would appear dun. Hopefully I haven't made it more confusing as I tried to keep it short.

Adding a pic of Rocky for comparison. (Please excuse his portly appearance. We are still trying to loose some weight.)

Picture1035.jpg

One thing I would say he is NOT -- a silver buckskin.

We have a silver buckskin-- Boones buckskin Princess - and she is a silver buckskin-- dorsal stripe & dark leg markings-- nothing similar in color to this at all.

Thanks for all the thoughts of his color. The majority is Silver bay dun, but I am confused with that gene. Can some one explain it to me? To me he looks like a buckskin except for his mane & tail. I have also attached a picture of his dam & sire, and a yearling photo of him. If I were to test him, what test would I test for? Could some one look up his pedigree, I don't have access for the stud book. AMHA Zephyr Woods Kirby's Little Charmer # A 153174 He was hardshipped AMHR, and on his AMHR papers it only has his dam & sire on the papers. Thanks

Here he is as a yearling

charmer-yearling.jpg

Here is is dam

zephyroo-CharmersDam.jpg

Sire:

kirby.jpg

Here's what I found on the studbook.

ZEPHYR WOODS KIRBYS LITTLE CHARMER

NAME REG. NO FOAL DATE S CL BT ST HT

ZEPHYR WOODS KIRBYS LITTLE CHARMER A 153174 04/03/2004 S PBS - - 00.000

SIRE SANDRINS DOUBLE M KIRBY A 45257 PSR DN - 29.750

DAM BOONES LITTLE BTU ZEPHYROO A 87240 SBS DN - 33.250

BRDR KATHLEEN & RICHARD WALMER

OWNR KATHLEEN WALMER & RICHARD WALMER

I am no expert by any means but I am facinated with the whole color genetics. His dam is listed as a buckskin but sure looks like a bay dun to me. His sire is listed as a sorrel pinto, but in that picture he looks more like a silver black to me. Course he could still be a sorrel and carry silver too. That being said he would have gotten bay and dun from his dam and silver from his sire. That is just my take on it.

From the picture the mare is a Bay Dun.

The foal has inherited the Dun factor- indicated by a dorsal stripe- and is thus a Silver Bay Dun.

There is a subtle difference in the colour- cat in the hats boy is borderline between Bay Dun and Buckskin for colour (allowing that he obviously has Silver) but I would agree- Silver Bay Dun.

Bay Dun is just the term for the Yellow Dun colour that is so similar to Buckskin- in fact the only difference is often that the Buckskin carries Cream.

If there were a real need to know, a test for Cream would settle it.

Ok, I think I am going to test for Cream, which place is the best to send for testing? I know that there is Animal Genetics, but isn't there some others? Thanks for all of everyones input. Colors, so confusing...........I know the pictures that I first posted in this thread, he does look darker than he is. Should I try to get different pictures, or are there other things that indicate bay?

Ok, I think I am going to test for Cream, which place is the best to send for testing? I know that there is Animal Genetics, but isn't there some others? Thanks for all of everyones input. Colors, so confusing...........I know the pictures that I first posted in this thread, he does look darker than he is. Should I try to get different pictures, or are there other things that indicate bay?

I test mine throughPet DNA Services of Arizona

Latest posts

Back