What "characteristic" justifiy breeding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandjmc

Reaction score
There have been alot of posts about the poor horse market in the country right now. Many breeders are cutting way back or deciding to enjoy their horses in another way, showing, driving, etc. How do you determine if a horse should continue to be bred, even in a poor market? What characteristics do the horses have that you've continued to be able to sell?

Conformation, athleticism, conformation, pedigree, conformation, disposition, conformation, show records of ancestors/siblings/offspring, conformation.

Oh, did I mention conformation?

What jean said plus Attitude. If they don't like to show off in the ring, they probably won't get bred here.

On one hand, if a person owns the stallion and mare and wants to breed, then it is really their choice.......

But I think the real question is what will SELL in this economy and some minis ARE selling quite well. Quality seems to sell. If you have a foal that will be able to compete at the World/National level, then I think it will sell. This of course would start with conformation, but not end there. Movement, athletic ability, and personality (not quite the same as attitude but related) will help too. There needs to be something that sets the horse apart from all the other foals or minis out there. (Color, charm, blue eyes, training??). In our area, driving horses seem to be selling well and if you read the Driving Forum on here, I think this is a trend to continue. We decided to breed two mares for next year with the hope of producing some nice 33-34" future driving minis with incredible movement and wonderful temperament and personality. If we get another one just like the colt we got this year we will be happy and we hope so will the people who keep inquiring about him! (He is a keeper).

I am sure there are other characteristics that will sell, but I think breeders have to put more thought and energy into marketing than in the past.

I don't think its one type of characteristic that sells I think its do you have demand on what your offering. Like I said in my one post you have to use common sense and think supply and demand. If you have people lining up wanting your foals then breed a few each year but don't breed for so many then that something special you are offering will run out and not bring as much money. If buyers like what you sell then they will be a returning customer.

Also you have to be honest with yourself. If you can't sell the foals then can you afford to keep them til you get them at the price you want? Sure you can give them away or sell them at give away prices but that doesn't do any good for anybody and honestly you probably shouldn't be breeding and that goes for every breeder.

To me if I have to pick what characteristic I want would be trainability. I hate to work a horse that doesn't want to work with you. I also get turned off buying a grown mini who don't know that basics. I saw a beautiful stallion at an auction and would love to have gotten him and gelded him and be one of my show horses but when he was rearing up and striking wasn't even worth $200, not worth my time. So I would like to see more breeders train their foals more and I know thats hard to do when you are breeding 10 plus foals every year without paid help.

I'm thinking of two breeders in my area. One sells all of her foals each year, the other complains he hasn't sold a foal in 5 years. The difference? The breeder who is successful has stallions who are being shown by trainers and are World Grand Champions. She has the foals well groomed and halter broke, friendly. She also maintains good contacts in the horse community locally. The other breeder does none of these things. It's just interesting because in many cases the quality of the foals isn't all that different.

I don't breed or sell a lot, but I think a lot of people gripe they can't sell a horse yet they don't promote them to the horse's best advantage. Yes, it takes time/work/money. But your scruffy horse out in a pasture that the buyer has to wait for paper photographs of in the mail won't sell as fast or for as much as a horse that's fit, groomed, videoed, and on a website with pedigree and lots of clear honest photos. The buyer doesn't want to have to work hard to buy a horse that catches their eye.

That said, the "market" is flooded and horses of high quality are to be had for reasonable prices.

Breeding a foal that has everything going for it will help it stand out.

Parents who have made their mark in the show ring. Which would you rather buy if everything else was equal? A horse with parents who haven't been shown, or a horse whose sire was a National Grand Champion?

Good conformation for those buyers looking to breed or show halter. Good movement will attract those wanting a performance horse.

Color may be enticing for some buyers.

The horse should have it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back