What Camera Lens is needed for Arena photos?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esty

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me, I bought a really nice Cannon Camera and spent the extra money for a telephoto lens. The photos i take in my arena of the horses are dark and Blurry. I have noticed that smaller cheaper cameras seem to take better inside pics than mine. I have over 1200.00 in this set up. I am guessing I am using the wrong lens. If there are any Camera Buffs out there that could suggest a good lens for me That would be AWESOME !

Thanks

Esty

Hi,Can anyone help me, I bought a really nice Cannon Camera and spent the extra money for a telephoto lens. The photos i take in my arena of the horses are dark and Blurry. I have noticed that smaller cheaper cameras seem to take better inside pics than mine. I have over 1200.00 in this set up. I am guessing I am using the wrong lens. If there are any Camera Buffs out there that could suggest a good lens for me That would be AWESOME !

Thanks

Esty
i"ve got the Canon Rebel XTI with the telephoto and I'm fairly new to it. I haven't done a whole lot of inside shooting but wanted to check to make sure you are setting it to automatic and using the shutter button halfway to focus. Doing this my telephoto lense will focus and determine if flash is needed and then pop up. Then I press the shutter button the rest of the way down. Hope this helps.

Hi Judi,

Thats the same Camera i have. I think i need a different lens to help with the low light and movement. Just not sure which i need !

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about your camera, I have an olympus e volt. When taking indoor photos without flash (No flash allowed for agility), I set the camera mode to night setting. I also adjust the iso setting. Can you adjust the exposure setting? Also, if you can adjust the f stop, a lower f stop allows more light, the bigger the f stop, the less light.

An f2.8 is the best lens for letting light in. BUT they are really expensive.

Same problem here.... however it is a known problem with my Evolt 510 camera, as per the what the company has told me after a number of calls to them. For Action shots you need a fast f stop and for low light you need a slow f stop. Many digital cameras can't do both... only one or another.

Lenses will not make a difference (at least with my camera), I have some nice ones. You will either need a more powerful flash.. or go with a different camera. The good flashes for that kind of photos, start at $400+ and go up.

Know a number of pros that have all told me if I want to take the best possible action photos indoors to get a "Nikon D300". Hands down it is the best digital camera out there for those kinds of shots.

Thanks, I am going to try the night setting before i get the new lens. Dont know why i didnt think of that one.

I did find this lens, which sounds like what i will end up buying. Thanks Tami.

Product Description

This lens was designed for the Canon Digital Rebel, EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 30D and EOS 20D Digital SLRs, and will only work with these cameras. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM offers image quality on a par with Canon's highly regarded L-series lenses. It has a large maximum aperture which, combined with higher shutter speeds can minimize subject motion blur. Shallow depth-of-field separation of a subject from its background is much easier to achieve and the f/2.8 maximum aperture allows a bright finder and extremely precise focusing with f/2.8 compatible AF sensors. The internal stabilization has a sharpness benefit equivalent to a three-stop faster shutter speed, making this lens outstanding in low light situations. Smaller and lighter than lenses of similar specifications, the EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-88mm and is compatible only with the EOS 30D, EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel XT and EOS Digital Rebel SLRs. 17-55mm Zoom Range Equivalent to 27-88mm in 35mm Format Ultrasonic (USM) motor for silent auto focusing operation and very quick focus even in low-light conditions Image Stabilization Technology Two Ultra-Low Dispersion UD Glass Lens Elements for excellent color rendition Three Aspherical Lens Elements to eliminate spherical aberration Optimized Lens Coating for Digital Cameras Compatible models: EOS 30D, EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS

default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back