What brand of clippers do you use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplethorsefarm

Reaction score
Once again I am requesting your advice
default_saludando.gif

I am finally getting a new pair of good quality clippers for Christmas! Only problem is I don't know which ones to get
default_wacko.png

They will be used to clip weanling and yearlings primarily, so lots of wooly hair. Any suggestions? Also, what size blades for which areas? Keep in mind these aren't show clips, just summer clips. I will leave the fancy clip jobs to the trainer
default_wink.png

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Double K wall mount. For just a clip I use the size 10 blades. Leaves enough hair to prevent sun burn, but gives them a nice polished look

Double k.

You know your a redneck if you use the same clipper on your horse, your dog, your father, husband and son
default_wink.png

I dissinfect the blades, don't worry, I wouldn't want my horses catching something from my husband
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning to get some Double K clippers last year and my sister talked me out of it. She used to use them on show sheep and had a scar on her wrist. She said lots of people cut themselves if they weren't careful. She has done lots of animal clipping and does dogs with a local groomer, so I had to take her advice seriously.

Since I am not the most coordinated person, I was unsure about using them.

So, has anybody on here injured himself with Double Ks??

I do the same thing!! I use the same clippers for everthing, person or animal

Double K's are the best but costly. I like toe Oester 5.

We have some Double Ks prefer them over the Osters we use to have, never got injured using them but I think the #1 complaint I have with them is they seem to break easy. Nothing major we just go to the clipper guy and have him fix them but it certaintly isn't fun if you are in a hurry and your clippers break.

I just bought myself a Wahl clipper that I personally want to try, it says its good on tough hair. I haven't tried Wahl clippers before so we shall see.

I wouldn't do anything higher then a 10 blade.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who uses it on hubby, kids, dogs and ponies and minis. I am always sure to give my ponies a fresh blade though. LOL! Like Carolyn, I don't want them to catch somthing from Russ! LOL!

But I love my K", I don't use anything else!

Double K's all the way. I actually have 2 sets!!! I have a pair of Laube rechargable ones to do faces and touch ups.

I have a set of Andies and I love them. I have used them for about 4 years now with out even needing to be rebuilt. I just bought a set of Osters for back up. What ever kind you have, you need 2 sets just incase you have one stop in the middle of something.

I have used the Double K's, but the cord is so stiff it bothered my wrist to use them for any length of time. Plus, on the smaller horses it made it a little harder to get into those hidden places. It's hard enough work body clipping in the first place...I felt like it was just an extra workout to use the Double K's. They do clip well though and stay cooler a little longer than other brands I've tried! I have the Laube Lazors and LOVE them. The cord is easy to manage, they clip through nasty dirty winter fuzz well and they were a reasonable amount cheaper than the double K's. They are louder than the Double K and the blades get hotter faster, but I usually keep 4-5 spare sets of blades handy and just keep switching them out as needed. They've held up pretty well...my first set only broke after about 20 times of being dropped and stepped on. I'm not the most graceful person. :) I've used the 10W blades and find them to be a waste of $. They left long hair still so I ended up having to go back over the entire horse and clip anyway, so now I just stick with my regular 10 blades. But that's all just my 2¢

Double K's all the way
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

I know a lot of people do not like Double K's because the cord is heavy and stiff, then of course a lot of those people use those big Clipmasters which I could not imagine using due to their weight and bulk. I could see using the Clipmasters to take off that winter coat on the larger sections of the body.

I have 4 sets of clippers and use each for a different job. For what you are wanting to use them for I would say double k also. Yes the cord is stiff and sometimes hard to maneuver but they do not get as hot as other blades do when on for a while and if you are going to be fighting with the wiggling young ones you want them to stay cool as long as possible before having to change your blade out. I use my big Oster clipmasters for the first haircut of the season and for mom's bellies when they are getting ready to foal, I have my double k's for all over body cuts, I use my cordless mosers for faces, and I have a pair of cordless wahls I use for below the knees, I like using them but they do get hot quick.

I was planning to get some Double K clippers last year and my sister talked me out of it. She used to use them on show sheep and had a scar on her wrist. She said lots of people cut themselves if they weren't careful. She has done lots of animal clipping and does dogs with a local groomer, so I had to take her advice seriously.Since I am not the most coordinated person, I was unsure about using them.

So, has anybody on here injured himself with Double Ks??
Please don't think I'm saying your sister is wrong, but Having had sheep I would say it probably wasn't due to the clippers, but more the blade. Sheep shearing blades are nasty things! They have very long teeth and guards, and I had pro shearers cut themselves or the sheep badly if the sheep moved at the wrong time. One even cut the teat off a ewe and ruined her. I've never even come close to cutting anything or anybody with my Double K's

l bought my daughter a set of Double K's a few years back she loves them hangs it from a hook high on the wall...l never used them till this fall and wow talk about a workout on wrists holy cow...l had a heck of a time with that long STIFF cord almost did me in. l would have thought over a period of time they would get less stiff but doesn't seem that way...l can't seem to manage them worth a poop so stick with the Andies and Osters..

Thanks again for everyones response. I am definitely leaning towards the double k. I do have some concerns about the stiff cord and it stressing my wrists. But.....I only have 3-5 foals a year so I think I will endure the discomfort a fews times a year for the best results. Thanks again everyone.

Back