What are your barn rules?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
What are your barn rules for Visitors and Yourself.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I keep my horses at home, live very rural and have very few visitors; I only have one hard fast rule... Absolutely no smoking anywhere near the barn. [Easy rule to enforce, my husbands family doesn't smoke, my mom doesn't smoke at our place, and other visitors are far and few between.]

Keep barn doors closed at all times!! Everyone that walks by has to check the horses. No acting like you dont see them and one is in need or a good scooping
default_wub.png

Only 1 real rule here

no smoking in the barn is all that comes to mind

and I am a smoker too, But even if I walk in to get something fast I drop my cigarette on the ground and then pick it up when I come back out.

Pick up after yourself, everyone else is good at it I'm bad at it but my husband see's every slip up so it makes me pay attention more so to do it. He'll not miss an opportunity to mention it if I don't
default_wacko.png

Ok I am kind of a stickler apparently since I have lots of rules
default_biggrin.png
, a few are:

Dont go in with the horses without permission.

If you borrow something put it back

Shut gates/doors behind you

Absolutely NO SMOKING!

If you notice a horse spilled their water-refill it!

Dont pick on a horse and teach them bad habits, if you arent going to be nice to them, dont touch them! <--really irritating

Luckily I also live out in the middle of no where, so visitors are pretty seldom.

if you use it, put it back

if you empty it, fill it

if it is closed, keep it closed

if it is open, leave it open

keep all children on a short leash
default_new_rofl.gif
and dont bring dogs at all

do not feed the horses

and I think that the no smoking will be on everyones list.
default_yes.gif

and also if you see a horse that you even think is in distress, do not hesitate to bring it to the immediate attention of

someone taking care of the barn or myself!

No sandals

No treating horses

Never turn your back on a stallion ever

No putting your face right in the horses face (this one drives me crazy!)

Children are never allowed to tease foals or poke their eyes etc (Had some pretty tough words with parents over this one repeatedly)

Double check all gates and doors

NO smoking! (Someone mentioned that this would be on everyone's list, but at shows...it is amazing how many people smoke INSIDE the barns!!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

If a gate is open, leave it open.

If a gate is closed, leave it closed.

No treating horses (unless you ask).

Children MUST be supervised by a parent.

Do not enter areas where horses are (stall/pasture) unless you have permission.

For myself, the only "rule" I have is, when I leave the stall/ pasture area, I always double check stall latches/gates!

Everything else is just basically daily "maintenance" around the barn.

LOL@diane

Every time I let someone come in the pasture with sandals on they get hurt. Its murphys law. Since ours never see sandals they seem to be fascinated by them.

I will be honest and say years ago I wore sandals too. Then Patches my 46" shetland accidentally stepped on top of my foot and gave a twist. Sliced the top of my foot wide open. I never wore sandals again LOL

I'd love more visitors so that I'd need rules! LOL
default_laugh.png

We have the "no open shoes" rule too. Even with that rule, I still have had many big ugly bruises on the top of my feet from the stepping/twisting action of my girls. Ouch!

For us, it's not just about potential injury...horses have WORMS! And some worms can be picked up by humans through the soles of your feet, so I've been told. My husband dealt with a parasite as a child from running around barefoot in his family's dairy farm fields/barns. He is now practically insane about the matter of no bare feet/open shoes and hand washing. I swear, I wash my hands so much....the first two years after getting our horses, I didn't have a single cold!

Great Rules everyone!!

I am with Diane, Kay. I work in flip flops daily.
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

Oh but I will have to say. When I go to other peoples farms I Always where Boots.

if the gate is open leave it open, if its closed keep it shut

no messing with the stallions

no one handles the stallions around the mares, or try teasing stallions

if you wear flip flops don't complain if you get hurt.

if the gate is open leave it open, if its closed keep it shut

no messing with the stallions

no one handles the stallions around the mares, or try teasing stallions

if you wear flip flops don't complain if you get hurt.

I guess I'm pretty laid back. My biggest rule is: if you want to eat grass, you MUST have a halter on. So every time I put them from the dry lot onto the grass, they come running over for their halter. Sure does make it easy to get a halter on for other for other reasons. More work for me...halter on.....halter off.....halter on.....halter off. LOL

Most of ours are covered here, with a couple of exceptions....

NO running in the barn (unless there is a dire emergency)

NO bicycles in the barn (can you tell there's a lot of kids at our barn?lol)

I pretty much have the same rules as everyone else, not feeding, gates managed, check at house to let me know your here first.... except I am a nut about stuff coming in to my closed herd. I always ask if anyone is sick...even the grandkids can't visit the horses if they have colds or flu. I also ask that none of the neighbors ride a horse onto the property without permission, which is never given. lol! Other than that, come on over. Ha!

Oh my, Kay. I couldn't come to your farm...I work my horses in Flip Flops and shorts -- almost year round!
default_yes.gif
. Too hot for shoes or boots, and Flip Flops are my normal attire!
default_rolleyes.gif

I hope you have a good soap or you will get a bit cheesey
whistling.gif

only kidding cos I wear a pair of crocs to the horses but then i have to scrub my feet clean
new_let_it_all_out.gif

I only have one real rule and that is KEEP OUT I am very protective of my chips and people seem to think that they are just cute toys for their kids entertainment and it drives me nuts
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Absolutely NO Smoking as soon as you come through the gates on the way to the barn.

If your children run and don't behave you will all be asked to leave.I am a former teacher and will not tolerate bad behavior on my farm.

No flip flops or sandals It gets very hot here and I wear LLBean slides summer and winter.They are lined with thinsulate and my feet never get hot in them.Waterproof and they last forever.I wear lightweight socks in summer and heavier socks in winter.Great investment for safe toes.

I forgot one that hasn't been mentioned here. If there are large horses on the place, NO riding in the barn aisles.

This is easy for me. I have no friends so no visitors...maybe they didnt like my rules. My rules are pretty much the same but I DO SMOKE. I DO STAND OFF THE Concrete Right out side the barn.But that being said there have been times where I've blown a gasket b/c I see others just tossing their lit cig...I am very aware of the potential dangers but sometimes others...not so much. My other rule is no riding allowed. No matter how big/small the child...I just dont want to hurt anyones feelings if I let one child sit on a horse but not the other. And my rules are subject to change anytime I see fit!! Sometimes its a do as I say not as I do sort of thing around here!!

Latest posts

Back