What age to wean the babies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalview

Reaction score
Two of my colts are coming up on 4 months, I usually like to keep them with Mom till the fly season is over, (moms tails work better) but one of my mares is looking a little like she could use a break. What age is best for them psycologically and physically? They are eating grain and hay well and seming to be very bold and stay away from Mom alot more. Whats best? Also We have our futurity in Sept and is it better to wean them before or after?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year my colt matured very fast and since I was taking him to Nationals with me, he was weaned at 3 months. I just had a "buddy mare" to take places with him and he was great. I think of all the horses I took he actually handled the trip easier than some of the adults.

This year I'm waiting until I get back so I don't have to worry about them. They're all maturing a lot slower and it was almost a month before they'd even leave mom's side to visit each other. They're all reasonably independent now, but you never know what they'll do when they realise they can't have their mom back and I want to enjoy my time in Tulsa.

If they're eating well and seem somewhat socially competent I would just wean them. If you have more than 1 it will be easier, and it will be easier to show them if they're not the least bit concerned where mom is. Plus it gives you plenty of time before winter to make sure mom's in good weight and give her the mental break from dealing with the little brats. :)

If you can find a way to put an itsy bitsy tail bag on the babies, just take and add baling twine to the end and voila, instant tail.

Hi!

I like to wean mine after I get back from Nationals so the person I have do my chores doesn't have to worry about feeding so many in different pens. I have one that is way old enough to be weaned (born in February).... but the others are April babies.... and they could be weaned now.....but just simplier to keep them together til' I get back.....and it's not hurting anything either.....

I think it all depeneds on a person's reasons for needing to wean them....... if you don't need to wean them in a hurry I would wait til' closer to fall.

I usually weaned sometime during their 4th month, earlier if MOm needed a rest.

Joyce L

Thank y9ou all for your responces, Do any of you feel that there is a difference between weaning the colts than the fillys? Im finding the colts to be far more wearing on thier mothers and much more independent. Its the colts moms that I worry about the most.

I wean between 3-5 months, more on average of 4 months, and of course all depends on the individual foals..

We typically wean at 4-5 months, depending on the condition of mare and foal and the independence of each. Many of them seem to self-wean by the fifth month. I have seen more independence in the colts, and also in foals that grow up with a playmate. On years where we only have one foal, they tend to be more attached to their dam. I would also suggest weaning before the futurity--especially since your guys are already at 4 months--a screaming baby is never fun in the ring.

Latest posts

Back