West Nile

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the Merial vaccine however it really is preference most vets I have talked to really like the I think it is Prevnile the newer one.

We use the prevenile west nile as it was recommended by our vet. I have heard of several reactions from the Fort Dodge ones. Not sure if there is truth to it or not. We have not had any issues with the one we give.

I have read the Recombetek (sp?) is the best, however, my vet practice uses the Fort Dodge combo vaccine (WNV +EWT), which is also what I order myself and give. I've used Fort Dodge combo since it came out, and the non-combo one prior, without any issues. I like it because I've had no reactions and it cuts down on the number of shots I have to give... horses that don't "go" anywhere just get that combo + rabies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've started using the Intervet Prevenile vaccine. It only requires a single dose even if the horse has never been vaccinated before and it gives a full 12 months protection. Perfect to start vaccinating my yearlings with. I still have some doses of the Merial Recombitek vaccine and will use that up but any new that I order is the Prevenile.

Fort Dodge's vaccine is outdated. It only lasts 2-3 months.

Recombitek is a good product which lasts a full year, but requires a one time booster (so two shots the first year, one after). I used this vaccine for a while before Prevenile came out. I now use the Prevenile, it has a very high immune responce and only requires a single shot every year.

Thank you for the info.
default_smile.png
Where can I order the prevanile?

WN vaccines are not normally sold to the public through mail order. Most are only available from a veternarian. You CAN find them online, but you have to be careful about short dating, and HOW the companies get the vaccines, since the manufacturers don't sell directly to them.

I buy mine from Hagyard Equine Clinic. They do send them through the mail, and their prices are quite competative.

Latest posts

Back