We're being inundated....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
This has been a bad start to spring here in southern NJ.....altho the township has sprayed for Gypsy Moth infestation, we've still gotten hit hard. Not enough rain and the moths stripping our shade trees of their beautiful green leaves have left us looking as if it's the middle of winter...but the high soaring temps and humidity say otherwise.

These last few years have defintely been strange weatherwise, now I'm wondering if we'll be going thru the whole summer without our shade trees rebudding?

In all of the 18 years we've been here on the farm, never have we ever encountered something this widespread with insects! Totally grose! Everywhere you walk there are worms crawling around, up your pant legs, on your shoulders, up my horse's legs, in their feed and water buckets,...... If you visit our town, you'd think you were in one of those horror movies where the ants, bats, birds or insects invade....it's unbelieavable! Whats even more gross is the mess they leave behind...... So much caterpillar poop on the ground it's as if you're walking on crunchy seeds. Oh and don't go underneath the trees...you'll get "rained" on.
default_shutup.gif
: :smileypuke: Thought I'd share some pics!

They commute in droves (on the barn roof)

e92530fb.jpg

This pic was taken maybe a week ago...today there's no leaves on any of the trees.....we are in dire need of rain too....not much lush grass left

e9253096.jpg

About 8 years ago we had an unbelievable time with those things in Florida. There were so many that the fences and gates looked like they were moving. :new_shocked: It was disgusting. They were all over the house and barn......raining from the trees and smashed everywhere....UGH! And the worst is that they got all over you. Since then we have had a few here and there this time of year......but NOTHING like back then. I feel for you. Hope we don't ever have a season like that again.

We don't have many gypsy moths in Western Wisconsin. I guess there must be a few around because they put up orange gypsy moth houses to attract any that are around, Many years in Buffalo county they have trapped none. I am so glad. They don't look nice. I would hate to have them come and strip my trees. I don't like worms. We have a lot of tent caterpillars. They build a web in a tree (mostly fruit and nut trees) and then they strip the leaves. We usually burn them if you can reach them. I am so sorry it has happened to you. I do hope some of your trees will grow new leaves. Your trees are sad looking. :no:

Ewwww~!!!!! I grew up in CT and I think in the late '70s we had a bad time like you are now. They were everywhere. Even had to watch driving some of the back roads as they were slick with them. Can still remember seeing them on silk spread from tree to tree across the roads. I was a kid then, but know we painted something on trees to keep them from climbing then we sprayed or burned their nests.

I wish you luck!!!!! Hope you dont get hit as bad as we did then.

I think I read somewhere they come in cycles I think maybe 10 year?

We are due for it soon I think, I hate them.

I know we put aluminum foil around th etree trunks and them put grease of some type can't remember what it was, they got caught in the grease and couldn't get to the leaves.

I hate them they are disgusting.

I think God made a big mistake on mosquitos and gypsy moths..........
default_yes.gif
:

default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

Wow! Yuck-O! We don't have them up here much at all! Very few of their tents to be seen as we drive around. Also, we have had much more rain than you. I guess I should knock on wood because we still have nice green grass here. It grows faster than you can cut it. It is very hot here today, but it's s'pose to rain tonight with nasty storms and bring back the not so humid weather.

They look like the same things we call army worms or tent caterpillars. Yes, they sure do destroy the plantation....strip everything bare! The highways are like grease from a steady stream of th4em getting run over and smooshed into the pavement. Thank God they have not been here for several years...they go in cycles. NOT looking forward to their return! :no:

On second thought I don't think what we had were gypsy moths.....I think they were tent caterpillars.

Yes Mona......the streets were covered in the things. Gross me out.

We are just into "Love Bug" season here. That is fun too. You go 1 mile down the highway and your windshield is white. DISGUSTING! The females and males fly around attached to each other.

250px-Lovebugs.jpg

I told ya Cheyenne, you're missing a golden opportunity here...

You could be the town entrepeneur........

Set up a little roadside sand and sell them to the fishermen..... :bgrin

There has to be some earthly use for them.........

Back