Went to a fair. Dissapointed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

End Level Farms

Reaction score
I went to a fair yesterday. And as most fairs do they had animals in pens for people to look at. And I was very disappointed by the miniature horse display.

All the others had tons of information ect on the animals. There was minimal information on the miniature horse even as a breed.

Not to mention the mare was trying to bite people and attack people. I understand that its tiring and hot and having people want to touch you and pet you all the time can make one grumpy. HOWEVER I don't feel this is a safe or fair way to show the wonderful miniature horse.

I heard so many people standing there telling their friends and family that is why they would never owning a miniature horse. They all have bad attitudes and hurt people. And it's not like they are good for anything anyway.

If your planning on using your horse for a fair type display I think you should try your best to make sure its the mini that best represents the breeds personality. We all have one of those mares or geldings who just LOVES pats and loves. Take that one not the one that is the PRETTIEST or has a foal at foot. This is crazy and just helps reinforce the miniature horse "IMAGE". We are trying to educate the love and understanding of miniature horses with people who don't have much or any horse experience or experienced horse owners who don't like the miniature attitude.

If you have only one horse and you are asked to do a display. Talk to other breeders in the area and try and get more than one that can cycle. So they have shifts. Then they are less likely to get angry or territorial. And if the fair doesn't respect that the animals need a break from the public don't take the horses. In the long term who suffers from bad representation.

EVERYONE and Every HORSE.

They always have the worst representations of the minis at fairs. About a month ago we had the Red River Valley fair here in North Dakota. Of COURSE I had to stop by the petting zoo. They had a miniature horse there who was blocked off because I think he was also very annoyed with people and was trying to bite. They had him listed as being a dwarf, but he was not. He was probably around 31" and fairly overweight, but he was NOT a dwarf and if he lost weight could probably have made a semi decent show horse. I don't know why they listed him as being a dwarf, maybe they thought it increased his value. Oh and he was INTACT while being listed as a dwarf...that was the part that just really ticked me off. What is that saying to people??

I took my horses to the local fair for several years. I always stayed with them and interacted with the people who came to look at them. I brought brushes and combs for the children to brush them. I am involved with other aspects of the fair now so don't take my horse, but my sister takes her horse; she is managing the petting zoo now. Our horses enjoy all the attention for those few hours and don't seem to mind it.

Also, she and I are visiting the school the day before the school children visit the fair. We will be taking a few ducklings and chicks and our mission is to present to the students the correct way to handle animals BEFORE they come to the fair.

It seems unfair to leave a miniature horse unattended at a public place like that. If he didn't nip before, he probably would by the time the day was over--can you imagine all the fingers and junk that would be shoved at him during a day?

I took my horses to the local fair for several years. I always stayed with them and interacted with the people who came to look at them. I brought brushes and combs for the children to brush them. I am involved with other aspects of the fair now so don't take my horse, but my sister takes her horse; she is managing the petting zoo now. Our horses enjoy all the attention for those few hours and don't seem to mind it.

Also, she and I are visiting the school the day before the school children visit the fair. We will be taking a few ducklings and chicks and our mission is to present to the students the correct way to handle animals BEFORE they come to the fair.

It seems unfair to leave a miniature horse unattended at a public place like that. If he didn't nip before, he probably would by the time the day was over--can you imagine all the fingers and junk that would be shoved at him during a day?
Our Delmarva Miniature Horse Club members take many of our Minis to fairs, Expos, town holidays, and festivals.They are NEVER left unattended and visitors are instructed how to interact with the animals.Children and adults who will not follow instructions about proper behavior with the horses are asked to leave.No horse is ever on display for more than a few hours at a time.We also pass out informational literature about the breed.Sorry there are so many people oput there who give the breed a bad name.

Our local fair had about 12 head. All but 2 were unregistered, and definitely bad representations of the breed. One was a stallion who was tied with 2 TWO halters on. He wasn't shown because his owners said he bites and strikes. And he's still a stallion because?? Oh he throws beautiful babies - they all have long manes and tails. Yep, that's the FIRST think I look for in a horse!!!

I had sold a colt to a lady and she took him. I took some flyers, but there really aren't any "presentations" or displays. The problem is that people don't respect displays, or kids rip and tear because their parents aren't paying attention. I don't take mine for that very reason. The horses have to be on the grounds from Sunday to Saturday night, and in their stalls during "prime time" which is 5 - 9 pm.

The driving classes were so much different than a breed show. Big bulky harnesses, heavy steel carts. No real transisition in gaits. No collection at all. If the horses didn't have to stay at the grounds for so long, I'd be tempted to take a few. Not being a braggart, but would like to show what a miniature horse can do.

We also attended our first local county fair this past weekend and had a great experience. One of our local mini people worked with the fair board and they agreed to create some classes. We ended up with about 16 minis in 6 classes showing on the same days as the percherons, clydesdales and belgians. It was quite a contrast and the crowds loved it. The minis ranged from pet to show quality, groomed and ungroomed, 10 yrs old to 2 months in halter, driving and jumping/barrel race classes. The judge had never judged minis before--draft horses only--but his placings were spot on and I think he really enjoyed it.

The minis were extremely popular with the attendees, particularly the kids. We brought our show stallion--and put him in a stallion stall--and a 2yr old gelding and yearling filly brother/sister pair who are super friendly and sweet. They got alot of attention although by the end of the weekend, they were crabby and tired and just wanted to go home (like we all did). All the exhibitors watched out for each other's horses and we educated each other on our breeds. We took the opportunity to promote minis and what they can do--although they do a pretty good job of marketing themselves--and we set up a table with older copies of the World and Journal magazines as well as our local club newletter. I bet I talked to 500 people if I talked to one and they were just amazed at the versatility and sweetness of our "pocket ponies". Yes, I had to explain once or twice why they couldn't have corn and that they were minis not ponies and that its not cruel to have them driving carts, but again its an opportunity to educate. I am pretty sure that at least one of the mini owners I met will join our MN club and get started showing. I also think I may have met a couple of families who would be great homes for our pet quality horses in the future.

I understand the concern about the quality or care of the horses that may show up, but the best antidote is for us to show up and present a different picture.

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience--I only agreed to show up to help out a friend who wanted to get a mini presence at the local fair--and will definitely do it again next year.

We also attended our first local county fair this past weekend and had a great experience. One of our local mini people worked with the fair board and they agreed to create some classes. We ended up with about 16 minis in 6 classes showing on the same days as the percherons, clydesdales and belgians. It was quite a contrast and the crowds loved it. The minis ranged from pet to show quality, groomed and ungroomed, 10 yrs old to 2 months in halter, driving and jumping/barrel race classes. The judge had never judged minis before--draft horses only--but his placings were spot on and I think he really enjoyed it.

The minis were extremely popular with the attendees, particularly the kids. We brought our show stallion--and put him in a stallion stall--and a 2yr old gelding and yearling filly brother/sister pair who are super friendly and sweet. They got alot of attention although by the end of the weekend, they were crabby and tired and just wanted to go home (like we all did). All the exhibitors watched out for each other's horses and we educated each other on our breeds. We took the opportunity to promote minis and what they can do--although they do a pretty good job of marketing themselves--and we set up a table with older copies of the World and Journal magazines as well as our local club newletter. I bet I talked to 500 people if I talked to one and they were just amazed at the versatility and sweetness of our "pocket ponies". Yes, I had to explain once or twice why they couldn't have corn and that they were minis not ponies and that its not cruel to have them driving carts, but again its an opportunity to educate. I am pretty sure that at least one of the mini owners I met will join our MN club and get started showing. I also think I may have met a couple of families who would be great homes for our pet quality horses in the future.

I understand the concern about the quality or care of the horses that may show up, but the best antidote is for us to show up and present a different picture.

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience--I only agreed to show up to help out a friend who wanted to get a mini presence at the local fair--and will definitely do it again next year.

oops-whenever I try to post I mess it up, sorry.

We take usually 4 or 5 mini's to our local county fair, its the biggest in Nebraska with over 2000 horse entries. All of our horses are "kid friendly" and no stallions are allowed. We get the horses out for the people to pet and enjoy, and have always had a positive experience. The kids are always polite, the parents tell them they need to ask permission to pet the horses, then make them say thank you when they leave. I think the adults enjoy it as much as the kids! We try to educate the public about mini's, answer their questions, and have information available from AMHR. A few years ago I called AMHR about getting some info for the public and they sent me tons of stuff-magazines, pamphlets, posters, membership forms-all for free just for the asking.

My 14 year old daughter Chloe has shown mini's at the Co Fair for the past 5 years, in both mini classes and regular horse classes such as showmanship and halter. She usually places well with them and has never had a negative experience. She has been asked to enter the arena last for safely reasons, for herself and others around her. Sometimes the big horses get a little freaked out seeing a mini for the first time, and we don't want any kids or horses getting hurt. Last year our stall area was in a high traffic area so we could interact with the fairgoers. Our mini's love all the attention! We put short stall gates on their stalls so when we didn't have them out, people could still see them and pet them. One little girl kept sneaking back to pet them, and this year some of the kids remembered Tuckers name and came back to see him.

I think that it's a positive thing for both the horses and the fairgoers if it's handled correctly. We have always had a wonderful experience and never had any problems.

Becky

You didn't mention whether its owner was at the end of its lead rope or nearby attempting to keep spectators from torturing (poking, slapping, etc.) it while it was in its pen??? It really is not fair to ask an animal to be a "good ambassador" by itself. Could a group of cruel natured children (or adults!) been harrassing it in its pen before you came along? I have seen stuff like this happen at fair as well as horse shows!

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister had the exact opposite experience. She was showing at her State Fair in the AMHA show. While getting her horse ready, he was tied in the aisle and two seperate groups of people came along and just plopped their kids on top of the horse and began to take pictures. (Need to add that one of those "groups" didn't even speak English when we tried to talk to them).

So I can see a horse (mini or otherwise) becoming very irritated with "uneducated" people because we sure were unhappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention whether its owner was at the end of its lead rope or nearby attempting to keep spectators from torturing (poking, slapping, etc.) it while it was in its pen??? It really is not fair to ask an animal to be a "good ambassador" by itself. Could a group of cruel natured children (or adults!) been harrassing it in its pen before you came along? I have seen stuff like this happen at fair as well as horse shows!

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me or a previous post, but to answer your questions- yes, our horses were either on a lead rope with myself, my husband or one of our teenagers at the other end. And yes, when they were in their stalls, one of us were within 6 to 8 feet of them at all times. We have NEVER had an issue with anyone, child or adult, torturing or even attempting to torture, any of our horses. We are located in a small town, we have a wonderful co fair and the people attending it are very appreciative of the chance to pet the animals and educate their kids on proper handling and safety involved. If I ever thought someone was abusing or torturing our horses, we would not let anyone handle them. Of course all of our horses are "kid friendly" and we would never own any that aren't, let alone take them to a co fair to interact with children. So hopefully this addresses your concerns.

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me or a previous post, but to answer your questions- yes, our horses were either on a lead rope with myself, my husband or one of our teenagers at the other end. And yes, when they were in their stalls, one of us were within 6 to 8 feet of them at all times. We have NEVER had an issue with anyone, child or adult, torturing or even attempting to torture, any of our horses. We are located in a small town, we have a wonderful co fair and the people attending it are very appreciative of the chance to pet the animals and educate their kids on proper handling and safety involved. If I ever thought someone was abusing or torturing our horses, we would not let anyone handle them. Of course all of our horses are "kid friendly" and we would never own any that aren't, let alone take them to a co fair to interact with children. So hopefully this addresses your concerns.
No, I am sorry, my post was in response to the OP (original/first post). I was just trying to point out that I, personally, do not believe that it is fair to expect an animal to be a "good ambassador" by itself (unattended) as well as to point out the possibility that it had already been agitated by someone else. I have seen "spectators" at county fairs do stupid things to/around the animals on display and I, personally, would never leave my animal unattended as, unfortunately, people can be quite cruel.

No, I am sorry, my post was in response to the OP (original/first post). I was just trying to point out that I, personally, do not believe that it is fair to expect an animal to be a "good ambassador" by itself (unattended) as well as to point out the possibility that it had already been agitated by someone else. I have seen "spectators" at county fairs do stupid things to/around the animals on display and I, personally, would never leave my animal unattended as, unfortunately, people can be quite cruel.
We would never leave them unattended where people can get to them, touch them or tease them. When we leave for the night we shut their big stall door and take the short gate down. One of our mini's does get aggravated by the end of the week from all the attention, so we just let him chill out in his stall. He does great for a few days but then loses his patience (which we all do by the end of the week!) plus this year it was sooo hot and humid we kept them in their stalls alot more so they could relax in front of the fans.

I think the fairs are a great way to promote the breed, but you also have to be careful on how you present it.

I say take very friendly miniature horses over there for everyone to enjoy. They do not need to be show horses, but atleast not major flaws either. But fairs are such an family event its a great way to promote and advertise them as kids horses. Also be there to educate people, gives a good impression. As always try and receive any registry information that you can hand out to the public like pamphlets.

I can look at this from both sides. We have taken 2 of our minis to a local Farm Fest where they are kept in a small covered enclosure (4 green panels) and kids come up and pet them. One is a show mini and the other is not "show quality" but is very good at public relations! Well, they both are. See Farm Fest photo. We also take info on minis and we are there all day to answer questions and keep an eye on things.

I have also been in charge of similar events where I found it almost impossible to get mini owners to provide animals for even part of a day. It can get very frustrating and sometimes you take what is offered. Often that will be show animals which might or might not be the best fit. Sometimes you can't tell how they will react until they are put in that situation. And even though we have two minis that thrive in this type of environment, we are not always available to bring them.

Completely alone.

There was no one around with the mini. All the other exhibits had people. The other animals were friendly and happy. It was just the mini who was angry.

Latest posts

Back