Well, I started building my shelter...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
So, I really was trying to avoid spending any money on a temp shelter. We will be building a larger, permanent one in the nearish future, but for now, I just made a small one that would keep the snow off of them and block the wind.

I only had 3 sheets of plywood, so I will have to go buy one more to finish the roof. I also need to figure out a way to support the roof...if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to share. I am not very good at this sort of thing and this is the first time I have built ANYTHING...

Anyway, here is my ugly shelter...I am actually kind of embarassed, lol. BUT, I am by myself and we can't spend the extra money to pay someone to build anything right now, since we will be drilling a new well and fixing our heating issue...

Batman checking things out.

180376_10150089303600382_575500381_6441003_1840569_n.jpg

I got inside of it, and it really does a good job blocking the wind.

180096_10150089303915382_575500381_6441013_3878969_n.jpg

I attached that back side to the wire fencing panel with hopes that it might help to hold it in place in windy weather. I also attached a 4x4 to the bottom of each side to help hold it in place.

182916_10150089304840382_575500381_6441027_1521523_n.jpg

Like I said, it isn't completely finished. I have to get the plywood to finish the roof and I have to put some tin or a tarp over the roof to keep it dry.

Any suggestions would be great! Please be nice though, lol. I know I am terrible at this type of thing.
default_biggrin.png

Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective and it looks to me like you've got a great start. None of our barns and run ins are fancy at my place. Make sure the roof board is secure so it can't fall down. If you can make a way to slant it, that would be great for snow and rain sliding off it vs. piling on it. I like how the back wall is not solid. Minis benefit from ventilation in their shelters. I think you're doing a good job
default_yes.gif

Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective and it looks to me like you've got a great start. None of our barns and run ins are fancy at my place. Make sure the roof board is secure so it can't fall down. If you can make a way to slant it, that would be great for snow and rain sliding off it vs. piling on it. I like how the back wall is not solid. Minis benefit from ventilation in their shelters. I think you're doing a good job
default_yes.gif

Thanks
default_smile.png
That makes me feel better, lol. The roof is attached very well to the side walls. I attached 2x4s to the sides at the top and then nailed the roof to the 2x4s. It shouldn't go anywhere, especially since the nails came all the way through the 2x4s, so I hooked the point of the nail around and hammered it flat to keep it from poking anyone
default_smile.png

Wow, that is great!! I think it doesn't look bad at all! You did a good job.

As far as roof supports, I'm not a builder either, but I think I would just use some 4x4 posts down the center. Maybe one where the 2 pieces of ply wood (once you get the other sheet) come together, then one at the front. You could maybe use a 2x4 on top of the 4x4 to make a T shape at the top. That would give you more to screw or nail into. Also would help hold the posts up. Either make them a bit taller then the shelter, so the weight will help hold them up, or dig a small hole to put them in, then nail them to the roof. Hope that made since!
wacko.gif
biggrin.gif

Pretty clever! If you mount a board to the left,running across the front left to the back left up towards the top of the posts, then screw some 2x4s from that board to the lower right boad, you will add support to you roof as well as a pitched angle for water and snow runoff. You can also purchase panels that look like metal roofing, but they are made from shingle material. Home depot and Lowes carry them. They are in the corregated roofing section, they work great for things like wood sheds and low livestock roofs. They don't have sharp pointy edges like metal roofing.

You will need some type of 2x4s, 16"-20" apart (on edge so they don't warp) under your plywood so it can be weight baring, otherwise it will warp if it has snow on it. I would also add a pressure treat 2x6 across the bottom from 4x4 to 4x4. This will keep bedding in, or screenings/stone if you build up th ebase to keep it dry, and will also keep your open front from working its way apart over time. You may also need maybe 3 lengths of 2x4 going from your bottim 4x4 to the top 2x4 (mounted to the inside north and south) to anchor the plywood to so it doesn't bubble out if it gets damp. It is REALLY CLEVER the way you set it up.

I have done more than my fair share of wood building, Hubby says I can have them but he doesn't have the time to build me things. Determination is a funny thing, I was such a priss in high school, I would have never thought I would have built most of my own barn myself almost 20 years later, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is great!! I think it doesn't look bad at all! You did a good job.

As far as roof supports, I'm not a builder either, but I think I would just use some 4x4 posts down the center. Maybe one where the 2 pieces of ply wood (once you get the other sheet) come together, then one at the front. You could maybe use a 2x4 on top of the 4x4 to make a T shape at the top. That would give you more to screw or nail into. Also would help hold the posts up. Either make them a bit taller then the shelter, so the weight will help hold them up, or dig a small hole to put them in, then nail them to the roof. Hope that made since!
wacko.gif
biggrin.gif
I thought about using a 4x4 to support the roof, but I was afraid of it taking up space in the alread smallish shelter...That may work though. Thanks!

Pretty clever! If you mount a board to the left,running across the front left to the back left up towards the top of the posts, then screw some 2x4s from that board to the lower right boad, you will add support to you roof as well as a pitched angle for water and snow runoff. You can also purchase panels that look like metal roofing, but they are made from shingle material. Home depot and Lowes carry them. They are in the corregated roofing section, they work great for things like wood sheds and low livestock roofs. They don't have sharp pointy edges like metal roofing.

You will need some type of 2x4s 16"-20" apart (on edge so they don't warp) under your plywood so it can be weight baring, otherwise it will warp if it has snow on it.

I have done more than my fair share of wood building, Hubby says I can have them but he doesn't have the time to build me things. Determination is a funny thing, I was such a priss in high school, I would have never thought I would have built most of my own barn myself almost 20 years later, LOL.
I appreciate everything that you just typed, but I am so confused, lol. I am having trouble picturing what you are saying about the roof supports. Sorry
default_sad.png

I will definitely look into the roofing that you suggested though. That might be better than the metal.

I will have to buy some more 2x4s as well...

Thanks for trying...sorry I am feeling kind of brainless right now...

I thought about using a 4x4 to support the roof, but I was afraid of it taking up space in the alread smallish shelter...That may work though. Thanks!

I appreciate everything that you just typed, but I am so confused, lol. I am having trouble picturing what you are saying about the roof supports. Sorry
default_sad.png

I will definitely look into the roofing that you suggested though. That might be better than the metal.

I will have to buy some more 2x4s as well...

Thanks for trying...sorry I am feeling kind of brainless right now...
Maybe this would help, Of course it is just a generalized skeleton, not showing exact measurements or the plywood outside, LOL. I looked colser at your photo, I thought you were using the wood fence posts as the two corner posts. If they are securely anchored in the ground, I would just use them for the very left back post and the very front left post, they are tall enough.

IMAG010abc-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you did a great job !!! Batman even likes it.
Thanks!

Maybe this would help, Of course it is just a generalized skeleton, not showing exact measurements or the plywood outside, LOL. I looked colser at your photo, I thought you were using the wood fence posts as the two corner posts. If they are securely anchored in the ground, I would just use them for the very left back post and the very front left post, they are tall enough.

IMAG010abc-1-1.jpg

That helps A LOT! Thanks!!

Youve done a great job ! The minis dont care what it looks likeas long as its warm !

Just as long as they are out of the bad elements and can get relief from hot weather they don't care what it looks like for the color. The one we made for my mini had the door in the wrong place letting in alot of wind so we put up a small tarp that we tie off to one side during the day and keep open on warmish nights. I think I will copy your design for the future minis I buy that my hubby doesn't no about yet
default_new_shocked.gif

Youve done a great job ! The minis dont care what it looks likeas long as its warm !
I went out to feed and Robin was in there hanging out
default_smile.png
I am just happy that it is still standing, lol
default_biggrin.png

Just as long as they are out of the bad elements and can get relief from hot weather they don't care what it looks like for the color. The one we made for my mini had the door in the wrong place letting in alot of wind so we put up a small tarp that we tie off to one side during the day and keep open on warmish nights. I think I will copy your design for the future minis I buy that my hubby doesn't no about yet
default_new_shocked.gif

I am flattered! LOL...just don't tell hubby I was involved in any way
default_new_shocked.gif

Ugly doesn't matter and I don't think its ugly anyhow.You can make it pretty later in the spring. As long as the horses are pretty and have ribbons and bows and scrunchies in their manes and forelocks its all good!
default_biggrin.png

Carolyn has a good plan. As long as your ground is frozen, not much you can do at the moment. But you might go to the hardware store or sporting goods store and ask them about steep type thingys that the people use for tents that you bang into the ground with a sledge hammer and then you run safe lines to secure it from blowing away or collapsing. :

I applaud you for building a shelter. I cannot stand to see any animal without a shelter. You is heep big good guy. :
default_aktion033.gif

I agree with everyone.........Good job. And thank you for this thread. We are planning more shelters and this gives us some ideas.
default_yes.gif

Ugly doesn't matter and I don't think its ugly anyhow.You can make it pretty later in the spring. As long as the horses are pretty and have ribbons and bows and scrunchies in their manes and forelocks its all good!
default_biggrin.png

Carolyn has a good plan. As long as your ground is frozen, not much you can do at the moment. But you might go to the hardware store or sporting goods store and ask them about steep type thingys that the people use for tents that you bang into the ground with a sledge hammer and then you run safe lines to secure it from blowing away or collapsing. :

I applaud you for building a shelter. I cannot stand to see any animal without a shelter. You is heep big good guy. :
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks! I do plan to add some support and anchor it a little more as well
default_smile.png
It won't be today though, as my muscles feel like Jello, lol
default_rolleyes.gif

I agree with everyone.........Good job. And thank you for this thread. We are planning more shelters and this gives us some ideas.
default_yes.gif
Thanks! I am glad I was able to give you some ideas
default_biggrin.png

So, my husband told me I did a good job, but he gave me a few pointers on how to support it and make sure it doesn't go anywhere...he sent me these two photos last night...

The green lines are where he thinks I should anchor it to the existing posts. The blue is the extra support post he thinks I should add (but said he knows that he will have to do that when he gets home, lol), and the red lines are extra support 2x4s.

boryshelter-1.jpg

Then he sent me this one and told me to finish it like this, lmbo! Yeah...because I can do that, lol. He was kidding though...I hope.

boryshelter2-1.jpg

I think it's impressive! You have quite the can-do attitude!
default_aktion033.gif

Sometimes horses like to chew on wood, so keep an eye out for that; you can add metal corner strips to your posts to stop chewing on those. On plywood I've sometimes had to resort to rubbing a bar of soap on the areas they like to gnaw, tastes icky and they quit.

My horses get plenty of hay but sometimes boredom sets in...

Latest posts

Back