Weird question, labor and movement.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Ok I hope I can explain this to make sense.

I have a mare under camera. She is waxed and appears ready to go. I still can see her foal move in her belly. So does that mean that labor hasn't begun?

The foal doesn't move around once its heading into the canal, right?

I know these are weird questions, but something I always wonder when I see the foal moving about in moms tummy I assumed that it would be awhile before the actual birth.

This is what happens on mare stare, weird thoughts............
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I have a mare that foaled on Sunday. I NEVER saw movement in her belly until the day before she foaled. Then I saw TONS of movement all day long. There was no mistaking it.

My understanding is that the baby moves pretty much whenever he feels like it! You will see them move a bit more as they are turning around and getting into position to go down the birth canal, and they may not move quite as much once they are in position as they are a bit more compressed. However, some of the little beggers will carry on all the way till they hit the ground, and some won't hardly kick at all! Just like with everything else in equine reproduction, it varies dramatically!
default_rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure it can be used as an indicator of when the mare will foal. Watching the shape of the belly will tell you more than how active the baby is.

After saying all that, I should probably add that many of my mares have a lot of activity 6 to 10 hours before foaling. It is more than usual, but not so much that it alerts me to anything. It is usually one of those things where right after a birth I find myself saying, "Gee, I wonder if this is why the baby was kicking so much last night?" Hind sight being 20/20 and all!

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a mare foal sunday and you could see the foal moving even during labor. I know from what I have read its very last minute that the foal flips over and heads into the diving position. So I have never believed that a lack of movement meant foaling was close. I just think some foals move more then others
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back