weird color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay i have no recent pics of Rocky ..but i can describe it.

Basically he is all black ..pure black ..black beauty black. Exept he has a red/orange mane and tail. I cannot find it on the color sites anywhere. It reminds me of fire kinda. Anyone know what color he is?

Do you have a picture? Curious to see this color if nothing else.
smile.gif

I've seen black horses that bleach out to a redish color during the summer....could that have been what happened?

Has he always had the red/orange mane and tail? It's possible he has just sun-bleached the hair of his mane and tail, but could also be his actual coloring.

Sounds like a good description of a black horse that's been in the sun this summer!

It's one of the headaches that people deal with when wanting to show a black horse -- (been there and done that.)
biggrin.gif

Are you planning on showing Rocky next season?

MA

no ..i know it cant be sunbleaching because

1) its only the mane and tail

2) I use this detangler on them about every other day (or 1 or 2 a week...depends) w/ has sun protection in it.

I just gave him his first bath and he was insainly dirty. I was brushing him out after he dried bc while he was wet it still looked black ..but about 3 hours later i seen it and couldnt beleive it. This was the second bath i gave him but the first one was just to cool him off and lasted about 30 seconds ...didnt get to deep down w/ soap and conditioner like today.

I will get pic tommarow. Im still trying to find a name. Someone said it could be a weird buckskin color (im highly doughting buckskin though).

Leeana

My mare, Chantilly, has that too, but she is just black. It is sun bleaching. I know a gelding my friend has that is black and has the same thing (I told her to dye it, but she liked it
laugh.gif
)

Sometimes those sunblocks do not work. I was using some on Chantilly and it actually colored quickly

It is sun bleaching. I have had QUITE a few black horses (they are my favorite) and some of them are VERY prone to sunbleaching, which will cause quite orange hair! If the hair deep in the roots are bright orange too, then it can't be sunbleaching I guess... then I wouldn't know!

Andrea

Sounds like sun bleaching to me, I have two black horses and they both get that.

In case it is not sun bleached,

I am saying Smoky Black, but when they get the funny color on main and tail, it is usually yellow/orange.

main and tail hair compared to body hair are alot diferent, and it just so happens the mane and tail get sun bleached easy! I wouldnt rely on the sunblock 100% espeicially if you havent put it on him all the time, it could easly wash away or get rubbed off! i bet it is sun Bleaching!

-Gage-

A good way to see if it is sun bleaching is to run you arm under the mane and flip it over if that hair is black then it is simply sun bleaching.

kwjenny said:
A good way to see if it is sun bleaching is to run you arm under the mane and flip it over if that hair is black then it is simply sun bleaching.
483047[/snapback]

Good Idea Jennifer!

-Gage-

Im going to try the flipping thing tommarow w/ his mane.

But it wasnt that color untill after i washed the mud and stuff out of it (he's a roller ...
wub.gif
). A couple weeks ago it was black and normal (i brush it daily) and it wasnt that redish color untill it dried today. But it could have just been dirty back then to ...will get pics. Have not had much sun over the past couple weeks either ..been kinda gloomy. Im thinking sum bleaching though. Will just have to post pics i guess.
biggrin.gif

I would have to say it is sun bleaching too. I also had a black black stallion, his mane and tail would turn that orange color and his body stayed black and I also used a sunscreen daily on him. I tried dyeing it and it turned BLUE!!
new_shocked.gif
and I mean BLUE! Like electric blue. I've decided if I ever have another black horse for showing, I'll pay someone to dye it for me
rolleyes.gif

I had a foal born this year who looked chestnut. She then turned black but her mane and tale still remain red. This is not a sunbleach red as I do have black horses but is definately a red mane and tail. I have not yet figured out what color to call her either.

Oakgrove that is called a liver chestnut.

Here is my example of a liver. I am looking to see if I can find her foal photos. SHe was bright red when she was born, then when clipped was black with red mane and tail. THis is her as a yearling....

tamale04.jpg

This year as a two year old she is a chocolet color. BOth her parents are black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back