Weird blood clot/scabby things...??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celia

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll cut right to the chase. I have 2 minis, and one of them has just since yesterday developed these little clotty-scab things (very small, just like the head of a needle) around random places...ie right where his forelegs meet his chest, but ESPECIALLY all around his sheath! Also, from one warm day in t/o, his eyelids were bleeding all gloopy--ack! So he is wearing his flymask, and it went away, but I don't know...

The only thing I can think of is that it's the flies...we have a major fly problem, which really doesn't make sense to me whatsoever, because I just have two minis on about 20 acres......how do I have billions of flies within TWO days of consecutive warmth? (I'm in NE Ohio..) So what are ways I can deal with this? My other mini is completely fine as far as he doesn't have any of those scabby clot things that Calvin does or eye-stuff, etc...does it have anything to do with Calvin being mostly white (pinto)? But he is less shed out than Beamer is, so I just don't know...

So please help me figure out

1) If the scabby things are from the flies or from ___(?)___.

2) How to help him out if it's not the flies...

3) Fly control for such a small farm with such a HUGE fly problem!!

Thank you!!

~TheGoldenFilly!~

Can't say for sure, but it sounds like "punkies" . The actual term, I believe is black flys. They are teensy weensy , they show up in the Spring and are real bad for a week or two. They bother humans, too, flying around your head really close, biting behind ears,etc.

The poor horses get bitten on the chest, up the center of the neck and all down the center of the abdomen as well as udders and sheaths. If you run your hand over these areas, you will have blood on your hand and can feel all the bites and scabs.

These punkies will disappear soon, but try some fly spray, it may help. They are especially bad when there is NO breeze. Some horses get attacked worse than others.

Hope that helped. Maybe others will have other ideas.

Good luck
default_wacko.png

Probably black flies, some horses just egt bitten more than others. I have a big horse gelding that gets bitten around his sheath and gets those little bloody scabs. Just try some fly spray, even take a rag and rub some on his belly and back legs.

Well, I am going to guess gnats, but I think we agree it is some kind of insect. Try a fly spray. My pregnant mare has bites on her chest and flanks near her udder. They must itch because she just loves it when I scratch her there. One mare had so much blood on her chest when she came in today that she looked like she had been stabbed. The ears can also be affected, so fly masks will help. Or a windy day...

Okay, thank you all! I will definitely be applying some spray...I do have a silly question, though...is it okay to put it on where he has the scabs? I don't want it to sting or anything...but then again, I guess that Would be the lesser of two evils..

~TheGoldenFilly!~

Okay, thank you all! I will definitely be applying some spray...I do have a silly question, though...is it okay to put it on where he has the scabs? I don't want it to sting or anything...but then again, I guess that Would be the lesser of two evils..

~TheGoldenFilly!~
There's a fly ointment called, Swat, its safe to use around wounds, so would probably be great for the areas that already have little sores. Only problem with swat is that you have to apply by hand or with a rag, as it is an ointment.

~TheGoldenFilly!~
There's a fly ointment called, Swat, its safe to use around wounds, so would probably be great for the areas that already have little sores. Only problem with swat is that you have to apply by hand or with a rag, as it is an ointment.
okay, no problem, thank you!!

My friend has huge problems with her geldings and the black flies/gnats which I call no-see-ums. She started using Udder Balm on their underline in particular for the geldings and since it has lanolin and aloe it soothes what is there and keeps the bugs from biting because it is greasy. She reapplies it as necessary. Also she and I use Swat too for around wounds. The greasy Udder Balm has been her best solution after trying everything else. M-T-G on manes and tails applies in the evening to prevent burning will keep them from biting and ruining tail heads (sweet itch) and help the hair grow.

I use the Swat in/on my horses' ears. Just on the tips and right inside. Really helps to keep the flies off. I started using it as a horse I acquired had ticks in his ears and I needed a medicinal ointment that also repelled flies. I've also rubbed it on the bellies.

Another tip I got from a forum member is lime sulphur--the kind you get at garden stores for scale insects. A capful in a quart of water. I spray it on tails, manes, forelock area and around the feet. Haven't had any ticks on the horses since I sprayed this spring, and ticks are pretty bad. I think it is the sulphur that works. Does not smell good, but I believe it is also helping to keep those horrible biting gnats/flies at bay.

If he will let you clean his sheath area that might help to reduce flies there. I'm glad someone mentioned rubbing the fly spray on with a rag there; I forget about doing that.

Oil base fly sprays work better than water base. I'm also thinking mosquito spray is good for those tiny fly/gnat things.

I discovered Repel-X Lotion last year and I like it a lot more than SWAT. It's less thick, but seems to work just as well. We have a lot of gnats in our arena and it drives my stallion CRAZY if there is even ONE gnat on him.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back