weight control

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
FINALLY found a dealer that is certified to carry this..geesh.......who else is feeding this? I have him on Remission also..my lumpy bumpy 385 lb maxi-mini. It says 2lbs a day for an animal weighing in at 400lb.....4cups=1 lb..soooo should I start there or a bit under..I went and bought a scale today to be sure . Share your story on this as it is new for me...and I tell ya he is a happy boy with so much feed.....

I don't have any PUrina dealers around here, so don't know much about this product, it sounds good.

Is it a complete feed, to be fed alone? Or, do you feed it with hay?

2lbs per 400# body weight sure sounds like a lot for a diet feed, but it depends on the feed and how it works.

I believe you feed based on the weight they should be, not the weight they are when you are dieting them. So, how much should he weigh? Say, he should be 300#; which is 75% of 400#, so that would be 1.5# of the feed (based on 2#/400#BW).

Like any feed switch, start out slow and work them up to the recommended amount.

Be sure to let us know how it works for him.

I have been feeding it to my two fatties since June with great results. We still have a ways to go but the weight is falling off.

will try to get new photos this week

I have been feeding this to one obese older mare. She's been on it for about 2 months and I haven't notived any difference in her weight so I switched her to Progressives' Grass Balancer and grass hay. This mare is in foal and my vet said I'm going to have a hard time getting a foal out of her if she doesn't lose some weight!

Here is the website for Purina's WellSolve Weight Control feed if anyone is interested. I will say that it is one of the few Purina feeds that actually lists what is in it. Purina's WellSolve Weight Control Formula Feed

I'm in the process of switching my laminitic mare to it. She had a lot of weight to lose....started her on a diet last winter and she's getting close to good weight now. I was a bit shocked at the price ($24 here) but no more than I feed her a bag should last for a while.

Could someone tell me what the actual ingedients are in thes feed? I have scoured the website but can not find it, only the percentages. Thanks

Hmmm.....I'll have to try and see if the stores around here will carry it. I have a fatty gelding on remission and a mare that I started on. It would be nice to feed them a grain that would do it.
default_smile.png

Here ya go, off the tag:

WellSolve Weight Control,

FOR HORSES

CAUTION: USE ONLY AS DIRECTED

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude protein (min) 12.00%

Lysine (min) 0.70%

Crude fat (min) 1.00%

Crude Fiber (max) 26.00%

Calcium (Ca) (min) 0.85%

Calcium (Ca) (max) 1.30%

Phosphorus (P) (min) 0.60%

Magnesium (Mg) (min) 0.30%

Copper (Cu) (min) 65.0 ppm

Selenium (Se) (min) 0.60 ppm

Zinc (Zn) (min) 240.0 ppm

Vitamin A (min) 5,000 IU/lb

Vitamin E (min) 150 IU/lb.

INGREDIENTS

Dehydrated alfalfa, wheat middlings, ground soybean hulls, dried beet pulp, ground oat hulls, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, biotin, DL-me-thionine, locust bean gum, salt, L-lysine, D-alpha tocopheryl, acetate, magnesium oxide, tocopherols, (a preservative), L-ascorbyle-2-polyphosphate, vitamin A acetate, anise flavor, fenugreek flavor, thiamine mononitrate, cholecalciferol, calcium pantothenate, nicotinic acid, vitamin B-12 supplement, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, Lthreonine, cholinechloride, riboflavin, cobalt carbonate, ferrous carbonate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite.

***********************************************************************************

I also have the tag from the WellSolve L/S and they have close to the same ingredients, except L/S lists Fat at 5.5000% and fiber at 23.000% Sugars at 4.0000% max., and starch at 7.0000% max AND says at the bottom: RUMNANT AND BONE MEAL FREE.......

the W/C does not say that anywhere on the tag. Interesting.

I am feeding the W/C to 2 horses right now and am happy with the results. One of these horses is also getting Remission and Thyro L.

(edited to add: he also get soaked and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, etc, Beet Pulp, Platnum Performance and a little orchard grass (grown on my property) and a little alfalfa. He does better with alfalfa than grass hay......)

I fed the L/S to the same 2 horses as above and my horses actually GAINED weight on it. Not good when they are IR to begin with.

Just MY experience. Your mileage may vary....
default_smile.png

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back