Egads! Its apparently diet time around these parts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Since getting my first girls in the spring of 2009, I've had the mill I purchase 90% of my supplies from come out with their portable scale to get a weight check on all of them. This is a really good piece of information to have when it comes to knowing how much wormer to give and when your vet is trying to figure out the doseage on some meds.

I have to hang my head in shame at how *well* I'm feeding several of my girls. We actually had thought our 3 yr old was looking better. Ummm...no.

Here are the sad stats:

• Cha Cha
    (33.75" - 13 yr old hardkeeper) - 199lbs; up 2lbs from last year
  • Izzy
    (32" - 3 yr old) - 302lbs; up nearly 40lbs (
    new_shocked.gif
    ) from last year - definitely WAY to short for this weight
  • Missy
    (31.5" 2 yr old) - 223lbs; up 40lbs (
    new_shocked.gif
    ) from last year - not as bad as her sister, but close
  • Baby
    (30.5" 2 yr old) - 196lbs: up 30lbs from last year - expected her to actually weigh more
  • Lucy
    (28.5" 2 yr old ) - 222lbs; new to us this year so not sure how much she weighed last year...but at 28.5" inches it's too heavy
  • Ethel
    (36" 2 yr old) - 250lbs; the only one that I knew by "eye balling" was probably at a good weight for her height.

So, obviously, we have to do something different here for 3 or 4 of my 6 girls. I think I'm over feeding on the hay. I think I need to pay more strict attention to hay weight and how much they're getting per day. I also think I'm going to need to do some sort of separation at feeding times. Izzy, the one who is the heaviest and needs to lose the most, is my #2 horse who gets what SHE wants when I feed them as a group. Obviously, the rest are getting more than enough despite Izzy. I can separate them into three areas: 2 in stalls, 2 in the area right outside the stalls and 2 in the dry lot.

I'm feeding all but the hard keeper Strategy at the maintenance level. I'm wondering if I'd be better of to a ) feed them just hay right now or b ) go with a supplemental feed to ensure they get the right level of nutrients but no additional calories. For the record, I have them mostly on hay vs. pasture because of the lack of rain here has meant it hasn't been able to recover from them chewing it down, so I took them off of it except for an occasional 1 or 2 hour grazing session. And my hay is an alfalfa/orchard grass mix. I'm thinking of getting a supply of just grass mix for my heavy girls even if they waste some of it (as they did before when what I had was "stemmy")

And finally, I've got to get back on the exercising wagon. I've slacked of too much and it shows (on all of us!!) As soon as this 3 day high heat/humidity wave passes....we're going to be moving more around here!

Any suggestions on what YOU'VE done or see done to bring down weights would be greatly appreciated too!
biggrin.gif

Im going to go out on a limb here b/c I cant see the before and after photos of your horses. But is there a possibility that they are actually looking better and perhaps even more fit w/the extra lbs. Maybe you do need to exercise more ( mine sure could use more too )and that will be something you decide but w/people just because they have gained weight it isnt always a bad thing. Muscle weighs more and takes up a lot less space. Im not sure about horses and I hope someone can correct me but do "fit" horses burn more calories. your other threads always indicated that you do a great job w/your horses feed..i just think that perhaps you are being too hard on your self and maybe your horses are not as far off the mark as you think.

Remember too that winter is not too far away ( w/this heat I hope not )

Isnt feeding minis the worst....I still question myself w/every feeding so I do understand where you are coming from...drives me bonkers. Good luck!

Thanks LittleRibbie...your input is always appreciated. I trust your expertise and experience on these matters!

I definitely know that my 3 yr old (Izzy) is just too heavy for her own good. I could probably leave Baby as is. I'd prefer Missy to be a bit trimmer because she's the one I'm showing. Lucy just needs to not gain MORE as her short frame likely wouldn't handle any more weight without risking bringing on problems.

I'm leaning toward upping the level of exercise they get before I change anything else, as its something that needs done anyway. I also agree that I don't want to do anything drastic because I like them a bit meaty so I don't have to worry so much about them in the winter. I'm thinking a couple of "busy snacker" things might be a good idea too.

your other threads always indicated that you do a great job w/your horses feed
This made my day
wub.gif
As someone who has only been on this journey with horses (of any stripe) for a very short time, it is my #1 goal to do the best I can for them.

There was an article in the Miniature Horse World on feeding minis to get a good show weight, sorry I don't remember what page, but it was the most recent edition.

There was an article in the Miniature Horse World on feeding minis to get a good show weight, sorry I don't remember what page, but it was the most recent edition.
I thought that issue was inconsistant: one article talked about feeding minis for show and another article in the same issue talked about the risk of colic and other problems due to the show diet.
default_wacko.png
I thought those articles added to the feeding frenzy confusion for amateur folks.

As an aside, my two boys are overweight. We are in an "exceptional" drought here. LOOKS as though there is no forage in the pasture, but in reality, the dormant grass has a high level of sugar. Plus they are eating high-calorie mesquite beans now. I'm going to have to dry lot them for at least half a day for a while and feed regular hay to manage their weight.

Nice you were able to weigh your gang accurately, wingnut, so you know exactly where you are. I had one of mine weighed about amonth ago. He is 35" and weighed #316. Not bad, but I think he is over that now! And they both get pretty regular excercise with walks and driving. The droughty forage has sent them over the top.

Latest posts

Back