weeds in pasture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
these are some weeds in the pasture at my new place. just wondering if anyone can identify and note if they are toxic or okay. my guy eats anything green!

thanks alot!

weed8.jpg

weed10.jpg

weed7.jpg

weed6.jpg

weed5.jpg

weed3.jpg

weed2.jpg

Yup, no doubt in my mind, those are Official Florida Weeds
default_saludando.gif

these are some weeds in the pasture at my new place. just wondering if anyone can identify and note if they are toxic or okay. my guy eats anything green!
thanks alot!

weed8.jpg

weed10.jpg

weed7.jpg

weed6.jpg

weed5.jpg

weed3.jpg

weed2.jpg

Yep, florida weeds - you got that right!

Thanks for the link, Marty. I looked at it and didn't seem to match any. However, now I know how others look and they don't say they are toxic which is a good thing!!

Contact your county ag rep.......they have plenty of them in FL with all the citrus, etc.

None of them look toxic. I have this neat booklet with pictures that id weeds.

It came from Dow AgroSciences (people that make Grazon)

www.RangeAndPasture.com

Does your state have an Agricultural Extention office near you?

You can take samples in person or mail them to the AG EXT office and they will identify them for you and let you know if they are toxic to horses.

By the way, I think you have a big, green snake problem that looks more scary than the weeds!!!!
default_wink.png

Does your state have an Agricultural Extention office near you?
You can take samples in person or mail them to the AG EXT office and they will identify them for you and let you know if they are toxic to horses.

By the way, I think you have a big, green snake problem that looks more scary than the weeds!!!!
default_wink.png

Yes, we have an ag office. i have sent a couple of e-mails with pics to the person - still waiting on a reply... he's usually pretty good in getting back to me, but it's been a week - maybe he's on vacation
default_smile.png

lol - big green snake!! you had me going there for a minute - I HATE snakes!! :DOH!

None of them look toxic. I have this neat booklet with pictures that id weeds. It came from Dow AgroSciences (people that make Grazon)

www.RangeAndPasture.com

Glad none of them look toxic, cause they are everywhere.

Thanks for the website - that's great and what I'm looking for!

BTW, do you use Grazon?

we're looking for a horse-friendly weed killer. i've just starting spraying vinegar on some of these weeds in his pasture as that won't hurt him but i'm told the vinegar just kills the top part, not the roots, and will require maintenance. i don't mind, if it's safe for him, it's worth the work for me!

Glad none of them look toxic, cause they are everywhere.

Thanks for the website - that's great and what I'm looking for!

BTW, do you use Grazon?

we're looking for a horse-friendly weed killer. i've just starting spraying vinegar on some of these weeds in his pasture as that won't hurt him but i'm told the vinegar just kills the top part, not the roots, and will require maintenance. i don't mind, if it's safe for him, it's worth the work for me!

Grazon is perfectly safe as long as you follow the directions. I have a lot of clients that use it and have never heard of a problem.

weed6.jpg

This one looks like a Texas weed that when it grows up changes in appearance at different growth stages to a rather large/tall ugly looking plant that resembles a palm leaf (several of them growing up from the ground) that has been trimmed off blunt on the outside edges. The root of this plant is huge and looks like a turnip when dug out of the ground. Do no know the name of it, but they spread and are about 3-4 ' tall at maturity.

weed2.jpg

This one some kind of wild oak leaf.

One looks like a fern type. I have heard that some fern types are toxic. I

t would be best to call a county agent though if you are concerned. Most horses from what I understand will not eat toxic plants, but of course my comment to that is: how do they do it is toxic to horses if horses won't eat it to find out? I am always cautious too..........

It has been so dry here in Texas we have NO WEEDS, and of course NO GRASS either. Where I live it is all sand, looks like a big beach with no ocean.

Latest posts

Back