Wee Foal test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't get the subject to come up when I search..so I'm asking for some info.

1. where do you purchase your tests?

2. What are your feelings regarding accuracy of the 120?

3. What do you find to be the best way to collect urine?

Thanks for any help!

1. I bought mine from somewhere in Alberta, so that doesn't help you.

2. Both the 38 and 120 have been 100% accurate for me

3. I use a styrofoam cup taped to the end of a wooden broom stick or similar. When I bring my guys in for dinner, they all pee within 2 minutes. I stealthily hold the cup under the stream
default_smile.png
. Only works if you stable at night, probably.

I don't remember where I got my tests but I think some of the on-line places like Valley Vet Supply carry them.

So far, I have had good luck with the 120, but not with the 38. I believe they test for different things, as I was told the 120 tests for something from the fetus and will not give a positive if the mare has aborted (which hormone tests might).

I have had the best luck keeping a paper cup and paper towel handy and just sopping up some urine after the mare pees. Then squeeze it into the cup, and even filter it through another paper towel if needed. I have also used a pad taped across the mare's rear end. You don't need much urine at all. One key is knowing when and where your mare likes to pee!!!

Just google Wee Foal test kit and it will give you places to purchase it from. That is what I did.

I used it for the first time this last year on one mare. To collect I used a syringe (with out needle) put her in a pen by herself at night, because she always pees right when I get to the barn in the morning. My ground is very hard so when she peed I just syringed some up. Very easy and I was impressed. Did the test and was positive. Now have felt the baby move so know it was accurate.

you can order from www.weefoal.com I've never used the early test but the 120 has been 100% accurate for us. and we use a pad taped to the mare or if the mare we want to test pees after bringing them in for the night and we're there I'll just use a paper towel to soak it up..

I concur, Valley Vet sells them in the States, and I've had 100% accuracy on the 120 day test used on day 120-133 or so. I've had poor success with the 38 day test, until they improve them I wont be buying those again.

I ordered mine from Weefoal.com. And I had the best luck with a pad taped on the mares hiney.

Like others have said, it was very easy to use a 'panty liner' taped just below the mare's tush. Took her in a stall, and bingo! Then just squeeze the urine out.
default_yes.gif

thank you everyone. All of your information is greatly appreciated. I have ordered a test and by the end of next week I should have an answer to 'THE' question.

We will also be using the 120 test on a mare. Can anyone post a pic on how to secure the pad on the horse please? Mine are pastured, so the other ways you all suggested won't work in my case.

We will also be using the 120 test on a mare. Can anyone post a pic on how to secure the pad on the horse please? Mine are pastured, so the other ways you all suggested won't work in my case.
I don't have a picture Linda, but I used duck tape to hold it in place. It didn't pull hair too badly. :)

I was out of duct tape, so I used clear packing tape. I just made the pieces a little longer and they stayed on and didn't pull hair. Make sure you place it where the mare will pee on it when she goes. I put it on horizontally about half on and half off her hooha.

Put some fresh shaving in the horse trailer, and load her; seems every horse I own has to pee almost as soon as they get on a trailer. [Doesn't always work, but might be worth a try.]

Now I remember why I said I would never buy one of these tests again! Tried all day yesterday to get urine. Zilch

Tried the pad taped on then papertowel on the stall floor. both damp but nothing to squeeze out. Unless a person is out there at the time of urination this doesn't work. I will try something again today, but I may have a Wefoal kit for sale at a good price.

Grrr

Obviously I am a slow learner. If something doesn't work why not spend the money and do it again???? duh

Can you tell I'm FRUSTRATED?

Well, it might take a few days to actually be there when the mare pees unless you can talk your stall cleaner(s) into doing this. That is why I just leave a paper cup and paper towel handy. Be patient and you will get urine!! After all, you have to be patient for 10-11 months to see the foal, so this is short term patience compared with that! Good luck. .

i lock my girls out of the barn during the day, the stalls get cleaned while they are out. If I put fresh shavings in their stalls then the first thing they do when they come in is pee! I just wait patiently with my paper cup and collect. It doesn't take but a couple of drops to do the job and I usually can get more that I need. Be patient it is worth the wait to know the result! PS I have also had great results with the Wee-Foal 120

"Well, it might take a few days to actually be there when the mare pees unless you can talk your stall cleaner(s) into doing this."

*I* am the stall cleaner and a very frustrated urine catcher right now. I swear this mare only pees outside or at midnight!

Back