Wee Foal 38 Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
I tried the wee foal test last year both times the tests didnt work right they where faulty the whole thing turned a funny color. A few others had this issue.

I was thinking about trying it again, has anyone had issues? Have the tests been right and accurate for you?

I had bad luck with the Wee Foal 38 test last year also, after using it successfully in the past. I had a clear negative where the mare was pregnant, and another one where I ran the test twice on the same sample, because I had an extra test, and one was positive and the other negative. That mare was also pregnant. I had much better luck with the 120 if you don't mind waiting that long. This year I went with ultrasound, got 2 confirmed pregnancies almost as soon as the next heat cycle was due.

I used a wee foal 38 and it messed up, streaked and ran along the test window. Got a replacement, tried again same results... So wee foal sent me 8 tests to use from the same urine sample.

the results were 2 positive/ 4 negative/ 4inconclusive . 4 tests were ran with diluted urine, diluted with distilled water 4 non diluted. Test results were same for both. Compared batch #'s and it didnt matter. Test results were random. Tests ran on between day 50 & 60 ( cant remember exactly)

Retested at day 120 with wee foal 120 and got a clear positive result. Mare was also vet checked in foal by US.

I have had friends use the 38 with same results... I am sticking with the 120 's...

It kind of reminds me of the pregnamare test...where the results are hard to read. I think that possibly the *hormone* used to test for is more fragile than whats tested for later in pregnancy. Maybe thats why the test smears easily?

Actually, the Wee Foal 120 does not test for a mare hormone but my understanding (unless they changed the test) is that it tests for something produced by the developing fetus. That is why you are very unlikely to get a false positive with that test, but you might with tests based on hormones, such as the Wee Foal 38 or the Pregnamare (blood) test.

I've used both the 38 and 120 and both were very clear and 100% accurate
default_smile.png

Actually, the Wee Foal 120 does not test for a mare hormone but my understanding (unless they changed the test) is that it tests for something produced by the developing fetus. That is why you are very unlikely to get a false positive with that test, but you might with tests based on hormones, such as the Wee Foal 38 or the Pregnamare (blood) test.
This is also my understanding.

Back