Weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spots n splashes

Reaction score
I have 2 colts that I am planning on taking to nationals this year. Both are a little over 3 months old and I'm gradually starting to wean them. They are eating on their own pretty good. They are on Mare and Foal by Seminole and grass and/or alfalfa hay. I would like some helpful information and tips on how to prepare them for nationals. They will be showing in halter and color classes. They are halter broke but are still learning to lead properly. I'd really appreciate anyone's help as far as show diet (well.. proper feeding), training etc. Just any helpful tips that you use with your babies. Also what type of supplements are safe for weanlings?

I have never shown a weanling so others may have better answers, but I always feed my weanlings-2 yr olds equine junior and then give them free choice grass/alfalfa hay. Oh and they also get grain with their equine junior. It sounds like a ton of food, especially when I write it down! But, my foals never get the hay bellies or lose weight on their toplines or hips. I have had a few that I have to take the grain away and go to just grass hay with the equine junior, but they are very easy keepers. The majority of my foals play so much and have such high metabolisms growing that if I don't keep the calories coming 24/7 they lose weight.

Also, you may want to keep your foals on their dams as long as possible-I know you wouldn't want to wait too long because you don't want a super stressed foal at Nationals. I don't wean mine til they are 4-5 months unless they are pulling the mare down. Just my personal experience, keeping them on their dams longer helps them mature a bit faster and also keeps the dreaded hay belly at bay.

For training I would stick with doing very short sessions. When I teach to lead I do a short 5 minute session when they get let out of the barn in the morning and another 5 minute session right before bedtime. They learn fast!

Lots of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never shown a weanling so others may have better answers, but I always feed my weanlings-2 yr olds equine junior and then give them free choice grass/alfalfa hay. Oh and they also get grain with their equine junior. It sounds like a ton of food, especially when I write it down! But, my foals never get the hay bellies or lose weight on their toplines or hips. I have had a few that I have to take the grain away and go to just grass hay with the equine junior, but they are very easy keepers. The majority of my foals play so much and have such high metabolisms growing that if I don't keep the calories coming 24/7 they lose weight.

Also, you may want to keep your foals on their dams as long as possible-I know you wouldn't want to wait too long because you don't want a super stressed foal at Nationals. I don't wean mine til they are 4-5 months unless they are pulling the mare down. Just my personal experience, keeping them on their dams longer helps them mature a bit faster and also keeps the dreaded hay belly at bay.

For training I would stick with doing very short sessions. When I teach to lead I do a short 5 minute session when they get let out of the barn in the morning and another 5 minute session right before bedtime. They learn fast!

Lots of luck to you!

Well one of the colts is getting fatter and his dam is getting thinner. I put her on grass pasture but she is still getting thinner and thinner while the colt is getting chabbier. Also it seems like he nurses 24/7 unlike the other colt. Is that normal for a 3 month old? They don't really play that much because its close to 100 degrees here. As far as training goes, I will work with them 5 mins in the morning and evening like you said and see how that goes. Thank you for your helpful information.

You're very welcome! I know someone on here with more experience will be able to help more with details on getting the boys ready for the show. If the one colt is pulling his dam down weightwise then I would definitely start to gradually wean. I like to wean foals together because it's less stressful so if the other colt is maturing well and eating well on his own already, then i'd wean them together (which it sounds like you had planned on doing).

I forget that not everyone has the same temperature as us up here in north dakota! It's been pretty hot the past couple of weeks but our summers lately have been mild so the babies play a lot. I bet the heat is taking all the energy right out of your little guys. Which reminds me, make sure they stay well hydrated when you wean. Beet pulp does wonders for that as well as helping with digestion. Could try to introduce it slowly-they'll probably not even sniff it the first few weeks, but eventually when they do get hooked you'll never get away with taking it out of their diet...they'll beg!

Latest posts

Back