Weanling Work Out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacie

Reaction score
Well I've been getting Rizer to Longe - something he picked up in two days o_O It's not perfect, but heck I'll take it! I've only been longing him for a couple of minutes each way. I'm not sure how long is a good time, because I obviously don't want to stress his joints out - common sense tells me to go light on him because in the stock horse world there are 4 year olds receiving hock injections >.< Do not want joint problems! My question is, how long can I longe him at a trot - safely? And are there any other exercises I can add in for him? He usually does a pretty good job of running around his pen for 5-10 minutes, being a typical foal. But then the rest of the day is spent grazing. Here's his schedule:

8 AM - Feeding

8:30 - Noon - Turn out

Noon - 4 - Stalled w/ Hay

4 - 8 - Turnout Again.

8 PM - Dinner.

Trying to keep him in the pen while it's in shade since it's been so hot here.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "longe" do you mean on a line, or free-lunge in a large space? I do not like to lunge any horses on a line until they are two years old. Yearlings, I hesitate to want to put in a round pen.

Weanlings should ONLY be free-lunged ("chased") around in a large space and allowed to run and play. If you have another weanling or yearling they get along with, turn them out together to have fun.

Weanlings and yearlings really shouldn't have "forced exercise" in my book. Their joints just aren't closed or developed. But let them play as long as they want.

Andrea

It's on a line in his pen. His pen is electrified and I do not want the electricity on while I'm in it because I'm 100% fated to touch it because that's how my life goes. He hasn't quite learned, or refuses to learn, that the fence can bite and he tests it frequently XD So for his sake since he is always looking for a way out, he's on a line. It's kind of ridiculous because it's long line even for my full size horses and to have him on the end of it seems to take forever to just get a full circle.

I attempted to pair him up with my paint. They got along fine, but Cowboy doesn't seem to understand that he's small and Rizer also doesn't seem to understand that he's small - otherwise they'd be perfect playmates. So when we turn him out with a buddy, he's with an old 29 year old quarter horse who just grazes. We unfortunately don't have a play pal for him... except the older dog who inisist that he's a puppy. Rizer shows interest in playing with her, but I'm honestly afraid the dog will tackle him. Not worried about her biting him at all, she's played with other ponies we've had and never left a mark (and might I add, they instigated her if she ignored them) but Rizer probably weighs less than our pit bull - which the old dog is used to playing with.

I used to take him on runs around the yard - and he'd run and buck and play - considering I was probably teaching him to do that, I stopped. Don't want that at shows. Other than that, it's just his little burst of energy in the morning and it's over.

I would go with your instincts... it's NOT a good idea to let minis of any age play with horses that are much larger than they are. Or dogs that were not raised around minis.

I have already given my advice on working weanlings though, perhaps some others will chime in for you.

Good luck,

Andrea

IMO a weanling should be not getting lunged on a line and/or in a circle. Running and playing outside is quite another matter...

He should not be in with big horses - youngsters tend to climb and harrass and even the oldest "big" horse deflecting him with a gentle kick that would not do anything to a fullsize weanling could spell disaster for a mini. Can he have his own paddock/pen where he can run and bounce as he pleases?
default_unsure.png

We have never worked a weanling and never will. I have actually never even seen a weanling that needed it. Ours play so hard that they are in shape

I do not. nor would I ever, work a weanling, far, far too young to do so.

I do not actually work yearlings, either, the most I will do if I have to because the weather is bad, is turn two out together in my BH sized round pen and encourage them to run around a bit, then when they have had enough I will let them stop.

There are far too many things that can go wrong with young legs and bodies to risk doing this sort of thing, turnout makes a lot more sense.

I think my views on turning BH's out with Minis is well known
default_rolleyes.gif

Well he is by himself most of the time (which I believe I stated previously) - which I'm assuming is why he's placid most of the day. We have a miniature mare, and pairing her with him is out of the question. The little witch cost me a vet bill on my paint gelding because she kicked him in the chest - which promptly began filling with fluid -__-. That, and she's not friendly towards people unless you put her in solitary confinement and I'd rather not have rizer picking up that habit. I'd love to get rid of her and replace her, but oddly, people don't want a 20+ year old miniature who's blind in one eye and who doesn't do anything besides eat grass.
default_rolleyes.gif

If you wanna get real with turning big horses out with miniatures - the little mare we have was kicked by her own kind. So, if you want to be real, horses get hurt despite the scenario - even if they're by their lonesome. With every small pony we've had, they've always been far more rough in their play towards one another than our big horses have ever been towards them. The big horses usually just trot around behind them, while they bite, kick, rear and strike and one another - even though it's playful, it's still ALOT more 'dangerous' than anything our big horses have pulled. SO, if I had a choice of pairing him with a pony or the 29 year old - the 29 year old is getting put in with him. That's just my experience with the horses that have come through here. It's quite a sight to watch a miniature beat another miniature with a jolly ball o_O If I'd only had a video camera.

You all have to keep in mind, I don't have 134013784981 miniatures running around here. Rizer is the start, we're not breeders by any means yet so we dont have weanlings and other horses to choose from.

For me personally I wouldn't work a weanling how to lounge either. I do do it however as yearlings and I know people will say OMG that poor baby, it is ok if done in moderation and never had a problem with it.

You can train your baby with other things and it can learn and play at the same time. Teach him to piviot, learn to back, learn to clip, learn to get in the trailer, learn to lead at a walk and trot on both sides of the horse, that could be a good work out for both the horse and yourself trust me. Teach him some obstacle stuff, get his brain working. Again all of this is done in moderation. Also getting him a good size pen to run and play in would be beneficial for him as well. I just ask to hold off on the lounging for right now. He sounds like he is a smart lil guy tho.

You all have to keep in mind, I don't have 134013784981 miniatures running around here. Rizer is the start, we're not breeders by any means yet so we dont have weanlings and other horses to choose from.
Rizer might be your start, but he will also be your last if you continue to do what you are doing.

NO weanling should be exercised, expecially lounged. How old is he? Where is his dam?

Who was willing to sell you one where you had no place to keep him and no other MINI horse to keep him company? I do not care how old your big horse is and how gentle it is. It only takes once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're assuming alot Riverdance, and I personally do not appreciate your bashing, thanks. We have several places to keep him, but apparently you decided to read beyond that. We constantly move our roundpen to different spots in the yard so they can graze moderately on better grass. Rizer is kept in the safest spot we have - the safest and the dryest, considering the wet mess we had a month or so back. I'm asking one little question - just like someone else did awhile back, and I'm receiving the SAME horrible treatment they did.

I personally keep my show horses moved around, by themselves and with company despite their size. I've had to fight a herdbound horse before and I will be darned if I'm going to do it again. They are show horses, and they won't always have company and they need to get use to that.

Honestly, he's given shelter, food, and the proper maintenance care so how DARE you judge me for deciding to keep him by himself when it's the safest solution for him? It's not like I'm beating him, starving him, letting the mosquitoes carry him off or letting him fend for himself in the elements. You can bash how I keep my horses all you wish, but they're cared for and loved and aslong as they are getting everything they need, your opinion on my ownership skills do not matter to me.

Latest posts

Back