Weanling cough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
I've had my miniature for a little over a week and just noticed she had a little cough today. She was eating grain and after a little while coughed a few times. She also coughed a little after running around the pasture. We have been getting colder weather at night compared to usual but she is showing no other symptoms of illness...acts the same, eats well, no discharge, no labored breathing. I was hoping for some input on what it could be and if I need to be calling the vet right away. Thanks so much!

My gelding does this sometimes when he runs alot or eats too fast, he also does this after a show sometimes. Nothing comes out or anything. But him coughing rarley is normal to us, i dont know how serious it could be with a weanling. If i were in your situation, i would call a vet just to ask what to do, but i dont know if this is the right thing to do, so i think you should wait for an expert to tell you what you should do
default_smile.png

Bailey

Last edited by a moderator:
I would encourage you to call the vet.

Several years ago, I bought two weanling colts from a well known farm. When they arrived, one had an occassional cough, and a slightly snotty nose sometimes. The other seemed fine. I didn't think anything was very wrong because the both ate and played. But mainly because they were babies, I had the vet out promptly and it turned out it was VERY serious. They both had Rhodo. Pnuemonia. We treated them with a combination of antibiotics and were deligent and hands on, however, they both died. I have never in my life lost animals in that way and it was a shock and obviously terrible.

I will not ever forget how in a foal, something can be very serious, or get very serious fast.

Most likely, your baby doesn't have anything near this serious, however, if so, timely treatment is crucial.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could also be worms--ascarids migrate into the lungs and can cause coughing. It could be that there was a respiratory infection earlier and this is just some residual coughing--it can take time for the lungs to heal after a flu infection--or it could be an active infection that isn't too serious but is causing the cough.

It could also be dust. If it has been dry where you are like it has here you probably have lots of dust and that can certainly make your baby cough. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem is to call the vet and have him checked out. Most likely it is not anything too serious but sometimes the fact that we notice something is our 6th sense nudging us and if the vet gives him a clear bill of health you will rest better.

I wouldn't hesitate, as others have stated, I would call the vet ASAP! It could be a virus, when were they vaccinated, it could be dust, it's been dry, it could be worms, when was he/she wormed. Lots of questions and I would gather all my info and call the vet out. Lung problems can be life threatening in foals.

Rhodococcus and Lawsonia are both bugs that affect weanlings. Both cause minor respiratory symptoms at first. Both can kill. Call your vet!

Latest posts

Back