Weak flexor tendon question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
I'm sure it varies, but in general how long to fully correct? I had a colt born in Feb. and he was back on his heels pretty good. He had his first trim about 2 weeks ago. My regular farrier refused to trim him so I found a new farrier. After his first trim he was still rocking back quite a bit more than I expected. I've been turning him out during the day in our sand paddock as I thought this would help strengthen the tendons. When I put him on a solid surface two days ago I noticed that on each step he was stepping down correctly on his foot and then rocking back. He was trimmed again this morning and I was so excited to see him standing today upright and correct for the first time since he was born. I know we're making progress and he'll get there I just want to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. He is a super tiny gorgeous colt.

How long does it take to fully correct? My new farrier is still learning minis and we're trying to determine an appropriate trimming schedule for him. I think the two weeks we went this time was just a little too long.

Thankyou,

Depending on the severeness of the lax tendons, wrasping the toes either every week or every two is a good idea, from our experience.

We've also allowed the foal daily excersize with mom just like any other foal. We never restrict them, but never push them either.

Our average "turn-around" time with seeing obvious improvement is about 2 or 3 weeks.

On a side note -- because we are in a low to zero level for selenium in our soil, we give our foals a selenium and E shot at birth. There have been a few foals that have required a second shot a week or two later - with the okay from our vet. I would say very few have needed this, but when they did, the results were dramatic.

MA

I had read on here before about the selenium and vitamine E shots and I asked our vet about it and I was told "No, it will correct on its own in time". He is almost 2 mos old.

Selenium is not an issue in our area, but we have had some foals who are lax like this. Some come up quickly, some take a couple of months or so to fully stand up. One mare in particular has super nice refined babies, but they are all like this at first. I had her on Platinum Performance this year and this filly is coming up much faster than the others have. Had one a few years ago that we ended up building little "skis" for on her hind feet, with popsicle sticks. Sounds like you are on the right track, just keep up with his feet - as miniv said just a little rasping every week or so.

Jan

I had read on here before about the selenium and vitamine E shots and I asked our vet about it and I was told "No, it will correct on its own in time". He is almost 2 mos old.

Being in Florida, the selenium in the soil may not be a problem. For regions with adequate or especially high selenium levels, an animal can "overdose" and a whole different set of problems can surface......an animal can be so badly overdosed that it can lead to death, from what I've read. WE will never have that problem in our area.

You were smart to talk to your vet about it. Every vet I've known has a continental map showing the regions where the different levels of selenium are.

I've seen a poor copy of a map on the internet when I googled the subject, but can't remember where I found it.

MA

we bought a filly once like this. our farrier did a rolled toe trim and the results were amazing. the farrier before had trimmed her twice and she would be better for a week and then go back. Once the new one did the rolled toe it never came back

I agree with keeping a foal trimmed or rasped( by a professional) evry twoo weeks as needed until thefoal is a few months old. I have found this aids in keeping legs straight.

Also that excerise is the key to strengthening the tendons. Let him out to run as long as the weather is decent.

Our experience is that they usually turn around in 2 days to 3 weeks time.

Last year, we had an exception. We had a filly with exceptional long and thin legs (very beautifull but she was very weak in her tendons). After a few months and regulars hooftrims (especially did weekly rolled toe trims) she got much better, but still not good. Especially when she was tired, she went down on her heels again. It did become 100% good, but that took 6 months all together. Now she's perfect (yearling). :bgrin

Thankyou, I'm not sure what a "rolled toe trim" is but I'm sure my farrier will and I will talk to him about it. He's still shaky but making progress.

Thanks again,

Back