We WON!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
Is there anything this horse CAN'T do? I don't think so...she is a true superhorse in my eyes! She has done plenty of winning in the breed ring for me, including a Reserve National Champion in Country Pleasure driving and top tens in halter and ammy versatility. She "retired" for a year, and gave birth to a most darling baby colt (that I will never sell!). Now she is back in the harness, and looking fine!

Even though I had surgery to remove a kidney stone on Thursday, I packed up my mare and my cart and took off on Friday for the Happ's Driving Trials Twice. I had done my entries several weeks before and decided to bypass the training level test, as I felt strongly that she was coming together well, and fast. So I entered her into the Prelim Single VSE division, where we would be tested against some very experienced horses and drivers.

On Saturday we did respectably in Marathon, even "winning" at one hazard with the fastest time. I was so excited about that! We also had a double clean cones round. Unfortunately, our dressage score pulled us down, I had screwed up a little on the pattern mid-test, and overall the drive lacked quality. I must say though, that the test FELT great to me, she was so easy to work with and I really felt a lot of flow. So I was very hopeful that we could correct our errors on Sunday. We took a 3rd in the class, and during the awards presentation I also received the 2009 high-point award for the Equestrians Institute Driving Division in the Single VSE category. Very gratifying!

Sunday was great. I was able to sleep in a little, since I didn't drive until 10:30. Our dressage score improved dramatically, and with a double clear in cones we moved up to 2nd place. I looked at the score sheet, and felt that I could probably hold 2nd if I ran it fast and clean. In a teeny little corner of my brain I thought that MAYBE we could win it, if we were absolutely perfect out on the marathon course.

Perfect. Such a hard thing to accomplish. I don't know that we did THAT well, but it was dang near it. Flirty and I were of one mind, and our marathon was simply fantastic. She ran every single hazard except one in the fastest time, sometimes significantly so. The one that we didn't get the fastest time, we still were second. It was amazing, incredible, fantastic, wonderful, and fabulous! All I can say is that every time I have asked this mare for something, she gives everything she has in her to me. I adore her! She has been my dream come true, in every regard. Flirty, WHAT A HORSE!!!

The results at the end of Sunday were just amazing to me. We won our prelim class, best overall prelim, and most improved Prelim from Saturday to Sunday. I was over the moon, for sure.

Here are some pics:

Dressage6.jpg

Dressage4.jpg

Dressage1.jpg

Cones5.jpg

Cones4.jpg

Cones3.jpg

Cones2.jpg

Cones1.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!
default_firstprize.gif

Congrats!! I am very impressed, and your excitement comes through loud and clear!! So good to hear it!!

Mary

Congratulations, Amy! Your joy in Flirty is obvious and well-deserved and I love your turnout! There's nothing like a pretty black bay and the green sets her off wonderfully.
default_wub.png
I'm also in continual awe of your ability to compete with kidney stones or recovering from surgery for kidney stones. You're one dedicated individual!
default_laugh.png

Can't wait until Kody's back in harness so we can compete head to head. He got those same titles the last two years you know!
default_wink.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Amy!!! You need a spank on the butt! Take care of yourself!!!!

Then again I am very happy that she and you did so well. Congrats I know that is a wonderful feeling!!!!

Oh CONGRATS! You are a very dedicated, loving equine "mom!"

Thank you so much for sharing the photos! They're lovely!

Congratulations again.

Now...I hope you take time to recover! :p

God bless!

Amy You both look great in the photos. Congratulations on your wins.

Do you use the same cart in the marathon too?

Absolutely, absolutely AWESOME! Congratulations!

You have a very talented horse and have trained her well. You love her and she 'reads' that and gives everything in return. Awesome! It doesn't happen often that we humans find that special bond, but when we do.......Oh My!

Congratulations!

Charlotte

Congratulations!! She looks great in the photos, you both look like you're having so much fun!!

How tall is Flirt? I ask because she looks like she's an okay size for the Smart Cart, yet I've always figured that it was too big for a 34 and under ... not that I can afford one, and so far I've been happy with using our show carts in the grand total of two combined driving shows I've been in!

Congratulations!!!!

It is always extra exciting when you have worked really hard with your horse to make a great team.

KENDRA: Flirty is about 33.5" at the last mane hair. The Smart Cart does fit her well, and it is nowhere near the adjustments that could be made to make the cart its smallest.

I will say that the height of the horse isn't necessarily the deciding factor on whether the cart is hard to pull or not. Esprit, who is the same height as Flirty, has a harder time pulling it. They have similar builds also. I think a lot has to do with maturity (Esprit is 2 years younger than Flirty). I expect that as he gets older and more conditioned to driving, it will all be easier for him. I absolutely love the Smart Cart. I believe we have the largest population of VSE combined drivers up here in this area, and the Pacific is hands down the most popular vehicle for all sizes of horse, with the Bellcrown second.

DEBORAH: yes, I use my Smart Cart for everything. In dressage/cones I dress it up a little with the Patine Dash, and in Marathon it is back to the bar dash so I can attach my info sheets.
default_smile.png

Hope that answers everyone's questions!

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Love all the pictures! What a beautiful turnout.
default_biggrin.png
You and Flirty are quite the team.

Created a YouTube video including all three phases of the Driving Trial! What a gal this little Flirty girl is. See if you don't agree.
default_wub.png
:wub

Amy That was a wonderful video. Thanks for the link! It really shows a bit about the 3 parts to a CDE.

You guys look great and it does capture how much fun you are having!

Back