We know if Crystal is pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Well I got the answer I wanted/needed. Crystal continued to get bigger and bigger in the belly. Everyone thought she had to be pregnant. But today she came into heat. Its probably better shed not pregnant, but I admit Im a little sad over it. A little mini foal would have been so cute.

mini

Crystal calls to the big horses I know she wants a friend. I was holding off to see if she was pregnant because I am only gonna own two minis [or at least try my best haha] But since shes not pregnant I guess Im on the hunt for a mini. Haha. Found my dream mini as far as looks. Sooo cute hubby said alright we can spend bit more then planned for you to get what you want, the filly sold in a day!! Before I could get her. Bummer again!! Cause I am two hours away from where she was. Is it the right thing to do, get her a buddy? And should her buddy be older then shes 19 yrs old? Or would a younger one be okay? Diet time for Crystal, LOL Maybe a buddy will make her run more LOL

Sorry to hear that Crystal isn't in foal - have you tried testing her as some mares do show a heat inspite of being pregnant, plus, depending upon where you live in the world, I'm suprised that she is showing a heat now at the end of the summer when there has been no sign of one earlier in the year?

But regarding a companion, I wouldn't get anything too young as the 'babies' really need other youngsters to play/race/chase around with. No need to find another mini as old as Crystal either - anywhere between say 5 and 15 would be fine depending upon what you want to do with her.

Good luck, and do let us know all the details once you find your new girl.
default_yes.gif

That is the one hesitation we have with my 26yr old QH who just went through a spine injury here a month ago. We havent turned him back into the field mainly because of my 2 yr old mini who likes to play; the gypsys arent bad in trying to get him to play, they are really laid back, but my mini is a full out stinker when it comes to aggrivating my bigger horse. I agree with one about 5+ years would be a okay match

I have only owned her around 3 months and I did not notice one in the three month. We have a gelding [regular size horse] that was gelded late in life and still thinks he is a stud. The big mares "flirt" at him when they are in heat and beg him to bred them. He even did the deed with one mare, so we had to seperate him from the mares. She was turned out on the 3.3 acres we owned and went over to him and as just begging to be bred. Dont mean to be detailed/gross but she was in position and giving him all the signs. Then gave more of those same signs when she was put away and for days after that. Could she still be pregnant? I have no done a test, was waiting for it to be enough days to do a 120, cause everyone said that was better, then she seemed to come into heat.

Okay we were looking at a gorgeous 2yr old, but I thought she might be to young. I will for sure show off her and her buddy if/when we get one. A big breeder in AZ is having a sale on alot of their minis, Im a bit afraid to go look. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you say it does sound as though she's not in foal, but it wouldn't hurt to do the Wee Test 120 just to confirm.

Go on - have a look at that sales list!!

O, she could be pregnant.

Had a friend's two draft mare's fence flirt with my little guy all winter. Both would come into fantastic heats, all ready to go and everything. Assumed they weren't pregnant.

10 months later, they didn't even look a little pregnant. And he woke up to a filly in the field one morning without so much as any warning whatsoever. Mare ended up rejecting filly, who became a freaking adorable bottle baby.

With my cattle, they will stand and mount when pregnant at times too. Dunno why. Vet says its simply because "they want it."

I'd still get a blood test done.

Just be careful.....I have one mare that never shows heat until right at the end of her pregnancy when her hormones are on the run everywhere. She will stand, pee, wink and beg and I imagine would even let him mount if he were able to. She will do this the last two to three months of her pregnancy - has done it every time - she's such a hussy!

From what you say it does sound as though she's not in foal, but it wouldn't hurt to do the Wee Test 120 just to confirm.

Go on - have a look at that sales list!!
Oh No. I looked!! LOL

Hmm I would have swore this mare was pregnant. Her belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger and shes getting good exercise and not large amounts of hay..
default_smile.png

Just throwing this out there but besides a pregnancy test, are you treating her for worms and sand?

Seems strange she is growing like that.........

Just throwing this out there but besides a pregnancy test, are you treating her for worms and sand?

Seems strange she is growing like that.........
Yes I wormed her and I had two fecals done. No worms. And she is given sand prevention stuff, I forget how to spell it pysullenium? Something like that I think it is Id have to look. A friend of mine that has minis was out before she came into heat and she to was like she had to be pregnant, though she doesn't have experience with pregnant minis. I just dont get with how little food she gets how shed not be pregnant and still growing. She sure seemed in heat though. I dont know.

How 'bout a couple of pictures? A good side view down at her level, and one from the back looking down her sides at her level.

And hope you find that forever friend for her (and you!).

When I was into Paso's my stallion bred a mare. Owner wanted to leave her here for a month to make sure. Never came back into heat. Vet checked at home, not pg. They put her into a training program and I told them not to do anything they would do if she was pg. They vet checked her again at 6 mos, not pg. At 9 mos the trainer told them he needed to send her home.... need to ease off the training for her to foal.... Yeah still 100% for my stallion on first try.....

His 1/2 sister would breed all the way up til the last couple of weeks before foaling if you would let her and then became a terror ......

So without a blood test on a new mare with no foaling history, you'd do better to get her tested.

When I was into Paso's my stallion bred a mare. Owner wanted to leave her here for a month to make sure. Never came back into heat. Vet checked at home, not pg. They put her into a training program and I told them not to do anything they would do if she was pg. They vet checked her again at 6 mos, not pg. At 9 mos the trainer told them he needed to send her home.... need to ease off the training for her to foal.... Yeah still 100% for my stallion on first try.....

His 1/2 sister would breed all the way up til the last couple of weeks before foaling if you would let her and then became a terror ......

So without a blood test on a new mare with no foaling history, you'd do better to get her tested.
I actually have a foaling history for her. Shes has had 7 foals. But as far as I know not one recently. I think 2002 was her last. Least that I found record of. Shes is 19 yrs old. I got her 6-29-2013. The lady before me had her in with a stud from March 29th to when I bought her. The lady before that was a handicapped woman that owned her for a few yrs before that, she was not bred in those year she had her, we know for sure. Just what I know on her history.

Tart!!!

On the other hand I have a gelding who always looks like he is having twins (tomorrow).
Yeah my donkey "gelding" looked pregnant when we got him LOL

How 'bout a couple of pictures? A good side view down at her level, and one from the back looking down her sides at her level.

And hope you find that forever friend for her (and you!).
I will get some updated pics tomorrow.

Okay I got the best pics I could. Im really tall and have back problems so getting at her level was kind of hard. LOL

5klzxz.jpg

fo12t5.jpg

23sztp3.jpg

2mdrju9.jpg

When I got her almost 3 months ago.

bgwsvc.jpg

Geez. She sure is lopsided! And those bumps on either side are pretty low down, although from the side view she doesn't looke like there is any "drop". But then we've had some mares look completely non-pregnant, and deliver within weeks. Humph!

23sztp3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah thats what has always got me. She looks even in "real life" very lopsided. Those pics are how she looks lopsided when you look at her straight on, with her standing proper. How can a "hay" belly be lopsided?

I am at a lose... but she acted very in heat for a few days. I dont know. No opinion yes or no?

Diane, Caddy looked like that for awhile, and unless it was late season immaculate conception, she's just fat (and I'm bummed).

Crystalsowner, just a few questions: How tall is she? Do you know her weight? And, what exactly is she eating? [hay type or pasture? amount? any commercial feed? What? How much?

She doesn't look fat (nor "skinny" in the wrong places), but that belly is perplexing (could be baby bump).

Looks like pg to me and maybe a little earlier in with the stud..... she's 19 and already had 7 foals..... so she would have some stretched stomach muscles. If you take a rear view photo of her every week you should she a difference in the side bumps... shifting and size

Back