We have a baby!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
My maiden mare Peggy had the world's easiest birth last night. I was watching her on camera. She went up and down maybe 3 times and then I saw her water break. Ran down to the barn and she was down pushing. 10 minutes later her colt was born!! The bag didn't break, so really glad I was there. He did well right from the start. Within 1/2 hour he was bucking and running around the stall!! He found the milk bar fairly easily too. He's an appy. Not sure on the color. Maybe you all can help?? Dad is a silver buckskin and mom is a dun appy. Is this little guy a silver buckskin, a dun, a ??. Lots and lots of spots. All the way up his neck.

I'm concerned about his front legs. They seem to buckle back at the knees and he is down on his pasterns. Will this stenghthen on it's own or does he need braces to assist? Never had one like this, so don't know what to do.

After the tragedy last week of losing 2 babies in 2 days, I cannot tell you how grateful and happy I am to have a healthy baby!! I was so scared that something else would go wrong. I kept telling myself that I had had good luck with all my other mini babies. Just because of some bad luck didn't mean I was doomed to have totally bad luck going forward.

Anyway....here's the little guy. Better pix later.

colt4-16.jpg

colt24-16.jpg

Congrats on your new spotted boy! As for the legs they should strengthen and straighten up. I was advised by my vet when I had a colt with the same condition not to let him overdo in the running till they strengthened so we kept mom and baby in a 12 x 12 paddock for two weeks. Colt straightened right up.

Tammie

OOO look at those spots, love 'em! What a cutie, CONGRATS!

Congratulations! His legs should straighten up, I do think he needs confinement too but maybe you should just call and touch base with your vet.

Congratulations Kim! I'm SO happy for you! He sure does have spots! Wow! I think his legs will be fine.

default_smile.png

WOW! What a super colt!! :aktion033: I think he is dun factored... and like everyone else has said, his legs should be fine in a couple of days.. let mom and baby have some monitored "out' time in an area where he will have a chance to work on those legs.. he should be up and around in no time!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Latest posts

Back