We got our first Horse! (Opinions on 2 needed)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethC

Reaction score
We got our first horse!! Yesterday we went to look at a horse and fell in love. The owners were having a few second thoughts about selling him and also the vet had been out the day before and he had to do a little work due to a previous sinus infection (so even if they knew they would sell him he wouldn't have been ready to come home that day).

Anyway, I called them this morning and told them we would love to have him as part of our family if they did decide to sell him and they said YES!!!!!! We are so excited! He won't come home for a little while they need to be sure he is all OK from the vet work first. As soon as he does we will post pictures. I am hoping by next month this time we will have him here.

He is a blue roan pinto gelding and he is very calm, kind and beautiful to boot. He has also been shown and had driving training and is AMHA and AMHR registered.

Our original plan was two get two horses. A gelding (Moon) and a weanling colt in the fall. We thought this would give us some time to get used to our first horse and also we learn so much all the time and I know that learning will speed up a lot when we get our horse home. Yesterday when we went to look at Moon we also visited a friend of his owners farm. They had a little black yearling gelding who was very friendly and quite a character. He was calm and no bad habits - but he is young and does need a little more work (for example in his halter he really wanted to eat the grass rather than keep his head up).

So anyone who has feedback about getting two horses at the same time as a first horse versus getting one and adding one a few months later (meaning Moon would be an only horse for a few months) I would love to hear. Our primary concern is that our horses are happy and healthy, I don't want Moon to be lonely without a friend since he is a herd animal and that will be our primary decision making factor as to how we proceed.

Yay!! We're so excited ... :aktion033:

BethC

Congratulations! You learn lots from these little guys. I would get two - they are herd animals and need companionship. I think they'll both settle in better for you if they are both new - they'll have to develop thweir pecking order at first and then they'll settle in happily. Best wishes and Go For It!

Congratulations! It's so refreshing to hear your thoughtful, loving approach to your horses! It sounds like you'll make fantastic horse parents.

Since you know you will get a second horse in the not-too-distant future, and since you've found a nice, well-started yearling that you like, I would get both now. A single horse CAN do fine, but it will need even more attention from you, as you would be his herd.

Whether you get one or two, I would look for someone (perhaps one of the sellers) with horse experience to mentor you and get you all off to a great start. Whatever the age of the horse, they can really take advantage of you if you haven't been around horses.

Good luck, and keep reading this forum -- you'll find it to be an incredible source of information and support.

Latest posts

Back