Water Fasting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning.
default_smile.png
No "BREAK fast" for me today... :lol:

LOL Lisa! I think I might be closer to 115 when I stop.
default_yes.gif
:

I just wanted to say to definitely check with your doctor before doing any sort of fast. I am not a doctor or a nurse nor do I have any sort of training in any medical field, whatsoever. There are definitely some people who could be hurt by fasting and people have died. It's not a cure-all and isn't for everyone.

Well, I can tell you there's no way on earth I'd do this. I wouldn't have the will power (sounds like a form of torture to me), but also, I couldn't function and do my job if I didn't eat at least a little something.

I've been doing a diet since before New Years and it's working great and very easy for me to stick to (NEVER hungry). Between the diet I'm on and exercising each day, I'm getting good results and still able to run my business w/o passing out.

That's great, Jill.
default_smile.png
Keep it going...
default_yes.gif
:

I'm not fasting only for weight loss, BTW. It's a way to detox my body and start a new way of living. When I'm done I'll be adjusting my diet back to what it should be.

If I tried I'd disappear!!
NOw now Krispy no rubbing in how much of a tooth pick you are. I only wish I could be half as thin as you are :no:

That said, I could never do this. I get sick(throwing up sick) if I do not eat. Also with my other meds and what not, I dont think it would be a bright Idea for me to even try it.

:risa_suelos: Yikes, shmini... I hope you're not doing that RIGHT NOW while you're at the computer! :new_shocked: LOL!!

Right in the middle of doing a colon cleanse, at least it is a start
I don't really "get" the whole colon cleanse thing, I have seen folks on TV selling a colon cleanse product but when you see a colonoscopy done, there is nothing in there at all, looks like a pink tunnel. I know that you do have to do the whole laxative thing before you have the procedure done so is that all a colon cleanse is doing??

Poodles, what do you do when you are talking to someone and their head suddenly looks like a juicy cheeseburger???? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right in the middle of doing a colon cleanse, at least it is a start
I don't really "get" the whole colon cleanse thing, I have seen folks on TV selling a colon cleanse product but when you see a colonoscopy done, there is nothing in there at all, looks like a pink tunnel.
Well having one done a while ago you get cleaned out let me say that YIKES...Drinking that gal of liquid the night before sure cleans a person out but good~! That was the toughest part of having that procedure done is the day and night before spending so much time in the "little Room" And I shall leave it at that..

LOL! That hasn't happened to me YET although I know I won't be listening to Jimmy Buffett's "Cheeseburger In Paradise" song for a while. It's bad enough going into the kitchen and seeing those two boxes of SLIM JIMS sitting on the counter... knowing that in the cubboard is all sorts of candy (Starburst, Twix, Oreos, peanut butter, etc.)... and then just turning to the fridge (ignoring the pizza, pasta, bread, jelly, pop, etc.) and reaching for a big bottle of refreshingly tasteless DASANI WATER. Yum yum!
default_wink.png
:

This is what came to MY mind reading all this: we are sooo careful not to quickly reduce a mini's feed when we want them to make a change, for fear of that dreadful liver condition (can't remember the name of it right off, starts with an L). I wonder if there is a risk of something similar if a person just STOPS eating and throws some important organs into shock?

Jayne

Here's one thing to keep in mind: horses are grazers. They are meant to eat and eat and eat and eat. You are right that it is VERY bad for them to stop. When talking about people, fasting isn't for everybody, that's for sure. Yes, people can hurt themselves fasting and some have died. There have been several people who have replied to this thread that they could not possibly go without food and it's great that they know themselves well enough to not try it. When I posted this topic, I never thought it would get any replies. I hope no one out there would start a fast just because they saw this topic without first doing their own research and talking to their doctor...
default_wacko.png
:

This is what came to MY mind reading all this: we are sooo careful not to quickly reduce a mini's feed when we want them to make a change, for fear of that dreadful liver condition (can't remember the name of it right off, starts with an L). I wonder if there is a risk of something similar if a person just STOPS eating and throws some important organs into shock?

Jayne
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

And regarding cleansing, not going to pretend to really understand the reason why fasting does this or supposedly does this but I drink a lot of water and in my head as I'm drinking it (seriously, like 200 ounces a day!!!!!!!) I am like chanting "the solution to polution is dilution".

In my experience, for me personally, the diet that really works best for me in terms of being able to stick to it fairly long term, feeling healthy and not being hungry constantly is kind of like a moderate low carb diet. Sugar busters is probably more like it than Atkins, for me.

l'd be to chicken to try that though l have a girlfriend who does and has for many years but usually for 14 days at a time she has no problem and does get a little slow moving and talking towards the end of the 2 weeks. lf she had a day job l don't think she could water fast the way she does and still function and l for one would never get in a car she was driving when she's on her fast that is scarey. She does mention once she starts to eat solids again she gets cramps if she's not careful on what she puts in her mouth. To me sounds like torture. :lol:

Actually all major religions have days of fasting.......and many people fast when they get sick.....short term fasts 2-4 days are very safe ...longer term fasts should be supervised by doctors......I have done it off and on over the years due to stomach problems and food allergies...or to jump start better eating when my eating habits have gone to heck......humans being omnivores are designed to withstand periods of fasting just like other species........many third world countries eat almost nothing compared to an average american diet but the foods they eat are healthier and they often fast as a part of life without ill effects. This isn't new it has gone on for a long time..................I am going with a happy medium....juice and yogurt smoothies until friday then water all weekend and maybe I can kick this dumb flu/cold/pneumonia...whatever it is it needs to leave
default_wink.png
: besides this way I actually will take in more and better nutrition since I haven't been eating much anyway
default_wacko.png
:

thanks for the reminder .......

Ok I've come here to this thread twice and kept quiet. While I agree cleaning bad things from the body is good....the fasting part is IMHO not good. Drink lots of water sure but where is the harm is fresh fruits and vegetables? Oatmeal? Your body and it's organs, blood, brain NEED certain things to function. 30 days seems very extreme. If not dangerous. As I read here I am overcome with a bad feeling so please be very very careful.

This has sparked my interest, I decided I'd do this, sounds ok. But like always, I wanted to run it by Holly, my daughter in law, who owns a health food store and has gone to college and is some type of health person, I believe she knows what she's talking about. After her response, which is what I'm going to be adding to this, I won't do it. I'd suggest folks do talk to there doctors before trying it. Here's Hollys response, take it or leave it. I think I'll take it.

No water fast. A century ago, sure, do it. In today's toxic, polluted world, your body can't detox the poisons fast enough without getting most people very, very ill. I would suggest the following: 2 days of a raw food diet, eating only fresh fruits and vegetables, followed by a 3 day juice fast. The juices should be organic when available, and should be ones rich in enzymes, such as papaya and pineapple juice. I also like a good organic apple juice in the mix, but don't drink commercial "clear" apple juice. It should look brown, as real apple juice does. Carrot juice is also great for detoxing. Follow your juice fast by eating mild foods that are easy on the digestive system, such as vegetable soup.

I love this detox diet. You may feel weak during the process, but you will feel like a million bucks afterward. If you can keep up with eating more raw, unprocessed foods in your diet, you will continue to feel great afterward too

I have to admit that these fasts continues to amaze me and attracks my attention. I've read through everything. I'm going to try something, not sure what yet but will try a fast of some kind.

I'm following Paul McKenna's diet- you can eat what you like, quite literally, but he guarantees to have you lose weight. Now this guy is a hypnotist non pareil- he has worked with people with real and deep phobias and Yes, he has been a "stage hypnotist" but he also has ALL the letters after his name and has always been very careful what he did and does- no accidents on his shows.

His attitude is simple.

Yo have to be committed to lose weight and you have to do as he says.

Then, all he asks you to do are really simple, straightforward common sense things.

He asks yo to think about eating.

So, I no longer get up and eat breakfast.

I get up and ask myself, "am I hungry?" If the answer is No I do not eat. If it is Yes I do. Later in the morning if I ma hungry I eat. When I eat I have to think about every mouthful and be prepared to not finish my food (A big No No with me- I ma part of the "clear your plate" generation)

Anyway, it is working for all the people in his audience and it is working for the then or so individuals and families he has chosen to highlight.

Remember none of us is being charged, the only fee he receives is the one from the TV company and he is not trying to sell you a book (although there is one if you need it)

I do drink lots of water, and I do make sure my motions are regular.

Apart from that I eat as normal.

I have lost 21lbs- put back on 6 just after Christmas- always a bad time for me- and am now losing it again.

I commend anyone thinking about making themselves more healthy, but that is what we must be sure we are doing!!
default_yes.gif
:

If you go to this website (that Triggy posted) http://www.themastercleanse.com they have a forum you can join and talk to lots of people that are doing it, done it, or thinking about doing it. I haven't decided yet.

I did do one a few years ago where you drank tea with some soy protein. I managed for 2 weeks (never thought I could) I did feel better after and I did lose weight.

Robin

Latest posts

Back