Watch those cattle panels...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
Sunny is my best show horse, he's two points away from his Hall of Fame, and now I doubt he'll ever get it. He rolled too close to the fence and got caught under it. When he stood up he ripped his back up something fierce. And he's one who scars easily- the hair doesn't grow back at all on him.

All the other panels are either on the ground or have a kick board at the bottom. Just one section doesn't, and that's the only place he could have gotten stuck. My poor boy.... I can't even drive him right now, the harness would definitely rub.

That fence is getting fixed. Now.

Please watch the BOTTOM of your fences, too. I would have NEVER expected him to get hurt on the bottom!!

My poor boy:

e90e8a97.jpg

If anyone as any ideas on wound cream that stops scarring, please LMK!! Right now I'm using Horseman's Dream.

Lucy

Sorry he got hurt! Leave it to a horse to find a way to hurt themselves. BUT dont give up on him, just take care of it and he will heal up and be fine. Horses heal amazingly well. And even if it shows a little after healing just show him anyway. Judges know horses can get hurt, they wont discount him for a scar.

OMGosh! I'm so sorry that happened. Thanks for the warning!

I do agree that knowledgeable judges don't take off for scars. They know it's part of what happens when you're a horse - even to a show horse.

I showed last year with a horse that had had surgery and had tons of scarring on one of its sides. VERY obvious scarring. It always placed well and I could tell it was being placed on its conformation and not on its scars.

Good luck to you and I hope he heals well and quickly!
default_yes.gif
:

Vitamin E Gel or cream should help some, and when it is healed, rubbing in some "Mane and Tail" conditioner might help as well. Keep it from getting too dry, once it has healed-over.

Sorry your boy got hurt. Thanks for the warning. I'm with the others though......I think that's going to heal up just fine! :bgrin

:no: i am so sorry about your guy. i hope he recovers well. my mini cut his hoof on the cattle wire.Horses are like children always into something.You can have it childproof, but they will found a way to hurt themselves.So don't blame yourself about it, accidents happen.

keep us posted.

Oh dear, poor Sunny! :new_shocked: That looks like it hurt. I'll send good wishes that it heals up fast.

Leia

Floridachick has absolutely the right idea!! Underwoods is the best and easiest to use. Wouldn't want to be without it.

Rita

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic ointment. You get it at the drug store. Neosporin is the name brand, but you can get generic (that's what I do). It's sold for people.

dang my vet in illnois gave me some special creme to heal cuts without scarring. I cant remember the name but it worked like magic! we had a gelding cut his chest almost identical to your guy. within 2 weeks you couldnt even see it. It was thick yellow and smelled bad but it sure worked

Hey, thinking out loud -- there is some product now (I think over the counter) they advertise on TV for kids that prevents / limits scarring. I have seen the comerical 1000 times and can't think of the name. Maybe that product would help, though I do agree the scar should not count against him in halter as it's obviously from an injury vs. genetics... 2pts! That is so close and if he were mine, I'd for sure still be aiming for them as it sounds VERY do-able.

What i mean is, if neosporin is safe for people, why not animals? It's a great ointment with painkiller available in it and I would think as long as its not by the eyes or genitals, it would be safe to use? Why not? (again, I don't have a clue this is why I am asking lol!)

I don't know and could be wrong (I'd ask my vet) but in this case, I don't think neosporin would be a "bad" choice, just maybe not the best.

However, in deep cuts on a horse, you would NOT want to use it. You do not want a deep cut to heal over the top first. It causes an abscess / build up of fluid and infection since the wound cannot drain. For whatever reason, horses are predisposed to abscess.

Last edited by a moderator:
jill is exactly right. the cream my vet gave me he said would heal the cut from the inside out. Dang I had written down the name but when we moved i lost it. I have never seen anything work like this stuff did. Im sure you could call them and get the name. Or call your own vet because they probably know about the stuff

Was it Fura-Septin, Kay?

That is a good thing to have on hand and is part of my horse medical kit (at the advice of Erica actually).

What about Corona Ointment? It's Lanolin rich, and keeps the skin soft and supple as it heals. You can usually get it at Tractor Supply or most feed stores. Hope this helps. Gosh, sure hope he heals well soon for you.
default_wub.png
:

EDITED: Actually, I just read the lable of my tube of it that I have here. It's mainly for minor cuts and stuff. May not be best for a deep cut, such as this.
default_sad.png

I seem to vageuly remember something called "Cut Heal" or something like that. It's a fish oil based liquid that you apply, and it heals from the inside out. It's nasty smelling stuff though. Also, there's "Wonder Dust", a dry powder that also promotes healing from inside out. Both are usually carried at most feed supply stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
That ointment advertised on TV was Mederma...or something like that.

I wonder if that would work on horses??? Might be worth a try...
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back